weapon question

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a question. In a typical wushu school, is it necessary or required to learn empty hand sets before learning weapons? What if I just wanted to learn weapons, or even a specific weapon only. Would I be allowed to do that in a wushu school?

jedtx88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A weapon is an extension of your body. Train your body first, it will be easier to work with your body as it is without adding an extra 3 feet to your arms. How long have you studied Wushu?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a question. In a typical wushu school, is it necessary or required to learn empty hand sets before learning weapons? What if I just wanted to learn weapons, or even a specific weapon only. Would I be allowed to do that in a wushu school?

At least in mine yes, no if's/and's/but's about it. First the body has to know how to move before you can add an extension to it. With that thought, the body has to know how to move in a prescribed manner so that the extension can be used in the same manner.

For anybody else I can't really speak to, but I've got a feeling we're all the same in that thought.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
At least in mine yes, no if's/and's/but's about it. First the body has to know how to move before you can add an extension to it. With that thought, the body has to know how to move in a prescribed manner so that the extension can be used in the same manner.

For anybody else I can't really speak to, but I've got a feeling we're all the same in that thought.

As much as it pains me to admit it devil talker.... Northern styles are much the same :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a qualifier there: in a GOOD wushu (kung fu) school, weapons will never be taught before one has a solid grounding in the fundamentals and empty hand aspects of the system. This is because the use of the weapons should be built upon the same fundamentals and building blocks that the empty hand methods are, and empty hand is easier to learn first, and gives the background and experience that makes proper weapons instruction possible.

I am sure there are some "teachers" out there who would be willing to teach the weapon without going thru the real training first. Probably there would be a pricetag attached to the transaction. If you go this route, your understanding and true skill with the weapon will be very low.

Like anything, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it. And like anything, there are unscupulous fellows who are willing to profit from people who are willing to be led astray or who simply do not know any better.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Can't add anything to what Flying Crane says. He's got it about right.

Best wishes

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come over to iaido, all we do is sword!!

Thats because your sword is so dang long ;)

Seriously....with Iaido and maybe Jodo as a notable exception...how can one learn weapons without learning empty hand?

In the Filipino arts we start weapon training on Day One. Nothing fancy and certainly nothing sharp. The student learns big circles, edge awareness (even when sticks are used in place of knives), and discipline (hit the tire....hit the tire...hit the tire). The sticks can make a great training aid because the give the students a great visual. (Not saying this is better than learning only empty hand first, just saying that its not as backwards as it may sound).

Even in that environment, empty hand is critical. Traps, blocks, disarms...there is a lot of empty hand in "weapons" work.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are classical Japanese systems that teach basically just weapons, but do have an unarmed curriculum taught much later, it just depends on the system itself. I haven't come across that in any Chinese systems so far, but that doesn't mean they don't exist... although finding one might prove difficult.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There are classical Japanese systems that teach basically just weapons, but do have an unarmed curriculum taught much later, it just depends on the system itself. I haven't come across that in any Chinese systems so far, but that doesn't mean they don't exist... although finding one might prove difficult.

Closest I know is here

Chinese Long Sword

And I think he is in Singapore and studying Chinese weapons of the past based on old writtings

Latest Discussions