Video on Karate blocks

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Just a generic question, isnt dodging encouraged more than blocking, its just blocking is harder to get right so you spend more time training it incase you need it? Most people tend to dodge rather than block from what i have seen.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just a generic question, isnt dodging encouraged more than blocking, its just blocking is harder to get right so you spend more time training it incase you need it? Most people tend to dodge rather than block from what i have seen.
If you dodge the 1st punch, you may need to dodge the 2nd punch. How many punches do you intend to dodge?

If you block and use your hard block to hurt your opponent's arm, your opponent can't punch you any more.

If you block and wrap your opponent's punching arm, you have turned a striking game into a wrestling game.

block + arm wrap > block > dodge

Last edited:

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dodging and blocking are useful tools for any Martial Artist. The attack, range, opponent and situation will usually influence what you want to use.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To add to what was already said, if you're looking for specific blocks, you may not see them. You may see something, and it may not look like a block, but that's actually what the person is doing.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To add to what was already said, if you're looking for specific blocks, you may not see them. You may see something, and it may not look like a block, but that's actually what the person is doing.

I would add to that , what you see in vids that is done in the dojo under controlled conditions may look as you say very different in a real situation and as you say not so recognizable.

@Rat deflections can be termed as blocks in some circles and thoughts not just a pure halting of a motion that the term block may imply

Latest Discussions