US Airways flight 1549 crashes in Hudson

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently they had a bird strike and lost an engine. Full story here. ABC and CNN are reporting that all passengers and crew have been rescued. Kudos to the pilot for keeping the plane in one piece, and to local ferry crews who were apparently on-scene within minutes to assist in the rescue.

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
The pilot is truly a hero! I have been watching from the onset. I have flown a million times and this truly is a miracle for these folks and us!
Bob Quinn

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The pilot is truly a hero! I have been watching from the onset. I have flown a million times and this truly is a miracle for these folks and us!
Bob Quinn

Couldn't have said it better. Bravo to the pilot and crew for saving all those lives!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
According to the latest news everyone is alive and accounted for. The pilot pulled off a minor miracle.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
pretty much yeah.

he needs to become an instructor so he can share what are clearly superior skills

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Quinn

This si is the best way of saying it.

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is the guy you want with you when the %&*# hits the fan.
He walked up and down the plane to make sure everyone was out. This guy has what it takes.

Bob Quinn

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was chatting with some aeronautical engineers at lunch today and they talked a bit about the extent to which planes are designed to survive crashes--less so than cars, actually, but even still it's pretty amazing...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kudos to the pilot. I'm glad that all turned out well, with no serious injuries. My paper had a few articles on this, but in one, they interviewed another US Airways pilot, who stated that he was flying with "Sully" on trip from Toronto Pittsburgh and the plane had a hydraulic failure. He said that Sully was completely calm during that event. :ultracool

The man is certainly a hero!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know in my opinion very few people are true hero's. However this gentleman who just saved all those people and impacted not only their lives but all of their family and friends lives is simply a true hero! When I watched that happen yesterday and saw the break down later in the evening I was still amazed and inspired by his actions. I hope to be lucky enough to meet him and buy him a drink some day!
icon6.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a saying in the RAF that any landing you walk away from is a good landing and this certain was one of the best! Well done that man!

Incidentally all passenger planes in the RAF have the seating turned so that you face the back of the plane for extra safety, perhaps it's time that civvie planes did too.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Incidentally all passenger planes in the RAF have the seating turned so that you face the back of the plane for extra safety, perhaps it's time that civvie planes did too.
They could but the extra cost to turn all those seats around could raise airfares. Of course newer planes could be designed with rearward facing seats but I think folks would need time to adjust.

Latest Discussions