Weapons in Karate???

Jin Gang

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tuifa and Sai (cha) are not common weapons in modern Chinese martial arts. But they obviously were popular enough in the areas that Okinawa had contact with to get exposure. I believe they were more common in the southern regions, like Fujian, (where Okinawan karate styles are said to have their origins). Currently, you can see them in use in some Taiwanese styles (many Taiwanese are also descended from Fujianese/Minh speaking people), and in some other regions of southeast Asia. In a book about Shandong Black Tiger style Shaolin kung fu, it mentions the cha (and shows a picture) in a list of "common weapons" in the style. And that is a northern style.

The point is, the sai has always been a weapon. It's not unique to Okinawa. Who first invented it and what area it came from, we might never know. It is obvious that it is designed as a defensive weapon (at least in its current incarnation), meant to block blows from swords and other weapons, and useful for disarming and arresting people. The story about it being a law enforcement implement is probably not far from the truth.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope the sai are not unique or native to Okinawa. They are a import do to the expense of the iron ore needed to fabricate them.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The bo and the sai are the most commonly studied weapons in Okinawan Karate systems. Whether they are considered to be part of the study of Karate per se, or a complementary study of Kobudo, depends on the system. Less common but not uncommon are the nunchaku, tonfa, and kama; there are even less common weapons, including the knife, a four foot staff, an oar, and a sword and shield.

In Japanese Karate, the bo is the most common weapon. Any of the avove plus the spear are reasonably commonly seen, and you'll also find Japanese weapons, including the katana.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
True at times they were thrown and carried in sets of 3. Since I posted that over a year ago I have spoken with other kobudo sensei and have confirmed that the sai was always a weapon and never used as a farming implement. Why Demura Sensei put that in his book I don't know. But Nakamoto Kiichi among others told me about it not being used as a farming implement.

could not say really why the diferent storys are there. but i have been told that the manji no sai my have come from a gaff the fishermen used. I find it at least plosible that that might be true.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
The bo and the sai are the most commonly studied weapons in Okinawan Karate systems. Whether they are considered to be part of the study of Karate per se, or a complementary study of Kobudo, depends on the system. Less common but not uncommon are the nunchaku, tonfa, and kama; there are even less common weapons, including the knife, a four foot staff, an oar, and a sword and shield.

In Japanese Karate, the bo is the most common weapon. Any of the avove plus the spear are reasonably commonly seen, and you'll also find Japanese weapons, including the katana.

the okinawans had a lot of weapons that were also tools. yhe kue/kuwa a mattock type of tool like a grub hoe or mattock, and others some were weapons pure and simple like the tekko. the system I study teaches a lot of weapons as part of the system. I know some of the use of several including tekko and eku and some other weapons that are not as comon. but I beleave that the study of kobdo/kobujitsu was at least in history a comon thing as part of training in Karate.
After all would you not pick up a weapon to use if it was avalible when you knew that if you lost the fight it was about a 90% to 95% chance that you would not survive the encounter??!

Latest Discussions