What could you do to improve your style?

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking at the various styles we all practice, have you ever asked yourself, is there something missing, such as ground fighting, self defence, condition, reality training, sensitivity training drills, sparring multiple opponents, defence against weapons, meditation etc.
I know form many traditional styles such as Karate bringing in new ideas would be deemed inappropriate but could be detrimental if it is lacking something that could save your life in a real life encounter.

In my style, which is Shaolin Long fist, it is traditional and freestyle, we incorpoate a lot of grappling now and my instructor is open to new ideas. We may not beak boards but still it is a very practical system.

What wuld you like to see in your classes and how could your training be better and more orianated towards real combat?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well there will be some who are staedfast on their art as needing no additonal areas.

But as a individual seeking my own personal satisfaction, and given to the pressing words of my current instructor....

"one never stops learning"...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good little debate going in the TKD section for a bit about changing competition rules....

I think that would be a good start...

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, Nick.

I do a hybrid style of TKD. There's a mix of Chin Na in there, which is cool (My instructor also studied Shaolin Kung Fu. Forget which type, though). We also do weapons starting at red belt (bo, knife defenses and a cool looking sword form that looks like a Kung Fu form).

The only gripe I have about my instructor's style (it's definitely mixed with Kung Fu in some parts) is that there is no ground defenses. There are only two that are actually in the curriculum, but I think they are crap (just my opinion). Maybe it's because I did Judo long enough to know that it won't work.

But I DO like the fact that our self defense techniques use a lot of low kicks, elbow, knees, ect. Very cool :)

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well what I did to improve my style is mix it with others. My primary art was TKD. I LOVE TKD's kicks and hand strikes but decided I wanted to try other martial arts. My fiancee is teaching me ninjutsu and I've come up with my own art, guey lee do, which is a mix of dance and martial arts. How do u inprove your art? Mix it with others.:ultracool

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have also supplemented my main style with others. I added more kyusho, TKD, blocking drills from EPAK, grappling from judo and ju-jutsu, and some FMA, to spice it up. I have been scolded on numerous occasions by the more traditional masters in my style, but I could care less. If their students want to keep getting the crap kicked out of them by my students, then so be it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added some BJJ to better address the ground and some Arnis to address weapons in a wider fashion.

Mike

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I take Kenpo - I think more grappling and more 'realisitc situation' training would be a good start.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Samantha said:
I take Kenpo - I think more grappling and more 'realisitc situation' training would be a good start.
Good point on the realistic situation training. So far it seems nobody has listed adrenal stress training like Peyton Quinn's RMCAT.
icon14.gif

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
peyton quinn's what??

and for that matter - whos peyton quinn?
lol

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Samantha said:
peyton quinn's what??

and for that matter - whos peyton quinn?
lol

Check out his site at rmcat.com

He is a RBSD (Reality Based Self Defense) Instructor in Colorado that teaches adrenal stress conditioning. The course is designed to place people in a scenario so real that your body is unable to tell the difference between a drill and real life attack. This conditions the mind and body to react better when that adrenal rush happens.

Mike

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Good little debate going in the TKD section for a bit about changing competition rules....

I think that would be a good start...

Hi Bignick

I don't take part in competitions but I know form friends who study Taekwondo that you are not allowed to punch to the head but you can kick there? is this true? if so maybe this is something to be taken into consideration in the rules and also theres no kicking below the waist
Our san shou classes involve self defence, sparring, conditioning and grappling.The grappling is incorporated in the sparring because our competitions involve some grappling too.

OP
T

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
I agree, Nick.

I do a hybrid style of TKD. There's a mix of Chin Na in there, which is cool (My instructor also studied Shaolin Kung Fu. Forget which type, though). We also do weapons starting at red belt (bo, knife defenses and a cool looking sword form that looks like a Kung Fu form).

The only gripe I have about my instructor's style (it's definitely mixed with Kung Fu in some parts) is that there is no ground defenses. There are only two that are actually in the curriculum, but I think they are crap (just my opinion). Maybe it's because I did Judo long enough to know that it won't work.

But I DO like the fact that our self defense techniques use a lot of low kicks, elbow, knees, ect. Very cool :)

Interesting, maybe you could suggest this to your instructor. If he is open to new ideas he won't mind too much! I think it is almost essential to give your instructor feedback so we can learn more. A while a go we were disccusing learnign a new weapon that isn't even inour system and my instructor was saying he would have to go on a course and then teach us. He is always going on course trying to give us the best training he can and teach us new things.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Check out his site at rmcat.com

He is a RBSD (Reality Based Self Defense) Instructor in Colorado that teaches adrenal stress conditioning. The course is designed to place people in a scenario so real that your body is unable to tell the difference between a drill and real life attack. This conditions the mind and body to react better when that adrenal rush happens.

Mike
THATS EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!
maybe not quite that extreme, but we never do things fast enough or hard enough, in my opinon.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Samantha said:
THATS EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!
maybe not quite that extreme, but we never do things fast enough or hard enough, in my opinon.

Yes, having someone put on a suit and attack in the fashion that Peyton does it is not for everyone, but it does provide the chance to strike with some power w/o a fear of injury.

Resistance can still be incorporated into your regular training sessions. Take a technique. Once you have it good, have your 'attacker' start to add some resistance while you're doing your moves. It'll give that 'real' feeling, rather than having him stand like a statue. :)

Mike

Latest Discussions