Use of Martial arts?

OP
I

IFAJKD

eye jabs as we call them are really sweet aren't they. takes just a flick. are you familure with Rapid Assault Tactics??????? really works the eye jab

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nope, never heard of Rapid Assault Tactics. Now that you've brought it up, you must explain :)

I train eye jabs often. After all, open hand strikes are usually the fastest...and what better target than a nice, squishy eye? :D

I'm trying to devise a device (ew, that looks odd when typed) to better train knee kicks...particularly, kicks to the side of the knee. I'm thinking something along the lines of two lengths of metal pipe joined at the ends by soem sort of spring, all covered with a light layer of padding. I'd have to experiment with the spring to find the right 'give'. Too light would be unrealistic. Too strong would'nt be too bad, though. Also have to make a good sturdy mount that won't fly all over the place when the target is hit.

Cthulhu

OP
I

IFAJKD

why not use a Thai bag......? R.A.T. is the process of a fight. first stage Entry) second stage Pressure and third stage Termination)
in each of these stages there are specific ways to fight to move through this process. It may open with a destruction and follow with the straight blast and end with HKE in the trapping range. This for example. It is really quite involved but You get it:asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would like to use a Thai bag, but:

1) I ain't got one :)

2) I feel that a device like the one I mentioned would provide a more realistic feel. That, and it would just be fun to build! :D

Cthulhu

OP
I

IFAJKD

I had a friend mount a leaf spring on the floor in a way he could attach a thai pad to and that worked very well. He could add leafs as he saw fit

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sounds interesting. However, I don't really want to be bolting anything to the floor :)

The reason I want to use the pipe-spring-pipe approach it to try and simulate the stiffness of the lower leg and thigh with the slight give of the joint between the two.

Ah, it was just a thought. Probably never have the time to make it.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Floor destruction on a rented house = very very not good :)

Ever read that book by Mike Young? I think it's called Home Martial Arts Training or something like that. Teaches how to build various equipment for home training. I think he also sells plans for other stuff (PVC mook jongs and the like).

Cthulhu

OP
I

IFAJKD

I have seen it but never really used it. I do like home made equipment that doesn't reinvent the wheel but serves a specific need. Gets kinda fun. nothing like training with new equipment;)

OP
R

Rob_Broad

For me the thinthat makes me feel the martial arts have been effective inmy case is that fact that I don't have to use what I have learned.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I found it and its interesting.
On the subject of the weakness of different systems, maybe its the practitioner that has the weakness not the system? If the practitioner trains in the strikes and joint locks of a system but doesn't work much on the kicks then there is a weakness, but it is not neccessarily a weakness in the system, but in the training methods of the induvicual.

7sm

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by GouRonin

Here's a tough question with no one answer.

What is the ultimate indicator of a martial art's effectivness?:confused:
You can't measure a martial art. That is the ONE answer.

However, you can pretty much measure a martial artIST by not only their skills and abilities but their mental state, wisdom, and control.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
The ultimate effectiveness of any martial art can be determined by the ability it gives you to adapt mentally and if necessary physically to any given situation. The inability to adapt will spell d-e-f-e-a-t every time.

Respects,
Bill Parsons

OP
F

fringe_dweller

Originally posted by MartialArtist

You can't measure a martial art. That is the ONE answer.

However, you can pretty much measure a martial artIST by not only their skills and abilities but their mental state, wisdom, and control.

I completely agree. It also depends on the reasons *why* a person takes up a martial art. If it's to gain discipline and control in their life then can we say the art is ineffective simply because they aren't that great in a street fight?

Respectfully

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without putting words in anyones mouth, I think this thread was about effectivness as related to self defense, at least that is the norm by which MA are related to effectivness with.

While I agree with your statements completely I think personal change, and mental evolution are not related to effectivness of a MA in general.

7sm

OP
M

MartialArtist

I believe that mental control has everything to do with self-defense. Have some people locked up under pressure? Complete mind control keeps you in control and keeps you from blind rage where your adrenaline and testosterone just takes over. They should be used as supplementation to what you have, not to make you go crazy as that might get you in lots of trouble against certain people.

Mind control = More desire (who wants it more), more control, better performance, more endurance, faster reaction/reflexes.
Why do many martial artists from Mike Tyson to Kitabatake meditate? Mind over matter. Sounds easy to say, but how many of you can do push-ups over a bridge (equipped with water) in Seoul during the winter with bricks on your back? Add a trainer who doesn't care if he hits you or not. Whether you're a person at a NFL camp or anything for that matter, your mind will make or break you. The body follows the mind.

So many martial artists these days get rid of mental training. They are only limiting most of their potential.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Just be careful. Whether you're sparring or fighting, avoid when possible. I mean avoid fighting, sparring is what you should always do. But even then, or even at a tournament, just watch out.

Attachments

• $mmaowned.jpg
    $mmaowned.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 151
OP
H

Humble artist

Ultimate effectiveness?

Powerful application of bu philosophy in everyday life,facing conflicts with calmness and stopping conflicts before they start if it ever gets to that.
Staying healthy and wealthy.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To judge a martial arts effectiveness:

1. what is the practitioner looking for? fitness? self defense? and does the art meet what the practitioner wants?

2. if you end up in an altercation, and you are still standing when its over, I'd say your art is effective.

3. if you avoid an altercation because your art has taught you to be aware of your surroundings, your art is probably effective.

Latest Discussions