Well, Mr. Martin ...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am now all caught up on Game of Thrones and have just watched the Red Wedding episode ... even knowing what was coming, having read the books when they were first published, it still left a nasty taste to see what Mr. Martin's warped sense of drama wrought.

He has his reasons and a 'writing philosophy' but, as successful as he may be, he is wrong. He is possessed of a twisted desire to destroy what he creates and seeks to show that anything good and decent cannot prevail or last. That's why I hated the books and why I am increasingly disliking the TV series.

Powerful men agree with me, JRRM would be well advised to take notice :

[video=youtube_share;oy5BnlfrQi8]http://youtu.be/oy5BnlfrQi8[/video]

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just wish it weren't so graphic. I am invested in the stories and the characters, but even though I knew it was coming, the Red Wedding was horrible. The lingering scenes of the torture of Theon Greyjoy are unnecessary. I think this show could leave some stuff to the imagination and actually be better.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Imagine how much more horribly graphic it would be if this series was a historically accurate representation of the Game of Thrones on Earth?

Murders, flayings, and burnings at the stake oh my!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Imagine how much more horribly graphic it would be if this series was a historically accurate representation of the Game of Thrones on Earth?

Murders, flayings, and burnings at the stake oh my!
I don't know, Makalakula. The murders, flayings and burnings so far are pretty gruesome. Have you seen the show?

I like the series in spite of the graphic sex and graphic violence, not because of it.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know, Makalakula. The murders, flayings and burnings so far are pretty gruesome. Have you seen the show?

I like the series in spite of the graphic sex and graphic violence, not because of it.

Yeah, I've been watching the series, but I'm only on Season 1. I've heard it gets worse. I'm reading the books right now, though and just got past the Red Wedding scene.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been watching the series, but I'm only on Season 1. I've heard it gets worse. I'm reading the books right now, though and just got past the Red Wedding scene.
There are scenes in which Theon Greyjoy is being tortured, and I had to fast forward.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/07/showbiz/tv/game-martin-red-wedding-ew/index.html

EW:What about the Red Wedding itself? Is that based on history too?
The Red Wedding is based on a couple real events from Scottish history. One was a case called The Black Dinner. The king of Scotland was fighting the Black Douglas clan. He reached out to make peace. He offered the young Earl of Douglas safe passage. He came to Edinburgh Castle and had a great feast. Then at the end of the feast, [the king's men] started pounding on a single drum. They brought out a covered plate and put it in front of the Earl and revealed it was the head of a black boar — the symbol of death. And as soon as he saw it, he knew what it meant. They dragged them out and put them to death in the courtyard. The larger instance was the Glencoe Massacre. Clan MacDonald stayed with the Campbell clan overnight and the laws of hospitality supposedly applied. But the Campbells arose and started butchering every MacDonald they could get their hands on. No matter how much I make up, there's stuff in history that's just as bad, or worse.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haven't read or watched.

Should I start? ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just in case it is something that is not to your taste, Carol, be aware that there is a lot of what I have termed "unnecessary fornication" in some of the episodes. It was one of the signs to me that I was getting 'old', when we started watching it, that that phrase escaped from my mouth :eek:.

Latest Discussions