What can I do at home?

chrisa

White Belt
Reaction score
I am farely new to ninjutsu, I train two days a week because thats all that is taught at my dojo and I am looking for ways to train at home. I have been reading alot of other posts about people being new ukes and I want to make sure that I am providing the people in my dojo that have been around longer with quality training and at the same time i want to be sure I am getting the best training I can too. Is there some things that I need to really be focusing on at home cause remember that I said I only train two days a week so I would love to know what I should be focusing on and what I should be saving for class. I am sure alot of this has already been covered and I apologize as I am sure u get alot of newbies here but I am sincere about my questions, thanks for any help you may have for me and I appreciate any feedback I can get from anyone, thank you and god bless....

Chris Ary

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I personally do not study Ninjutsu and will admit that I don't know much about it, but I will tell you what I did as a newbie and take from it what you can.

At home I always tried to focus on two things, basic movements/techniques and physical fitness. In my opinion basics and physical fitness are the foundation of study. Focus on those, let the instructor fix any mistakes you might be making, and keep practicing on your own. You'll notice a difference.

Above all keep training hard.

Cheers!

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you have the room , rolls and falls they really need to be second nature.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
San Shin no Kata.

(and Ukemi if you have room)

But don't 'just do it' - that's pretty much worthless. Work with it and pay attention to minimizing your strength and 'effort' and maximizing efficiency.

It's okay if your not 100% correct, your teacher will correct you later. If you see him regularly any self-inflicted bad habits will not have time to sink in too much. However the continuing good habit of creative exploration and refinement (without being spoon fed by someone else) will serve you VERY well.

Masshiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont know what form of ninjitsu you are learning but here is something for thought. Ninjitsu is fast a presise, just focus on the presise and the speed will come.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Stretch, fall and roll
kamae
practice striking things, without being too destructive, and move like you think a ninja would.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
A home I practise tai sabaki, kaiten (rolling), basic kihon, and not to forget: stretching. If you have a lawn, then rolling should not be an issue, depending on the weather. If you don't have a lawn, then you could still practise cartwheels and other stuff.

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train quite a lot of hanbo and bikenjutsu at home, but obviously also some taijutsu. Mainly kihon and kamae. I stopped hitting walls since i bought the place i live in, and plastering is not that cheap.

However if you are new I would indeed also reccomend practicing kamae in the first place, and kihon flows in the second place. If you have the space to do so, make sure to do breakfalls and kaitenwaza too.

If you're in poor pysical condition you can work on that seperately, but generally, an hour or so of kihon training get's the heart pumping too, and it serves as a good way of internalising drills and combinations. Oh and make sure to work with your class notes if you train at home! repeat what you saw in class as soon as is conventient, it will REALLY help you progress through the curriculum faster, since you'll learn faster that way. It'll still take training, but at least you'll remember what you're supposed to be doing more easily.

Ninpo Ikkan

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I forgot kamae.
You can practise kamae when watching tv.
10 minutes per day will do wonders for your stance and your leg strength.

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do it the way you do it while training: Stretching, ukemi, working out a bit, kamae, sanshin, kihon happo, rinse and repeat. Never forget to end your personal training with stretching, because if not, it WILL come back to hurt you.

White Belt
Reaction score
I've just started too and i practice going over kamae, sanshin and the first 3 kihon techniques...i try and practice what i can at home, then make my mistakes in class, then take what corrections i've learned back home and keep practicing...and so on

Latest Discussions