US Olympic Team Trials-highlights

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just watched the final between Martinez and Craig (18 & over 108lbs and over). Seven zot to Craig.

What do people think of the US's chances at the Olympics?

I am always a little disappointed when I see competition TKD. These finalists did not even consider keeping their hands up, they just hung by their sides as though they were more of a hinderance than anything else. That being said, there was some good technique displayed just the same.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
No blocks, no punches. Might as well just lop their arms completely off.

They need to rename Olympic style taekwondo it "taedo" because there is no kwon going on at all.

Kicks only, and not even much of a variety: just arcs, backsides and the occasional axe/crescent.

Ah well.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No blocks, no punches. Might as well just lop their arms completely off.

They need to rename Olympic style taekwondo it "taedo" because there is no kwon going on at all.

Kicks only, and not even much of a variety: just arcs, backsides and the occasional axe/crescent.

Ah well.

This is what is a crying shame in Olympic TKD, it really does not show the true side of the Art.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TKDists are too quick to dis olympic TKD IMHO. I think this is a great sporting aspect of TKD and people need to give these competitors credit. They aren't training for self defense. They are training to win! If hands down helps a competitor win, then its hands down when you spar Olympic TKD style. Same with any other combative sport.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
From my observations,

Most of the Olympic TKD judges have experience in a sporting version of taekwondo in which their training left them with sidekick and punch (not to mention other techniques, such as front kick, etc. etc.) that are seriously lacking in power.

Therefore they assume that, on the rare occassions they see these techniques, that they don't have "trembling shock" (because they were unable to generate trembling shock with theirs).

So coaches/competitors quickly learn then won't get points for punches and sidekicks — so why throw them? Why train train them?

So yea, they are doing what it takes to win under the current circumstances. Maybe electronic hogus will change things for the better.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Right. But we may see the THUNDERING SHOCK in the Olympic games, though. There will be better competition, I am holding out for that.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Right. But we may see the THUNDERING SHOCK in the Olympic games, though. There will be better competition, I am holding out for that.

There won't be better competition, from a spectator's perspective, so don't hold your breath. Take a look at results and videos from World's in Beijing earlier this year. A lot of 1-0 and 2-1 type scores and just about any fight is sure to put you to sleep within a few minutes if you watch any of the videos.

Sport TKD at that level is completely BORING and I say that as a parent of a child who is only interested in the sport aspect of WTF TKD and has no desire to learn anything more about the art.

Latest Discussions