Bujinkan took many techniques from Pirates

forumtengu

White Belt
Reaction score
I notice that many techniques in the Bujinkan look similar to what we learn in Pirate Combat. I asked my instructor about this and he said Pirates had visited Japan and no doubt passed on many of of the techniques we use.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wait, that means ninjas are really pirates..... That is soooo cool! So do ninjas have wenches in skimpy outfits?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You wake up in the morning and you hear noise from the roof, like the feet of hundreds of small squirrels, but then you're not sure if the noise is coming from the roof, or from a neighbor's apartment, or from inside a book...

Then you're dancing around a toaster oven while singing your year, month and date of birth backwards, and on the other side there's this badger dancing in the opposite direction, and then suddenly you realize that there's this small elephant made out of marzipan inside the toaster shouting "let me out! Let me out!"

It's really strange, the way people look at you sometimes.

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thhough I am new to the style I do read alot (I know will get me in trouble) there is a type of spear I remeber seeing which could be used for hooking or climbing as one point faced away and 2 faced back. I look alot like a tool my Father used to use to hook fish and was common on boats just cant remember either name.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So, what is "pirate combat"? I've never heard of it? :angel:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traditionally? Ship to Ship cannons.

Well, maybe Pistol and Rapier.

Don't forget the trade axe and grapple, rope, and more likely a cutlass to a rapier.....ship to ship cannons were meant to disable the prey, not sink it-not much booty available to a pirate in a sunken ship. So, barring surrender, the pirates expected to have to board the ship, and engage in hand-to-hand combat, especially since the pistols of the era only fired one shot, took a while to reload, and weren't known for their accuracy. A pirate might board with several pistols ready, but expected to fall back on their trade axe, cutlass or other close-quarters weaponry.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hesitate to get into this... but pirates also frequented Chinese ports (and often ran extensive extortion rackets in China in the late 18th c.) as well as Philippine and Indonesian coastal villages. Given those facts, is there any less reason to suppose that the rather non-Bujinkan-ish fighting systems of China and the Philippines reflect Arhhhggghhh-Matey-Jutsu!! than the Ninjutsu arts mentioned in the OP? And if so, why do they all look so different from each other?? How can we tell who really incorporated the secret piratical CQH2HSD secrets???? Arnis? Monk Fist Chuan Fa?? Who can say?!!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the trade axe and grapple, rope, and more likely a cutlass to a rapier.....ship to ship cannons were meant to disable the prey, not sink it-not much booty available to a pirate in a sunken ship. So, barring surrender, the pirates expected to have to board the ship, and engage in hand-to-hand combat, especially since the pistols of the era only fired one shot, took a while to reload, and weren't known for their accuracy. A pirate might board with several pistols ready, but expected to fall back on their trade axe, cutlass or other close-quarters weaponry.

Boarding pikes, don't forget the boarding pikes.

Aaaarrrrrrr!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lord of the Dead is a Bujinkan Pirate ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, does the fact, that the endemic pirate fleets of the Inland Sea were more often than not part of one daimyo's forces during much of what is now known as the Middle Ages, affect anyones opinion on this?

Given the less than sound historical background for the sheer existence of ninja's in the first place (not on about the 'style' here, so no shruiken up my bum please :eek:!), why not allow for there to be a piratical strain to the shipboard techniques? After all, there are sword techniques that developed for shipboard use, so why not empty hand?

P.S. I'm laid up with the 'flu at the moment so if I'm not making much sense blame it on the fever {and the shock of becoming officially engaged for the first time in my life :lol:}.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
P.S. I'm laid up with the 'flu at the moment so if I'm not making much sense blame it on the fever {and the shock of becoming officially engaged for the first time in my life :lol:}.

Well, to hell with all the rest of it—hell, the pirates and the ninjas have always been as one in their epic conflicts with samurai, eh! :lol:—but congratulations, Mark, on the bolded material above! And recover soon from your case of the gripppppe...

:cheers: :partyon: :cheers:

I know it's a bit off topic... but maybe that's not so important in the present case, eh? :D

Latest Discussions