What Are Your Favourite Sparring Combinations?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What Are Your Favourite Sparring Combinations? I'll wait for some responses before posting my own. :)

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Draw their attack, evade with a quick side-step/slide, move in and punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, maybe a #2 round kick, punch, punch, maybe a #2 front kick, punch, punch, maybe a #3 Jump front kick, punch punch, punch.........

*Note* When I say "punch", it can mean jabs, crosses, hooks, or the occassional uppercut. The number of "punches" I throw in the combination depend on the situation.

If you hadn't guessed, I like to punch. ;)

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
Draw their attack, evade with a quick side-step/slide, move in and punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, punch, maybe a #2 round kick, punch, punch, maybe a #2 front kick, punch, punch, maybe a #3 Jump front kick, punch punch, punch.........

*Note* When I say "punch", it can mean jabs, crosses, hooks, or the occassional uppercut. The number of "punches" I throw in the combination depend on the situation.

If you hadn't guessed, I like to punch. ;)

Me too. I prefer to get inside a kicker's range and negate their kicking ability by attacking with punches close quarter.

On a related point: I found that for hand techniques while sparring, I almost always fall back on my western boxing training. This is one area where sport TKD has damaged the art, IMHO - there is a huge disconnect between hyungs and formal techniques and what folks actually do when sparring.

Favourite combo: step forward into a jab, overhand cross, sidekick.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Me too. I prefer to get inside a kicker's range and negate their kicking ability by attacking with punches close quarter.

On a related point: I found that for hand techniques while sparring, I almost always fall back on my western boxing training. This is one area where sport TKD has damaged the art, IMHO - there is a huge disconnect between hyungs and formal techniques and what folks actually do when sparring.

Favourite combo: step forward into a jab, overhand cross, sidekick.

I never had any formal boxing training, but I did spend about two weeks with a club that did Judo and Boxing. Pretty much the only thing the boxing coach had me do differently was adjust my stance and not stick my lead hand out so far. Whether the boxing there was poor or my TKD instructor just teaches the fundamentals of proper punching very well, I don't know- but it works for us. Of course, we spend just as much time punching as we do kicking.....

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Roundhouse-Spinning Back Kick
Slide Axe Kick- Roundhouse
Jump Roundhouse (fake roundhouse one one side and kick from other side)
Slide back (evasion)-Slide Roundhouse
Double Roundhouse (low-high)

Note: I often substitue roundhouse kick with sidekick

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer to get inside a kicker's range and negate their kicking ability by attacking with punches close quarter.

You can use a push/thrust kick, spin sidekick, or cresent kick from very close range. The first two I've used to re-establish distance after getting in close and I'm tired of trading punches. I don't use the cresent kick myself much, but I've seen it used in very close quarters

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I try not to get overly attached to a particular combination, or to spend much time practicing combinations that are very long, since I value improvisation. But there are a few combos I like using when I get the chance.

For closing the distance quickly, I like using a sliding sidekick, followed by jab, cross, or followed by a cross, and a power punch with my lead hand.

Another one I'll try when I'm feeling lucky is: start with a lead roundhouse kick, then step wide around my opponent, but still close enough to use hand techniques. Then I use hand techniques, (mostly to distract them while I'm exposed) as I bring my back leg up for a high roundhouse kick to the side of their head that they're hopefully not watching anymore.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fake, a fake inside crescent stepping in, then a spinsidekick
(more later, got to go teach class. TW

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends who I spar. If I spar a puncher, I keep'em away with kicks. If it's a kicker, I get in on them, and punch. I agree with Zepp. I try not to get attached to a particular combination. For me, it depends on who I spar, and how THEY spar. I am a counter fighter, tho. And I also fight south paw, so most TKD people are thrown off about that. I also like fakes to draw them in (a counter fighter thing, I guess) to see what they do and counter.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
feint like im going to do a round house, then do a spinning hook. Switch 360 head. out - n - go. double check then round house. those are my fav heh.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favorite 2 kicks are side and roundhouse (step+, or rear for both). I also like to fake, and get in close for hand strikes. I'm told I'm not an easy one to spar, I just like switching it up some.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't really train combinations since we are reacting to the opponent's movements (or reactions to our movements). We practice counters to common attacks and checks/feints to draw out a particular technique (so we can then counter it).

For those who have responded, do you draw out your opponent using checks or feints or are the combinations "out of the box" so to speak?

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my favorite combo's is the two all meat burger with special sauce,lettuce cheese and on a seeded bun with a large orders of fry's and a stawberry shake..

Oh wait a minute TKD combo's backleg roundhouse followed by the backkick.

that burger thing does'nt sound bad either gotta go!!!!

Terry

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont have preset combos, cause in a situation that person may not do what u think they SHOULD do. I work with what comes to me from the opponent.

Latest Discussions