What are some differences between Karate and Taekwondo?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wasn't Gen. Choi the one who suggested the name Taekwondo? I believe that's where all this stuff about him being the "Father of Taekwondo" came from. I stand to be corrected on this, but I don't think he "invented" Taekwondo - that was a group effort, IIRC. He just got some good publicity out of it and he ran with it.
To elaborate on what Mr. Spiller said. Semantics can be confusing . "Father" "Founder" etc. George Washington is considered the "Father" of the USA, yet certainly he had plenty of help.

There is no single person who did as much to ;

Promote acceptance of the name.

Recruit Top Talent around the world, have them accept the name and system, Have them demonstrate the system, and then teach the system. (Although some 20 years later the Korean govenrment copied this format that had been wildly succesful and used it thru the KKW)

The "Group Effort" is the KKW party line which they needed in order not to repeat a potential problem of perhaps having one person with too strong a following that could lead the government to lose control if that person and the government had a falling out. The KKW may have had (I will leave that history to KKW people to comment on) many contributors to it's system so that line would have fit what they did.