What are the best skills to learn for self-defense?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Think hard about what you'd fight for, run for, and how far you'd be willing to take/escalate things for certain situations.
In street fight, the wrestling art has advantage over the striking art. If you can gently take your opponent down without hurting him, you then take off at the same time, both you and your opponent will live happy ever after (no injury, no law sue, no revenge).

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
JUST THINKING:

Awareness
Places to avoid
People to avoid
Don't get drunk
Never walk alone at night
Always try and be where people are around when "alone"
Always be armed: environmental - pencils, sticks & martial arts weapons
Learn and attack anatomical vulnerable areas
Be fit & strong
Punch/strike/kick power
learn "on the ground" basics
Learn how to unbalance/sweep/throw
Never give up

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing I'd like to add is to have your own "gear" that you keep on you at all times. Just like you may keep jumper cables, a snow shovel, or other items in your car; you should have standard items on your person, starting with a multi-tool. Don't be afraid to spend extra on the Leatherman or Gerber with the most bells and whistles, as it's always better to have what you don't need than to need what you don't have. The next thing I'd recommend is a portable cell phone charger. And then you can build around that.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Realistically speaking, I could know a hundred martial arts and yet not be able to defend myself(or others) when needed, because at the end of the day there is no martial art that is "the best" for self-defence.What there are are skills-that you might learn from some martial arts-that will help you defend yourself.

Of course, knowing a fighting style is still better than none, but I don't think that knowing a fighting style means knowing how to fight specially when it comes to those martial arts more geared to sport competition where rules set the conditions and restrictions for a "win".
Let me offer some examples of what I mean:
  • Situational awareness
  • Positioning
  • Able to maintain your cool under stress
What are the abilities necessary in order to be able to actually learn how to defen yourself, and where can a beginner seek to learn about them?
1) Learn to avoid trouble.
2) Run away.
3) Block, punch.
4) Run away.

Badhabits

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kung Fu Wang I may have to respectfully disagree about wrestling having the advantage in the street. When I was younger, I did not have good luck trying to wrestle more than 1 person at a time 😉

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kung Fu Wang I may have to respectfully disagree about wrestling having the advantage in the street. When I was younger, I did not have good luck trying to wrestle more than 1 person at a time 😉
The advantage of wrestling is you don't have to punch on your opponent's face and break his nose. That may cause you some legal problem.

Wrestling has "body contact throw" and "non-body contact throw". If you are good in foot sweep (non-body contact throw), it can help you to solve a lot of problems.

When your opponent is down on the ground, it gives you more time to run away.

Latest Discussions