New Free Video Series "Self-Defense - Real Encounters"

Ian Kinder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Self Defense - Real Encounters Episode 1 by Live Safe Academy, LLC

Please enjoy, benefit and share.

An honest look at real crime, and real world methods to be safe.

Violent crime is graphic. Viewer discretion advised.

Connect with Live Safe Academy, LLC

Last edited by a moderator:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well worth taking the time to watch and listen to thanks for posting Ian

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
if i may give my opinion, the interview and conversation was very valuable. however i did find the home invasion in clip #1 very disturbing because there was a child on the couch the entire time. i feel there can be value in showing graphic video when needed. maybe to get across the seriousness of a situation or as a visual starter point for a conversation on that particular situation. i feel there was no connection between this particular video footage and the rest of the content and information discussed. i feel the home invasion clip, because there was a child involved, over the top and nothing more than shock value. again this is just my opinion but the clip diminishes your ability to come across as a professional. there is a fine line when showing violent content and unfortuantly in this instance i think you crossed it.

OP
Ian Kinder

Ian Kinder

Orange Belt
Reaction score
if i may give my opinion, the interview and conversation was very valuable. however i did find the home invasion in clip #1 very disturbing because there was a child on the couch the entire time. i feel there can be value in showing graphic video when needed. maybe to get across the seriousness of a situation or as a visual starter point for a conversation on that particular situation. i feel there was no connection between this particular video footage and the rest of the content and information discussed. i feel the home invasion clip, because there was a child involved, over the top and nothing more than shock value. again this is just my opinion but the clip diminishes your ability to come across as a professional. there is a fine line when showing violent content and unfortuantly in this instance i think you crossed it.

Hi hoshin1600, thank you for watching the video and giving your feedback. I agree with you 100% that the video is hard to watch. The video really touched me because I had a women take my class several years ago because the exact same thing happen to her and her daughter. I heard the first hand account from her AND her daughter, who was only 8 years old at the time. It broke my heart.

One of the challenges with safety training is that most people aren't mentally prepared for how violent crime is. This was a rare look into a real home invasion and I thought is was important for people to see the reality for the purpose of helping people understand. We use the same method when training cops. It's hard to watch officers get murdered on video, but it saves lives. Having experienced a lot of violence myself, having been to many crime scenes with murder victims, have watched someone die of gunshot wounds, I can say that the lack of mental preparation is one of the greatest challenges when it comes to saving lives from violent crime.

I hope you keep watching our Real Encounters series and continue to share your feedback. I'm honored to have you watch our videos. :)

Stay Safe!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is very important that people see real violence caught on video. Having experienced violence I can tell you it is never pretty and having an idea of what it looks like can only help you in your preparation for personal protection!

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the challenges with safety training is that most people aren't mentally prepared for how violent crime is. This was a rare look into a real home invasion and I thought is was important for people to see the reality for the purpose of helping people understand

you may have missed my point. it was gratuitous violence. (Urban dictionary: Gratuitous violence is violence for the sake of being violent. Usually assocciated with low budget movies and cult videogames. Given without need.)
lets be real...you added the clip because you think your system of self defense adresses these violent issues better than a TMA, and you wanted people to see the clip and think to themselves ,,wow i need some real effective training and Live Safe Academy is the answer. your using the clip to help define the purpose of your system... thats all well and fine i have no issue with this, its pretty much standard marketing.
but i feel it wasnt done effectively and in a way that makes you look like a professional.
if the true to life story "broke your heart" then why not start your video with you giving a brief out line of the crime and how it effected you and how horrible it was for the victim, give a verbal disclaimer (which we all know makes people more apt to watch anyway) then after the crime clip explain how your system can be effective and from there make a smooth transition to where ever the conversation takes you. but the way you presented it, it had no value and no relevance to the conversation with your guest.

but if you like it,, i just thought i might give a little feed back since we share the same end goals and same target market. people who have gotten a bad first image of reality self defese systems, and spread that image to those they know makes it harder for the rest of us to be seen in a positive light.

Latest Discussions