Vertical Double Palms -- Explain?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the Leung Sheung line, we use horizontal double palm strikes (as in our top and bottom palm are facing out horizontally). Outside of my little bubble, everyone does vertical double palm strikes. This seems odd to me -- it would seem to me that you would frequently have to overextend yourself/your shoulder for the top palm and put your wrist in a dangerous position for the bottom palm.

Is there advantage to doing the vertical double palms?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the Leung Sheung line, we use horizontal double palm strikes (as in our top and bottom palm are facing out horizontally). Outside of my little bubble, everyone does vertical double palm strikes. This seems odd to me -- it would seem to me that you would frequently have to overextend yourself/your shoulder for the top palm and put your wrist in a dangerous position for the bottom palm.

Are you referring to po pai from wooden dummy form(?)

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

It's a difficult technique on the surface. Some thoughts in no particular order.

I advocate strongly for controlling range with your feet for a number of reasons, one of which is avoiding over-extending with the shoulders or reaching with the waist.

They don't necessarily have to both be strikes...or for that matter attack and defense are the same. You're occupying a lot of space with that technique, you could be intercepting something incoming, jamming something in to their body, striking or all of the above. Or maybe you don't even know at the point where you flow into that hand, you're just claiming that space.

Po Pai sao also exists in the Crane system that I've dabbled in and from their perspective, things aren't necessary always perfectly vertical or horizontal. The hands could be at virtually any angle or juxtaposition as long as they are opposite one another. I don't assume that because of how they appear in Wing Chun forms that the same isn't true in application for Wing Chun players as well.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The way I see it, the palms are at precise positions on the dummy for developmental purposes, then any position when applied.

Could be a double strike, a push, a low intercept and high attack, a high intercept with a low attack, a joint lock grabbing them at the wrist and elbow....

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whether the palms are vertical or horizontal just depends on the situation and angling. The purpose is to penetrate through the opponent's arms to reach his body.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Whether the palms are vertical or horizontal just depends on the situation and angling. The purpose is to penetrate through the opponent's arms to reach his body.

Hey KPM, great video. Sharing some perspective on the bong sao to tan sao/double palm piece you called about a little after halfway into the video from where I sit.

When we place the bong sao in that position, it’s just to get us to a starting position to practice a smaller unit of root application. In application our bong sao wouldn’t travel into the incoming strike so it’s about getting to that start line for the next small unit.

In this case, you can imagine that left bong sao just deflected a right jab, then as the opponent throws a left jab to followup, you deflect with tan sao as you recapture with footwork. Will share a video to illustrate. Love that you’re sharing your art here.

Last edited:

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey KPM, great video. Sharing some perspective on the bong sao to tan sao/double palm piece you called about a little after halfway into the video from where I sit.

When we place the bong sao in that position, it’s just to get us to a starting position to practice a smaller unit of root application. In application our bong sao wouldn’t travel into the incoming strike so it’s about getting to that start line for the next small unit.

In this case, you can imagine that left bong sao just deflected a right jab, then as the opponent throws a left jab to followup, you deflect with tan sao as you recapture with footwork. Will share a video to illustrate. Love that you’re sharing your art here.

Here’s that quick video explanation:

Latest Discussions