wetzel death

Discussion in 'Indochinese Martial Arts - General' started by OULobo, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Wogeibe

Wogeibe White Belt

My pastor was good friends with Roy Wetzel. Roy respected my pastor and if I remember right, Roy used to help my pastor with his newspaper business and they would drive around together. Roy was not a born again Christian but he told my pastor that if he ever went to a church, that he would go to his church.(I think thats how the story went anyways) When my pastor met Roy's father for the first time, he told Roy to be careful around his father because he sensed he was trouble. Roy's father would boast about killing men in Indonesian martial arts tournaments and would laugh as he related how the blood squirted out. The night of the incident, my pastor saw the report on the news about the fight and so my pastor rushed down to the jail to see Roy and told the police that he was Roy's pastor and he came to see him. Although Roy didn't go to the church, my pastor was the closest thing Roy had to a pastor. They let my pastor in to see Roy and Roy was pretty shaken up. Roy had scratches on the inside of his throat from his father apparently trying to rip his tongue out. Roy's father swung the sword so hard at him that it bent the sword in half. Roy said he hit his father in the head with a pair of nunchucks and it knocked the top half of his head off, but his father was still crawling after him and growling like an animal. My pastor ministered to Roy and led him in a prayer to accept Christ. I think my pastor also testified as a character witness for Roy. I was just surfing the net and I came across this discussion so I figured I would add my small amount of knowledge to the matter. God bless.

2. Shagen

Shagen White Belt

Mas Nick G,
    My 7 year old trains here in Portland at One With Heart. Under Mas Mike. He is great. She just recieved her first stripe on her white belt. I am just looking around on the internet to find out as much as I can about the poekoelan so I can know more about what she is doing and where it comes from. They offered a club at her school to train for so many weeks for free and she liked it so we signed her up and now that I am on a contract I just want to know more about what she is doing. She is good at it and loves it.

3. katos

katos White Belt

With all due respect to Mr Rex Downie there are often 2-4sides to every story. If Mr. Downie wasin fact the defense attorney is the first question. (He may have been) but I will say that 99% ofeverything I hear about the Wetzel’s is BS. 110% of what I hear/read about Peokeolan is BS.I read web pages, meet instructors, etc, etc, I will tell you as a fact thatmost who now teach Peokoelan know absolutely nothing about the art. I laughed my a** off when a recent peokeolan “master”decided to add takes downs and ground fighting after watching MMA. This “master” could not have taken one lesson;he also could not do one sit-up. I willtell you that I believe 80% of the comments from Mr. Downie are NOT correct(either thru telling part of the story or thru exaggeration, or just plainwrong).
    The comments that Roy was a Christian Saint and THEE martialart’s master are a laugh and that Willy was a voodoo practicing martial artsfake and bully are ridiculous. Peoplewho actually attended the original school know very well the skill differencebetween Roy and Willy. Roy was good, buthe was not Willy or even in the top half dozen in the school. Roy had lots of trophies, sure, so did frankdux(that he bought ¼ mile away), Check outnewspapers and martial arts magazines for competitions of the era and let meknow how many times you find “Roy Wetzel” attending a competition, even local(but not in house). If you find onereference let the community know, it would be a first.
    Roy was found innocent but I would bet my bottom dollar thatwould not happen today. Moderninvestigation would likely reveal that Willy was filling out his taxes, Roy hithis father in the head with a pair of nunchucks rendering him almost dead andsure to be dead, (when he hit his father a pen mark was drawn across the taxforms). Then he finished him by chokinghim. In 70’s the mystique kung-Fu wasnew. People may have believed that Willy was a threat with his head halfknocked off; in a modern court the judge would laugh. Add in blood splatter evidence and etc. and Ithink this may have been viewed very differently……… Funny the posts by Mr Rex do not mention thehead injury?????
    In a courtroom today, witnesses would be called to look atthe defense wounds (tiny scratches) as clearly fake and Roy’s story that hisfather was trying to use the “ancient art of cutting tiny capillaries to killhim” as not part of any fighting art or even any part of reality (trust me, it’snot). Yeah the house was a bloody mess,who blood?
    As far as the Vatican reviewing Roy’s case forsainthood? Ask around about Roy’s“hobbies” and ask yourself why a man that age dies of a head attack.
    As far as Willy’s old school students; the Golden boys, etc.,all fine Gentleman! I spared many ofthem in the day, when I was a kid they are the real deal.
    I want to be Clear, Roy was an amazing martial artist and inthe shape of a modern MMA fighter in the day. I don’t want to insult his students, but he was not Willie. I would only rank him in the top ten in thatcrew, but again, an almost supernatural crew.

4. Karen Botinovch Cody

Karen Botinovch Cody White Belt

I know it has been some time since the inquiring blog on Wiily & Roy Wetzel. But I thought you all might be interested in a book that was just published by the oldest some Wim Wetzel....Empty Open Hands, A Survivor's Story....The Life & Legacy of Martial Arts Master Willy Johannes Cristoffel Wetzel.

Actually Roy was not the oldest, he was the second son. Wim was about 2 years older than Roy although, if I recall correctly, they both where in the same grade when they attended Beaver Hi, due to the transition from Holland etc. I only knew Wim, Roy and Janie....not Jimmy.

Back to the book. It starts with Willy's life as a child, goes through military and 4 years as a POW....tells of Willy's and the family's life from beginning to end. Wim did send me a message and say it was a tough read....I told him no problem I'd be fine. He was correct...it is. I made it thru the first few pages and had to put it down with tears in my eyes. I'm thru to about 1/2 and put it down again. It actually made my heart hurt...maybe because it's hard to know that friends had to experience all that. I knew in hi-school Roy and his dad had a strained relationship but reading this gave me a better understanding of their father and why he was who he was. I highly recommend it.