USAT-MAC and Kukkwion

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The main difference and function of the overseas branch program, at least for USTC, is to help Taekwondoin who have no Kukkiwon dan obtain Kukkiwon certification for themselves and their students. That and to continue to provide Kukkiwon educational opportunities.

So does that mean they would have to learn the curriculum of the USTC to get a KKW certificate? Because the KKW is rea basic and most school add stuff withen the criteria for advancement.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is all true howevever will the USTC again revive the USKKW with direct ability to assist US Masters with rank advancement. The whole thing was shut down in May 2010 and it is my hope that it will be revived to serves as an quicker easier link to KKW for US Masters? This was a great thing for USTC to have and I felt a good advantage over USAT?
Yes, it will. The new KKW president was the one to halt the overseas program. Why? I have not been privledged to that information so I can not say. Suffice to say that USTC is working as closely as possible to provide Americans with as many opportunities to receive the TKD education such as instructor courses, referee seminars, etc.

USTC is still a quick and easy link to KKW for US Masters and are willing to help people to receive their KKW certification or other items they may be in need of. You simply need to contact the USTC.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So does that mean they would have to learn the curriculum of the USTC to get a KKW certificate? Because the KKW is rea basic and most school add stuff withen the criteria for advancement.

I do not believe so. They simply need to provide proof of knowledge of KKW requirements along with any additional paper work for their rank. Just contact the USTC and they will let you know what you need.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This issue, being fed to us in drips, just keeps getting juicier. Can we get the whole story in a thread with the appropriate header.

I think it's best that the partys involved keep it to themselves. Whatever there is to all of that, I'm sure Terry isn't interested in it being out there for everyone, it's between him and whoever Vision USA is. Also, I fail to see how it has anything to do with the topic at hand.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think it's best that the partys involved keep it to themselves. Whatever there is to all of that, I'm sure Terry isn't interested in it being out there for everyone, it's between him and whoever Vision USA is. Also, I fail to see how it has anything to do with the topic at hand.
Actually between MasterDan and Vision...Vision is a TKD supply company. They make some nice uniforms.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

For me this subject has been beaten to death, it also has two different people views of the accounts. Nothing can come from this but a heated debate over who you wish to believe, sometimes thing like this need to run it course though attorneys and courts of law. Since either party is doing that, then it is not worth the headache here.:asian:

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I think the toothpaste is already out of the tube. I did't do it, but I can't help myself from rubber-necking.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me this subject has been beaten to death, it also has two different people views of the accounts. Nothing can come from this but a heated debate over who you wish to believe, sometimes thing like this need to run it course though attorneys and courts of law. Since either party is doing that, then it is not worth the headache here.:asian:

So has this issue been discussed before on MT? If so, what is the title of the subject?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main difference and function of the overseas branch program, at least for USTC, is to help Taekwondoin who have no Kukkiwon dan obtain Kukkiwon certification for themselves and their students. That and to continue to provide Kukkiwon educational opportunities.

OK, so given that there are rules on (for example) jump dan promotions but that these can be overridden by grading at the Kukkiwon - is that the advantage of having a US Kukkiwon branch, they can be overridden in the US as well?

If not, I don't see any advantage to having a US Kukkiwon that a normal high dan rank person could not give (or a KOMS member or the USTC).

dowan50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
OK, so given that there are rules on (for example) jump dan promotions but that these can be overridden by grading at the Kukkiwon - is that the advantage of having a US Kukkiwon branch, they can be overridden in the US as well?

If not, I don't see any advantage to having a US Kukkiwon that a normal high dan rank person could not give (or a KOMS member or the USTC).

First for me it is different even though I have been a master for quite some time now I have always passed all testing fees and Dan advancement paperwork to my GM out of respect and loyalty as long as he lives. Since his death it is time for me to do this on my own now or continue to do this through his son out of respect to his legacy and also mutual love and support of our regional organization and non-profit.

The USTC connection to the US KKW was in my opinion just nice to have someone face to face familiar English speaking and friendly also their costs were lower in the effort to help people and they had a desire to help those with issues like ITF or GM's that had tested and charged but never issued KKW Dan Rank to their students with out telling them which I felt were worthy reasons to support that effort.

I could be wrong but I do not see those issues being publicly offered by the KKW?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well one advantage is that fact you have more of a direct connection to the KKW through one of its branches. Look at it this way...you have a Samsung product and you want to get it upgraded....would it easier for you to try and reach the right person at the Samsung corporation overseas or contact the local branch store in your area to resolve the situation? Plus not everyone has access to a high dan ranked member. Some have to go through a couple of layers in order to have that connection.

Plus a KKW branch makes it easier to arrange items such as FIC's or other KKW events that may not be accessible localy.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well one advantage is that fact you have more of a direct connection to the KKW through one of its branches. Look at it this way...you have a Samsung product and you want to get it upgraded....would it easier for you to try and reach the right person at the Samsung corporation overseas or contact the local branch store in your area to resolve the situation?

OK, so there is a technical advantage to the USTC being the US Kukkiwon Branch, there is a benefit that isn't there (naming/branding/advertising opportunities aside) without?

They can resolve problems directly through the Kukkiwon's internal systems rather than having to contact the Kukkiwon for them to do it?

Plus not everyone has access to a high dan ranked member. Some have to go through a couple of layers in order to have that connection.

But (in the absence of the US Kukkiwon) they could go directly to the USTC though, right?

Plus a KKW branch makes it easier to arrange items such as FIC's or other KKW events that may not be accessible localy.

I understood the USTC were doing this anyway, even with the suspension of the overseas branch program.

I'm not trying to be negative - I'm purely trying to understand, advertising aside, what the US Kukkiwon can do that the USTC can't without being US Kukkiwon.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kkw usa will never happen. The only way it could is if 70% of tkd schools joined forces under one org(lol). That org would then be the ONLY ones who could issue kkw certs in the us. All others would either join or be lost in the sauce, so to speak. Then, and only then, the kkw would be able to open a branch. Otherwise there would be even more bs politics.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kkw usa will never happen. The only way it could is if 70% of tkd schools joined forces under one org(lol). That org would then be the ONLY ones who could issue kkw certs in the us. All others would either join or be lost in the sauce, so to speak. Then, and only then, the kkw would be able to open a branch.

Never happen? We shall see, and perhaps real soon. There are things in the works. Lots of action at the Kukkiwon at the moment. What happens these next couple few years will be determinate of the Kukkiwon's future.

And the US Kukkiwon won't operate how you outline above. That isn't how the Kukkiwon branch system was designed. You are talking about Category A and B countries, which is not a consideration.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never happen? We shall see, and perhaps real soon. There are things in the works. Lots of action at the Kukkiwon at the moment. What happens these next couple few years will be determinate of the Kukkiwon's future.

And the US Kukkiwon won't operate how you outline above. That isn't how the Kukkiwon branch system was designed. You are talking about Category A and B countries, which is not a consideration.
My sense & guess what will happen or a possibility is that the KKW may stay as the vanguard for traditional Taekwondo, the world TKD academy that will continue to teach & emphasize the vision of their founders & pioneers. The KKW will spread worldwide, with regional branches of those that share this vision & emphasis. It will split from the WTF, which will remain with its sport focus. The new TKD Park & its proposed academy will replace the KKW's training function for the WTF.
The WTF will expand to allow in all or more TKDin, regardless of their martial art training emphasis or lack thereof.

Latest Discussions