what about this school?

xiongnu_luohan

White Belt
Reaction score
I found this school on the internet. They are located in west haven, CT.

Has anyone heard of them? I've never seen any northern dragon style but it sounds cool. I wish they had something up about lineage though. They might be great but I'm always skeptical when I don't see information about lineage and background of the instructor.

It's far away from me I could probably only go there about 2-3 times per month.

If you were me - and you had to call this school - what would you ask them over the phone? Or would you just go out and see them? The way I feel is that even if someone is really good I want to know about lineage unless they just teach sport wushu or sport san da. But if it's traditional I need to know something about the instructor and how he/she learned the art. I understand that politics exist in cma but I don't know how committed I would be if they weren't forthcoming with lineage details.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this school on the internet. They are located in west haven, CT.

Has anyone heard of them? I've never seen any northern dragon style but it sounds cool. I wish they had something up about lineage though. They might be great but I'm always skeptical when I don't see information about lineage and background of the instructor.

It's far away from me I could probably only go there about 2-3 times per month.

If you were me - and you had to call this school - what would you ask them over the phone? Or would you just go out and see them? The way I feel is that even if someone is really good I want to know about lineage unless they just teach sport wushu or sport san da. But if it's traditional I need to know something about the instructor and how he/she learned the art. I understand that politics exist in cma but I don't know how committed I would be if they weren't forthcoming with lineage details.
Go out and see them. You really can't learn much from a phone call; they could give you all the "right" answers, but you'd have no way to really assess their truthfulness. If you go out there and talk to them in person, and watch a class or two, you'll have a much better idea if the school is somewhere that you want to spend the hours and dollars to train.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Based on this piece from their website:

As a beginning student at Silent Dragon schools, you will receive some of the most knowledgeable internal/external training in the country.

On the very first night, you will be able to perform very powerful kicks and strikes. Power strikes are not rocket science, nor do they require you to be "in shape," although our classes will give you a very powerful, flexible, toned body with dense, usable musculature.

Most schools tell you that it takes months, or even years to produce these results, and they are right-for them. What makes us different?

We have taken the time and effort to learn the pre-20th century martial arts, with methods and curriculum that were closely held secrets only a few years ago, and some that still are. Then we made a point of finding ways to rapidly teach those methods to beginning Americans, resulting in outstanding results in terms of health, fitness, power, and internal strength.

I'm not telling you it's easy, but I am telling you that even below average physical specimens can and generally do rapidly change their physical appearance and composition, as well as learn to fight like a buzz saw.

You should find somewhere else to train. This is a load of crap that they're shoveling. Where are you located and what are you looking for in terms of training?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I generally say the best way to tell is to go check them out and to be honest it is the best way. However after reading through their site, particularly the page about "old Yang style" I would not go check them out.

Taijiquan as a martial art is not quick to learn and generally when people talk about old yang style they are talking about the Yang style of Yang Luchan, Yang Banhou and Yang Shaohou not Yang Chengfu. Statements like 18th century Chinese martial arts and Medieval Chinese tell me nothing that is worth much in convincing me to go there at all.

I find nothing on the page that tells me where they learned who form or how long they trained and I find a whole lot of verbiage that really tells me nothing except they can speak and know how to type. To use an old Chinese saying, since they seem to be fond of them just because a dog barks good, does not make it a good dog

But maybe you should go look, I wouldn't but I am old, stubborn and a traditionalist when it comes to CMA for the most part.

I am not sure how close you are to Boston but there are some good schools in that area for CMA. Vincent Chu for Yang Taiji there is also a Yiquan school that is in the same location that I hear is good and there is another CMA school I thing it might be Mantis or Crane near Chinatown that I have been told is good as well. YMAA is also there but they have changed a lot recently so I have no idea what they are like and I am certain there are others too. There is also a student of Chen Yu that is near Boston as well that is suppose to be good for Chen style.

Also if you want Wushu there is Bo Sim Mak or at least she use to teach somewhere around Boston, wushu and Fu style Taiji and in Connecticut if you want Wushu there is Shaolin Wushu Center in South Windsor but I know little about it and then there is Malee Khow in Manchester.

To be honest from what I have heard when it comes to Wushu in CT Malee Khow may be the one to go to, but I am not certain of that it is only hear say at this point as far as I am concerned.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did look at their website. There are a lot of things there that make me cringe...

But it's a website. For many reasons, they can be filled with hyperbole that doesn't fairly reflect their training.

So... spend an hour or two visiting, if you're interested.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well that is a mighty fine read about a lot of no-nonsense nonsense. Here's the bit that really said it all for me,

Once again, let me make the point that Steve Watson, who now owns and teaches at the Branford, CT Silent Dragon, is the Amateur Athletic Associations’ (the group that puts on the Olympics) current World Grand Champion, being unbeaten in National and International contests, and is also the U.S. Wu Shu Federation’s Grand Champion. He is acknowledged, however reluctantly, both by the People’s Republic of China and the (Taiwanese) Republic of China.

My emphasis

By Amateur Athletic Association (AAA) I think they mean International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) which is associated with, but does not host, the Olympics. The AAA is solely a British organisation. In any case, neither the AAA or the IAAF host martial art competitions (they're athletics associations) and do not have Grand Champions (go to equestrian events for those).

This is more than just hyperbole, its straight up lying as far as I can tell. That being the case I, personally, would avoid the place.

Xue has made some very good suggestions for schools and teachers.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well that is a mighty fine read about a lot of no-nonsense nonsense. Here's the bit that really said it all for me,

My emphasis

By Amateur Athletic Association (AAA) I think they mean International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) which is associated with, but does not host, the Olympics. The AAA is solely a British organisation. In any case, neither the AAA or the IAAF host martial art competitions (they're athletics associations) and do not have Grand Champions (go to equestrian events for those).

This is more than just hyperbole, its straight up lying as far as I can tell. That being the case I, personally, would avoid the place.

I did not know that, good call

And I must have missed this

He is acknowledged, however reluctantly, both by the People’s Republic of China and the (Taiwanese) Republic of China.

My only comment :rolleyes:

One more thing about Malee Khow I also beleive she does have some training in and teachers Zhaobao Taiji but again not knowing her and never training with her I do not know how much Zhaobao she knows or who her teacher was.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wondered about that acknowledgement myself, but thought the AAA thing was damning enough.

Can anyone tell me about the US Wushu Federation?

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
athough i can not open the website, from the quote in above post, a quesetion comes to me whether it is safe.
power should come from a good health. does it firstly hurt your body for receiving strength? be careful!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

My emphasis

I didn't know about the AAA issue... As you said, that goes beyond hyperbole to outright dishonesty. And that'd answer the question for me.

I ain't gonna train with a liar. Nor would I recommend anyone else do so.

OP
xiongnu_luohan

xiongnu_luohan

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess I didn't read their site that carefully, it looks pretty bad.

I already have a teacher with a contemporary wushu background and another teacher with a legitimate( real lineage ) traditional background. I was looking for something that I would study along with the two programs I'm already involved in.

thanks again everyone.

Latest Discussions