Weapons in Karate???

barriecusvein

Green Belt
Reaction score
Karate Forum Description said:
Karate is a term that either means "Chinese Hand" or "Empty Hand"

Since no japanese person would ever allow karate to mean chinese hand, they all say it means empty hand. So called due to no weapons.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
barriecusvein said:
Since no japanese person would ever allow karate to mean chinese hand, they all say it means empty hand. So called due to no weapons.
While in translation it does mean "empty hand", that is not to say that there are no weapons. Many Okinawan styles study traditional weapons within their karate curriculum. Weapons like sai, tonfa, nunchaku, oar, etc.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes ther is weapons in Karate, the question should be is your Dojo or Dojandg teaching weapons and is that what you are looking for.
Terry

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also depends on the style of Karate. Shotokan doesn't usually train in weapons, whereas Shorin Ryu does a lot.

Jeff

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our style of Goju ryu does not include traditional Okinawan weapons either, but that does not change the fact that weapons are a very long tradition of karate.

Respects...

S

Spider

they are wepons in karate because i am a black belt and in black belt club and thats where we do wepons

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In general Okinawan styles do, Japanese not. Of course that is not a set in stone rule ;)

The weapons aspect of karate you will often find refered to as "Ryukyu Kobudo" (Ryukyu = Okinawan, Kobudo = "Old Martial Way")

Most clubs will teach at least Bo and Sai, however it is often just forms though, no real application or sparring.

"Modern" styles of Karate, meaning the sport-karate / tournament orientated styles will also generally include weapons, no traditional forms or application, just flashy tournament stuff.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
"Modern" styles of Karate, meaning the sport-karate / tournament orientated styles will also generally include weapons, no traditional forms or application, just flashy tournament stuff.
And this is very sad indeed. :(

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
barriecusvein said:

As has already been established, this is not the case. The kanji for empty (kara) in karate is, according to our sensei, more of a philosophical concept (like emptiness) and not literally empty. Most common weapons are, I think, bo, tonfa, sai and nunchaku. Also kama is taught and some use eku, rochin and tinpe. Here's a list and additional information about the weapons http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/eng/013/index.html

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Also depends on the style of Karate. Shotokan doesn't usually train in weapons, whereas Shorin Ryu does a lot.

Jeff

Also, it can vary from within the same style as well. Some schools within a given style teach kobudo, others do not.

It does seem that most Karate schools, whether they practice an Okinawan or Japanese style, teach kobudo. Some simply offer it as a supplement to the empty hand training, while others heavily integrate it.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, a lot of schools with only a Korean affiliated system in place, teach some Okinawan Weapons (Kobudo) as a tournament Karate aspect of competition. I have seen many Black Belts with no Traditional Kobudo training teaching Nunchaku, Sai, Tonfa & Kama as if they knew how to train them. Many of these Black Belts do not know how to truely train the weapons. Because they have Black Belt rank, many asume they know these weapons, and they do not. Many of them have seen others winning with such weapons in musical forms and just copy what they see with no understanding. Swing the Chux or Kama etc... then jump spin kick, back flip & Kiai! My first Instructor was a Black Belt in both Korean & Okinawan systems, so I learned Kobudo as it was taught to him and his colleagues. We trained Nunchaku, Sai, Tonfa & Kama Against a Shinai to simulate a conflict against a Katana weilding opponent. Got hit a lot, but learned how the weapons should function. Modern competition has changed this for the most part. My Sensei would roll over in his grave if he saw what Extreme Martial Arts were doing with Kobudo in competition now. Those who truely know how to train such weapons, I have respect for, those who don't, I see as chidren playing with Ninja Turtle toys. Rant Over.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jimi said:
We trained Nunchaku, Sai, Tonfa & Kama Against a Shinai to simulate a conflict against a Katana weilding opponent

Wow, really? Good for you! Our kobudo also starts with the premise that your opponent is wielding a katana. Not a traditional Okinawan kobudo style, obviously, but we really don't care!

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Karate_Warrior said:
Hello.
Is it weapons in Karate???

in the wado style we are taught some rudimentary techniques of tanto (knife) and katana (sword) because we have paired katas "tanto dori" and "shinken shiraha dori" which is basically pairworks of defenses against sword and knife.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Weapons? What weapons? These are a bunch of farming tools!
icon12.gif

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Weapons? What weapons? These are a bunch of farming tools!
icon12.gif

What else could they be, since karate was a peasant art ;) After a hard days work on the field, they would go out and practise karate all night :D

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jimi said:
Swing the Chux or Kama etc... then jump spin kick, back flip & Kiai!

Ugh... I've seen this as well.

The town in which I train / teach, held a vendors' exhibition weekend, for the various businesses in town to show their wares. They allowed us to hold a demo each day, and we did incorporate some traditional kobudo work.

Unfortunately, there was also another martial arts school putting on a demonstration. While they claimed to teach authentic Okinawan Karate, one of their yudansha performed a kata using a katana, and ended up doing several 360 degree jumping spinning kicks, and at one time, even ended up lodging his sword blade into the ground when he lost control.

Thankfully, nobody got hurt, but I did get rather irritated when I saw this fellow trying to play it off as if it were part of his kata. After seeing the look in his eyes (yes, the one where he knew he messed up by letting the sword hit the ground), he didn't pick up his sword, instead performing some breathing excercises, and trying to fudge a few empty hand moves until he abruptly ended the kata.

Worst of all, some of the folks attending the exhibition thought he was from our school...

Rest assured, if someone jumps, spins, kicks, and flips in a weapons kata, it's not traditional Kobudo!!