Variations.....

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone ever visually analyzed the different variations of Wing Chun on you tube? Interesting,I have to give it to whoever owns it and makes it work for them.However complete or incomplete the Wing Chun. Some of the people I watched really made it work for them.I noticed the smooth transition between movements for some,blocky and hard for others.Guiterrez,Wong Shun Leung,Maday,Boztepe.....etc.etc.each had their own delivery system. Some Blitzy,some as smooth as could be.My advice to all of you,pick what version you like and stick with it.What an incredible art.You gotta love it!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey if u have the link to certain one's go on and post them so we call can discuss them

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

I agree that there are many flavors of Wing Chun. To me the most important thing is the individual instructor and how the individual student can learn from the instructor.

I've seen many interpretations that are different, yet valid in their specialization.

Juan M. Mercado

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even in Kamon wing chun (over 50 schools), there are variations from class to class. Some people like using structure and blocking type movements. Others prefer to use the softer more fluid side. I have seen various videos of Ip Chun using different kinds of energy

Certainly Ive seen Siu Nim Tao performed about 80 different ways!!

It's good as long as the practitioner understands why he does what he does!!

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Here's the thing.

Every time a movement or form is performed, you may put stress and thought into emphasizing some application or training principle...

This makes the form look different.

You may stress relaxation, or structure, or explosive power and deep relaxation sequences, or specific manipulations, etc.

These factors make it look different, even with the same practitioner.

That is ok.

And as has been said already, the most important thing is to know why you're doing what you're doing... so you learn something from the practice.

This thread is important to promote the understanding and appreciation of the performance of forms in Wing Chun. I am happy if that appreciation is exhibited by practitioners.

Juan M. Mercado

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Juan,

I think qwksilver was talking about the sequence of forms
I have seen forms done several different ways (ie some schools do not have any punches in the forms, some do no not close stance the same way, etc)

Latest Discussions