US TKD versus the rest of the world

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you see the US compared to other top countries in Olympic TKD. Have we gotten to soft? Does are fighter lack the hardcore training as other countries? Can we ever get back to the hardcore hitting we was once known for? Or our we doomed by the game of tag?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you see the US compared to other top countries in Olympic TKD. Have we gotten to soft? Does are fighter lack the hardcore training as other countries? Can we ever get back to the hardcore hitting we was once known for? Or our we doomed by the game of tag?
You are on a roll my friend. Keep the threads coming.

The type of sport dictactes the style. Korea for this sport dictatates how the rest of the world fights. When they change we change. Guess that's why WTF is headquartered there.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another issue that came up at one of hte coahc's seminars in Austin is that (at least form an Olympic standpoint) a vast difference in how other countried support their athletes compared ot the US. It leads to different motivation. In tyhe US, you may win a medal, if oyu're really lucky, you might get a little moentary support...but you'll probably have ot hold down a regular job.

Other countries, not only is the athloete supported, but so are their families....winning a medal means more...so perhaps that impacts how hard they train/fight.

Peace,
Erik

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think not only USA was dommed by the game of tag, I feel about the same of Mexico. When TKD transformed to a game tag it lost so many good things.

Manny

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See one thing I have notice on the International circuit is the German and Dutch opens are like hitting machine competitors, they train to hit and not play tag, Why do you suppose the US is becomming this game of tag? instead of the power game that the international events have.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
See one thing I have notice on the International circuit is the German and Dutch opens are like hitting machine competitors, they train to hit and not play tag, Why do you suppose the US is becomming this game of tag? instead of the power game that the international events have.
I think because all the same competitors see each other all the time and become buddy buddy and lose that I am here to beat you additude. I have seen it with a couple of our fighters. Had one guy lose in the Korean American games because he viewed the match as a contest between a friend of his. Stupid him.

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I hope they can get the electronic hogu to register force, and then require a certain level to score. When I was competing, you really did have to have trembling shock to score, and in my opinion it made for a much better competition. If Olympic taekwondo would bring back trembling shock, combined with the scoring changes they have made, I think the sport will become much more popular.

Also, if the computer determines the force, it will take subjectivity out of the equation for the most part.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope they can get the electronic hogu to register force, and then require a certain level to score. When I was competing, you really did have to have trembling shock to score, and in my opinion it made for a much better competition. If Olympic taekwondo would bring back trembling shock, combined with the scoring changes they have made, I think the sport will become much more popular.

Also, if the computer determines the force, it will take subjectivity out of the equation for the most part.
Yes that is exactly how they work. They set the hogu for your weight and then set the min force needed. They also record your force so if the average is way above the min set then they will or should readjust the force needed. Was kink of cool to see how hard each kick was.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The madness in Germany and the Netherlands has some serious method to it.

There is that little thing called 'Breitensport' That's what the regular people do, those with no talent or ambition. Out of those ranks they recruit the ones with the fire and desire to do more. Things have changed a lot but it is hard to just hang your shingle out and proclaim yourself trainer. You have to have credentials (and back them up).

Distances are small (thus are cost).

sadantkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to see USAT create a scholarship program for top level competitors. I also think there should be an intensive effort to gain entry into the NCAA. I know a lot of extremely talented athletes who had the ability and the desire to go much further, but were absolutely unable to spend the time and money it takes to reach those elite levels of competition.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd love to see USAT create a scholarship program for top level competitors. I also think there should be an intensive effort to gain entry into the NCAA. I know a lot of extremely talented athletes who had the ability and the desire to go much further, but were absolutely unable to spend the time and money it takes to reach those elite levels of competition.

I don't think the NCAA will allow scholarships to be funded by outside sporting bodies. The NCAA is probably the wrong venue to try and hook TKD up to... right now schools are having to eliminate plenty of minor sports like rowing and even baseball because of financial and Title IX pressures. It's unlikely that the NCAA would add another minor, unprofitable sport.

There's nothing to stop the USAT from organizing and funding college club level tournaments though, much like the NDT debate competitions.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was at the Dutch Open this year. The USAT got 6 medals the AAU got 6 medals. The USA athletes hit just as hard as the Europeans and I saw no real difference in talent or training. The quality of the event as far as organization was much better than in the US. The support for the athlete seems greater. look on Youtube. Damain Villa vs. Memo Perez a much more professional event from the venue to the Refs...looks like most countries get more government support...

Latest Discussions