What are the difference's in T.S.D. ?

D

dosandojang

Good for you! Learn as much about weapons as you can! Ever thought about learning Okinawan or Japanese Kobudo? They have a lot of classical weapons like the sai, tonfa, bo, jo, kama, etc. Of the Korean weapon styles I have seen, like Kumdo, to me just really looks like Iaido and Kendo...

D

dosandojang

Also, may I ask who you study under? That matters too, because not every KMA Master teaches weapons. I know mine do not (although they both have a Bo in their Dojangs, I never see them practice with it)....

M

Moo D

I study under Master Stephen Tilley (5th Dan) and Master Tilley trains under Master Peter Chin (7Th Dan) who in turn studies under our Gm Lee, Kang Uk (9th Dan). Gm Lee one was DJN Hwangs most senior students and was graded to 9Th dan by DJN Hwang in 1987.

I guess that the wepaons that we have learn't, albeit very little, have been handed down by DJN Hwang.

We all study in the Uk Tang Soo (Soo Bahk) Do Federation, under KJN Lee.

Regards,

D

dosandojang

Thanks for the short bio. :) That seems like a great lineage you come from! Keep up the great work!

Tang Soo!!!
Soo Bahk!!!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As far as my understanding is concerned, KJN Hwang Kee did not train very much with weapons. So MDK, or at least my experience with it, did not contain much weapon work. The Grandmaster's son is different. I have heard that he would like to introduce many different weapons into the federation.

M

Moo D

Dosandojang,

Many thanks for your kind words, I will always train hard and learn as much as I can from my instructors, and gives as much as I can back to the art and society.

Upnorthkyosa,

That's interesting regarding DJN Hwang, as far as I am aware GM Lee only trained under DJN Hwang and never under HC Hwang (due to his grade), I wonder where the origin of the Paul Danto knife form is???

Regards,

M

Moo D

The only spelling I have for this hyung is Paul, but you know how Korean/Chinese gets translated phonetically, therefore it could be pal or pahl!!!

Regards,

D

dosandojang

Then I think it is Pal (8). Bruce, Frank? Do you guys do a knife hyung?

M

Moo D

I asked my Instructor, he is not sure and will ask KJN Lee. I let you know waht the outcome is.

regards,

L

Llarion

Moo D said:
Here in the International TSD Federation (Moo Duk Kwan) under KJN Hwang kee, we seem to follow that of what was original in TSD. KJN Lee was a direct student of KJN Hwang himself for over 30 years.

The Hyungs are,

Kicho Hyungs 1 - 3
Pyang ahn Cho dan
Pyang ahn Ee dan
Pyang ahn Sam dan
Pyang ahn Sa dan
Pyang ahn Oh dan
Bassai Dai
Naihanchi Cho dan
Naihanchi Ee dan
Naihanchi Sam dan
Chil sung Il ro
Chil sung Ee ro
Chil sung Sam ro
Chil sung Sa ro
Chil sung Oh ro
Chil sung Yuk ro
Chil sung chil ro
Ship soo
Jin Do
Rohai
Kong San Koon
Sei Shan
Oh Sip sa bo
Wang shu
Jion

These are the ones that I have trained in or seen demonstrated by the Ko Dan Ja. I also have been taught 3 more traditional forms:

Yuk ro (Dae Moon) Cho dan
Bassai Cho
Paul Dan to (Knife form)

Tang Soo!!

- too much to learn, only one life -
Wow, I had no idea there were so many! I am being taught the Kicho Hyungs and Pyang Ahns; I am 5th gup, but have progressed through competence on all five Pyang Hans and am just now starting Bassai. (MAN, do I need a phonetic pronunciation guide!! :) )

Thanks for the list, this is a great thread!!

Latest Discussions