What color of gi do you prefer?

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Solid Black V-neck, short sleeve! w/ black pants.
icon10.gif

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
white or blue. i'm not super traditional, but i would feel weird wearing anything else. a lot of older guys don't even like blue.

jf

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the "older guys". White is the only real color for a Judo gi.

Then there's Gene Le Bell. It takes a transplant bank full of balls to wear a pink gi.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
white or blue. i'm not super traditional, but i would feel weird wearing anything else. a lot of older guys don't even like blue.

jf

Being one of those older guys you mention, I understand. I just started wearing a blue judogi 4 or 5 years ago. If I hadn't received one as a gift, I probably still would be sticking to tried and true white.

As for Gene LeBell, it takes a big man to wear pink. Gene Sensei is one of my heroes and I view being choked out by him (more than once) as a badge of honor, pink dogi or not.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Blue is my favorite, although I also own and wear infrequently a black Lucky Gi. I'm way too sexy in that gi, though, so I have to be careful.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I only wear white. I had one gi that was blue/white reversable. I don't compete anymore so it is white only for me.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definately White! I prefer a traditional cut of medium strenght. A slightly longer than average jacket is prefered in our school. No markings of any kind except a small school patch above the heart.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I'm one of the "older guys". White is the only real color for a Judo gi.

Then there's Gene Le Bell. It takes a transplant bank full of balls to wear a pink gi.

Being one of those older guys you mention, I understand. I just started wearing a blue judogi 4 or 5 years ago. If I hadn't received one as a gift, I probably still would be sticking to tried and true white.

As for Gene LeBell, it takes a big man to wear pink. Gene Sensei is one of my heroes and I view being choked out by him (more than once) as a badge of honor, pink dogi or not.

lol, i should have said "more experienced judo guys".

you're right about gene lebell...everyone knows his gi is only pink because he's washed it since it was soaked in the blood of his enemies.

jf

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black in the past, now dark grey...

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well the Royal Blue for Judo but in BJJ practice Pink and Lavender. I mean a really pale pretty pink, but I have seen a hot pink that was cool. I can wear the pants to the MMA class as well. The light soft pink and lavander are such serene colors, so relaxing.
lori

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
where does one get one of these, & do they come in men's sizes?

jf

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Howard Liu sells a very high quality BJJ fine unbleached. It's a real value. Howard Combat Kimonos are well respected and these are under $60. A lot of the judo guys who crosstrain seem to like them as they're basically a judo gi cut for BJJ.

Latest Discussions