Wado ryu karate

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not wishing to seek contention here - but I struggle with the concept of "Wado-based" / "Wado Hybrid"!

You either do Wado or you don't imo.

Once you change something, it ceases to be what it was in the first place.

Not saying that's a bad thing of course - but ime (in the UK anyway) many use the "wado based" label because the "omote" (or surface level) of Wado is easily copied (monkey see monkey do), but actually connecting the dots in order to make it work is very, very hard.

Takes some mental weightlifting - as my sensei would say.

Sojobo.

Wadoish?

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ish...?

A very dodgy colour if you ask me;)

Sojobo

Black/Red Block

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sojobo

You forgot "Freestyle Wado Ryu" too.

I agree with what said its etiher Wado or its not but that saying there are many organisations of Wado, mainly for "political" reasons or differences in opinion the biggest and oldest I think is the Wado Ryu and Wado Kai separation. I studied for 4 years but it wasn't my main style. I had to decide which one was where I focused and as I own my school but trained at the Wado it was an easy choice.

Wado takes a lifetime's study to encompass everything it has to offer, and Shodan in Wado is not the end its just scratching the surface.

Its not the best, but its in the same league. And in a different time I would probably study nothing but Wado

Some argue it is Jujitsu Not Karate, Sojobo will correct me, "Karate to Wado Ryu is like Salt to a meal" was stated by Ohtsuka Sensei

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the OP will come back, give us some more information on why he posted and what he wanted to know?

Sojobo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sojobo

Some argue it is Jujitsu Not Karate, Sojobo will correct me, "Karate to Wado Ryu is like Salt to a meal" was stated by Ohtsuka Sensei

I think you may be referring to a comment by Otsuka Jiro - which was something along the lines of "Okinawan Karate is to Wado as a pinch of salt is to a stew"?

Sojobo

Latest Discussions