What are the top 5 most potent ways to create power? (internal or external power)

cpthindsight

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it?

1) Simple Hip rotation (creates the most power period)

2) Gravity (using gravity and body weight to create momentum, e.g. in push hands or jack Dempsey's drop step punches)

3) Relaxation (a very important part of many Chinese internal arts)

4) etc

5) etc ?

Now you tell me, what you think are the top 5 most potent ways to create power, across all of martial arts and sports, internal or external.

Kind regards

OP
cpthindsight

cpthindsight

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Rotation,
Weight displacement
Expansion of muscles
Contraction of muscles
Combination of all

Excellent answer thankyou Danny T

Weight displacement is that what happens during a boxing punch where weight transfers from one foot to the other foot?

Expansion of muscles and contraction of muscles, what does that mean? Do you mean tensing and relaxing of muscles? Tense to gain/use muscular power relax to transmit the power efficiently?

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All of those require a unified action through the body. Nothing should be done in isolation.

(In my opinion.)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what do you think? Or what are you looking for/to hear? What are you basing the question on? What method(s) have you been involved with to use what generation type? Not everything fits or meshes with other things.

OP
cpthindsight

cpthindsight

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So what do you think? Or what are you looking for/to hear? What are you basing the question on? What method(s) have you been involved with to use what generation type? Not everything fits or meshes with other things.

I know, but alot of things are compatible together, id say most of the big generators of power are compatible. Most of them are combined together in the internal arts.

I dont want to state what I think, in fact Ive purposely given a wrong answer as my example because I dont want people to just agree and copy my answer I wanted to provoke them into saying wait thats wrong this is more powerful than that etc

What top 5 would you give and why?

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I dont want to state what I think, in fact Ive purposely given a wrong answer as my example because I dont want people to just agree and copy my answer I wanted to provoke them into saying wait thats wrong this is more powerful than that etc

Alrighty then, with that all I have to say is never forget weight is on the underside and that is all I will say.

Why are you asking this?

What is your background?

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Excellent answer thankyou Danny T

Weight displacement is that what happens during a boxing punch where weight transfers from one foot to the other foot?

Expansion of muscles and contraction of muscles, what does that mean? Do you mean tensing and relaxing of muscles? Tense to gain/use muscular power relax to transmit the power efficiently?

I would only add solid body mechanics and structure.....

OP
cpthindsight

cpthindsight

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Alrighty then, with that all I have to say is never forget weight is on the underside and that is all I will say.

Why are you asking this?

What is your background?

What do you mean by weight is always on the underside exactly?

(Id rather not say my background people get too egotistical about their chosen style or styles, I want no part of that, I respect all styles)

Im thoroughly interested in martial arts thats why I ask. Its a passion of mine.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What do you mean by weight is always on the underside exactly?

(Id rather not say my background people get too egotistical about their chosen style or styles, I want no part of that, I respect all styles)

Im thoroughly interested in martial arts thats why I ask. Its a passion of mine.

I'd rather not say until I know more about what the result of this is supposed to be

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know, but alot of things are compatible together, id say most of the big generators of power are compatible. Most of them are combined together in the internal arts.

What top 5 would you give and why?

No thanks. You're trying to lead a discussion without giving a fair starting point.

Enjoy.

OP
cpthindsight

cpthindsight

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No thanks. You're trying to lead a discussion without giving a fair starting point.

Enjoy.

I do not intend to be unfair to anyone I just wanted to stimulate argument and I have been honest about that in a subsequent post, if anyone is offended by that I apologize, but I highly doubt any adult would be.

OP
cpthindsight

cpthindsight

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not offended but I am over half a century old, so I think I qualify as an adult, and trained in Traditional Martial arts (Neijia arts) by old Chinese guys (older than me) who don't give out information blindly so I wish you the best....

Ok cool thankyou

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I assume you are referring to punching so I will answer from that perspective. The generation of power has four basic components. Mass, velocity, torque and timing.
My view point is that power is simple....increase your mass. Increase your velocity. Increase your torque and optimize your timing.
How do you accomplish this...?
And in that answer lies the secrets and the debate and of course the arguments.

Latest Discussions