Tested for 3rd dan :D

G

Galvatron

Well after spending nine years at 2nd Dan (almost 6 of which was spent idle), I tested this weekend for 3rd Dan in front of my Grandmaster; Pak-Song Ki.
It was a rough test, but I feel I did very well. I'm more confident in this testing than I was my 2nd Dan testing.
I'm sore today...got multiple bruises, scrapes, and dings but it feels good to (finally) move a step higher.
:D

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations! That is a real accomplishment. I can imagine how tired and sore you are. I cracked three ribs and tore cartiledge in my rib cage at my second dan test. I have been on the journey toward third dan for about a year now and it just keeps getting more fun. I'm curious...why did it take you so long? I have a family and children, so if its that, I totally understand. If that is the case, how did you make it through?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congradulations. It takes a lot of courage to take time off hen com back and test.
The bumps and brusies will go but the foud memories remain

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
(I don't do Tang Soo Do but my friend does and I've watched some of her classes so I know a little bit about it.)

Wow!!! That is really awesome! Congratulations! I'm sure you worked really hard for 3rd Dan and you deserve it!!! I hope you got it video taped so you can watch yourself from the sidelines.
Congrats again!!! :partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon:

Robyn :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian:

p.s. Also congrats on your 100th post! Also don't forget to update your profile from 2nd Dan to 3rd! :D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
That's great!

Yes, it is good news. TO continue your education and dedication.

Very Good
:asian:

OP
G

Galvatron

Wow, thanks for all the kind words! :D :D :D

upnorthkyosa- It took me so long because I basically dropped out for 6 years. My dad owned a school from 1986-1996, and after he closed the school I lost interest in going.
I started back training (albiet not very seriously) at another dojang that is part of the organization my dad's dojang was part of about 1.5 years ago (while simultaneously working out at a WTF TKD school), and about 8 months ago started getting my stuff together and working towards testing for 3rd dan (relearning our organization's forms, etc).

Thanks again! :)

Seigi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congrats,

I tested for my 3 dan 2 years ago,
I know how you feel. You should be very proud of yourself for your hard work & even more for coming back to the arts after takng time off. Most people never return,.

Congrats.

OP
S

Shinzu

excellent job my friend. i also do TSD and i hold a 2nd dan. i am in my 2nd year so i know how rewarding it can and is to accomplish so much!

best of luck for success and happiness in your journey ahead!

TANG SOO!!

OP
M

MACdojang

I trained under Master Pak from 1980-85. He is a great teacher and I respect him, but I am not sure if his school can truly be called Tang Soo Do. In 1983, he broke away from Moo Du Kwan discarded all the forms, and devised his own system with new forms.

I preferred his new forms. They seemed more 'korean' and emphased kicks. Traditional TSD are Shotokan Karate forms modified to fit the korean way. All the hand gestures were never really used, so why bother with them? I'm sure that was the thinking of Master Pak.

So I put the question out there for discussion. What is TSD, if the forms have been discarded and replaced by something new?

OP
G

Galvatron

80-85, eh? You're an old-skooler! You started about 2 years before my dad started training under Master Pak.

OP
D

dosandojang

CONGRATS!!! It seems like yesterday, that I tested and passed Sah Dan (4th Dan Master) back in 96!!!! You will always remember those days!!!

OP
S

Shinzu

the break videos were great!

when you say master pak, are we talking about grandmaster ho sik pak?

OP
T

The Sapphire Ping Dragon

Congratulations Galvatron! :asian:

Latest Discussions