Warrior Spirit Taught or Instinct

Warrior Spirit - Multiple Choice selcet all those you want!

• It is Instint Only - it cannot be taught

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • It is instinct and with some help you can get learn it

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • It is not natural and must be taught by those who already have it

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Rich has been working too many hours he does not know what he is talking about.

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I personally believe that the warrior spirit is something we are all born with; however, it is something that Western culture (until recent years) did not encourage from women. My warrior spirit was not brought out by my family or friends, but by taking martial arts. As they say, "better late than never...." :)

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyone has the capasity for a strong warrior spirit. The key is finding the key to unlocking it within the students own being.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's different from a 'warrior spirit' and 'survival instinct' Most people don't need physical combat to survive life so I think those tools of a survival instinctive reaction are not well-developed, but I think most creatures are born with a desire to survive

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
What's different from a 'warrior spirit' and 'survival instinct' Most people don't need physical combat to survive life so I think those tools of a survival instinctive reaction are not well-developed, but I think most creatures are born with a desire to survive.
I think that all creatures are born with a "survival instinct." However, depending on your point of view, 'Warrior Spirit' may not be the same thing. I respectfully submit Mr. Stephen "Sigung" LaBounty's article "The Battlefield" (located at: http://www.thesigung.com/battlefield.html). Although you may or may not agree with him, I think that it, plus the articles entitled "My Philosophy" parts I & II, describe a type of 'Warrior Spirit.'

Just thought I would share the link so that others could read it & give their thoughts on the material. :asian:

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
im going to make a comment before i read the article.
i believe the difference between warrior spirit and survival instinct is the ability to turn it on and off.
warrior spirit for me is this, when i am confronted with a situation that demands action i turn off all thought of the outside world and focus only on the situation at hand, this allows me to act in the manner in which i have trained to fully launch an effective rational offensive attack without thought of emotion, repercussions, or danger. this act of separating myself came from not only training in martial arts but also from my training in zen buddhism.
the factors that stop most people from defending themselves from questions i have asked of various people including martial artists are,
1. fear of injury to either themselves or to their attacker.
2. fear of repercussions "am i going to go to jail for this?"......"is this guy going to jump me in a dark alley 2 months down the road with ten of his friends?"
any negative thought of prosecution that would disable an otherwise competent martial arts practitioner.
3. emotions such as anger and again fear, sadness, jealousy, envy....any negative emotion which can cripple rational thought.

a general can make excellent tactical decisions in time of war because there is no imminent danger to confront him directly......he commands the troops from a distance, rallying, retreating, encircling, launching an offensive attack, etc. his ability to stand back and see the big picture allows him to implement strategy that is rational.......and rational can be anything......(a soldier joins the military with the known fact that his life is given over to the chain of command and is not his anymore).....even a suicide mission or desperate measures mission.

in order to be in control in a situation that demands action, one must shut his or herself off and become the general in order to make decisions without emotion, fear of repercussion or imminent danger.

shawn

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For what it is worth, I voted for the first one, since I feel reasonably strongly about this matter, I believe it is inside of us all, although some people need it waking up from inside them, since society today, unfortunately, pretty much teaches us to un-learn a lot of what is natural instinct in the name of conformity.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually I define warrior Spirit as how you approach life, and deal with the difficulities or joys.

Once the fists start talking it is all "Survival Mode". There simply is'nt time or reesources to seperate and ratioanilize about your next move. You shouls have the following strategies in your head.
1. escape
2 pre fight postion
3 hit really hard
4 Escape
5 Re-angle
6 Hit really Hard
7 reapeat 4 thru 6 as needed

It is polyanic to think that you will be capable of rational, or benign thought process, it all becomes instinct and techniques and attributes drilled into your responses. When your welfare or health is on the line things have crossed a line

Todd

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Dictionary saids "Warrior" = battler, fighter,,combatant,soldier. Spirit in this case means = courage,boldness,enthusiasm,,vivacious. Adding both together to great a new meaning. Just my thoughts.

It could mean a person who is willing to fight and is prepare to die.... therefold this can be learn and taught to everyone. Those who have it and born with it "great" . Most of us will need to learn it. Finding the right "key" for everyone to open their "Warrior spirit" will not be easy. How many of us lost our keys and never found it? I guest the answer to this could be both taught and be an instinct. Humans are all different and rise differently. Can questions like these have the same answer for everyone? ...... from a spirited warrior...still learning how...Aloha

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nature or nurture?

The answer is yes.

If one is born with innate aggressiveness, competitiveness, etc...then the "warrior instinct" can be developed/guided.

Dealing with kids as I do, I find the incredibly--almost pathelogically shy--kids will likely never develop the warrior ethos. You can move them a bit on the bar chart, but only a bit.

That said, one kid I took to black belt was very "shy." Couldn't make eye contact, couldn't yell. Put him in the ring or on the rugby field, however, and he'd own it. One day I saw him out running for conditioning and he was setting about a seven minute/mile pace...and just cruising along.

He's now at the Naval Academy. Marine option.

He was an exception to the rule. We all know of others.

Regards,

Steve

G

ghostdog2

I voted for option one. Having done a good bit of coaching and worked with kids, adolescents and adults, it's my opinion that you can't bring it out or develop it unless it's already there. "It" can be speed, athletic ability or public speaking.
Warrior Spirit implies, to me, more than mere fighting ability. It means discipline, sacrifice, focus and committment. Accordingly, WS can be displayed in areas other than combat. But as a MA, it is all of the above and the willingness to go to battle. And once committed, determination and courage to the end.

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Some men are born great. Others achieve greatness, while others have greatness thrust upon them. If a man has the combination of the 3, then he is immortal."

I think that should just about cover it.
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions