US police fired over beating film

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do they need new names then? LOL!

I've heard Kentucky is nice, my daughter's boyfriend worked there for six months for a horse racing trainer.

depends on what you mean by nice. the outdoors there are absolutely beautiful, & on the whole the people there are very, very friendly. lots of poverty though, & i was surprised when i found out the state is still mostly dry (meaning no alcohol sales allowed). fortunately i'd picked up a jug of wine in nashville the night before!

If the criminal had complied in the first place none of this would have happened.

He chose his actions: to assault an officer, to try and elude capture, to endanger innoncents in the process; therefore he chose the results of those actions and must accept them.

I have absolutely no sympathy for this idiot or any other idiot that runs from the law, especially when they endanger the public in doing so.

I don't condone evidence tampering, and I don't condone police brutality either but I don't feel like this guy should get rich off of this incident either. I guess I view police brutality as being "unprovoked." At any rate, the actions of the LE's involved should be investigated but this fellow got what he deserved.

When are people going to realize there are consequences for making a choice and when one makes a bad choice the productive thing to do is learn from it so you don't make the same bad choice again. Making bad choices should not equate to hitting the lottery.

well, yeah, & maybe if his daddy had played catch with him when he was little this wouldn't have happened either.

i agree that he shouldn't profit from this, & i don't exactly pity him. but viewing police brutality as "unprovoked" allows for a pretty broad & dangerous interpretation. give a cop some attitude while getting a ticket, & is that provoking him? how about protesting too loudly? kind of a slippery slope, imo.

jf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cannot have a good police force without discipline. Yes, it would be very hard to see your colleagues hurt by a criminal but you have to keep a professional head on. It's important to be professional so that when the case comes to court the guilty will be dealt with properly instead of the case being thrown out because you messed up!
Over emotional police officers who allow their standards to drop are no good to anyone. No one said it's an easy job but to gain the respect of people a police officer has to be beyond reproach, an old fashioned idea these days but one that is still true. If you can't stand the heat don't be a police officer!

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, yeah, & maybe if his daddy had played catch with him when he was little this wouldn't have happened either.

i agree that he shouldn't profit from this, & i don't exactly pity him. but viewing police brutality as "unprovoked" allows for a pretty broad & dangerous interpretation. give a cop some attitude while getting a ticket, & is that provoking him? how about protesting too loudly? kind of a slippery slope, imo.

jf

Maybe his father should be held responsible if that's the case. That's my point, people don't accept responsibility for their actions anymore. It's never "my fault" it's always something else that's responsible.

There's also a very big difference in attacking a police officer and fleeing and "giving some attitude." Let's not debate ridiculous semantics.

I really don't think the cop should have jumped on the guys head and begin wailing on it like he did and probably deserves to be disciplined for it, but I also don't feel like the guy deserves to recieve any reward for having it done to him; he brought it on himself.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i was surprised when i found out the state is still mostly dry (meaning no alcohol sales allowed).

The sweetest irony of all being that the home of Maker's Mark - Bourbon County - is also a dry county. You can't even buy it there, you have to go to Lexington. It's a strange world, isn't it?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It has been almost 20 years since Rodney King's beating and cops still don't know about video?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DC area cops do. 11 cars stopped a reporter, not 1 had any cameras running, as req. by law.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
DC area cops do. 11 cars stopped a reporter, not 1 had any cameras running, as req. by law.
They don't know CYA either?! Holy Crap! I thought my grandpa exaggerated when he said only a moron would want to be a cop...

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont know about the "as required by law" part (but Im not from DC). In car video use is typically a departmental policy issue rather than "law".

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's also a very big difference in attacking a police officer and fleeing and "giving some attitude." Let's not debate ridiculous semantics.

well, you just said unprovoked. i just work with what i get around here.

The sweetest irony of all being that the home of Maker's Mark - Bourbon County - is also a dry county. You can't even buy it there, you have to go to Lexington. It's a strange world, isn't it?

glad i didn't stop at the maker's mark distillery then. the jim beam one provides some very nice samples though!

jf

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The DC case is a req. by law thing. Threads around here somewhere with the links etc. That was a case where some reporter was following the chief who was using a uniformed cop as a driver or something.

Problem with video is, it can save your ***, or hang it, depending on the situation.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
As it should...as long as the hanging is justified. Video can also be used out of context to make a justified situation appear wrong.

In this case it looks fairly clear.

Latest Discussions