Unraveling the Essence of a Grandmaster: A Perspective on Leadership in Martial Arts

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear one MDK patch, that's it. That's all any of us wear in our schools.
But don't let that stop you from making unwarranted, unjustified, and bigoted judgements based on no actual information at all.
Say what you want, but I'm calling it how I see it. If your martial arts uniform looks like a Christmas tree, any reasonable human being will see you as a joke.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yikes I have had my dogi sleeves rolled up for over 25 years. I didn't know that was taboo I do have short arms. I actually think I was teaching at a seminar outdoors where I was wearing a ballcap as well. My gi only has country flashings and a dojo patch however. I am a few pounds overweight as well.

Personally the monster patching isn't my taste either. Although my wife for a present got my black belt embroidered a few years ago, I have had it 25+ years s, still wearing it

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yikes I have had my dogi sleeves rolled up for over 25 years. I didn't know that was taboo I do have short arms.
I wouldn't be saying anything about this if they didn't have the title of "grandmaster."

Getting your sleeves hemmed costs $15, and you'll get it back in two days. What's the hold up for a "grandmaster?" Is it poor money or time management? Or does the grandmaster simply not care? It's one thing for a casual student to not be bothered, but wouldn't a grandmaster? Or do they care more about getting "bling" sewn on than getting their sleeves hemmed?

The only time you may see me with my sleeves or pant legs rolled up is if I'm wearing a brand new gi, and I'm giving it some time to shrink on its own. If it doesn't shrink by a sufficient amount after 4 or 5 washes, I'm dropping it off at the alterations shop.
I actually think I was teaching at a seminar outdoors where I was wearing a ballcap as well. My gi only has country flashings and a dojo patch however. I am a few pounds overweight as well.
It's not so much that ballcaps are a reflection of illegitimacy, but the dogi is Japanese wear meant for a formal setting (i.e., the dojo). Adding a ballcap kind of bastardizes it.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I wear one MDK patch, that's it. That's all any of us wear in our schools.
But don't let that stop you from making unwarranted, unjustified, and bigoted judgements based on no actual information at all.
I mean, it’s never stopped you.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't be saying anything about this if they didn't have the title of "grandmaster."

Getting your sleeves hemmed costs $15, and you'll get it back in two days. What's the hold up for a "grandmaster?" Is it poor money or time management? Or does the grandmaster simply not care? It's one thing for a casual student to not be bothered, but wouldn't a grandmaster? Or do they care more about getting "bling" sewn on than getting their sleeves hemmed?

The only time you may see me with my sleeves or pant legs rolled up is if I'm wearing a brand new gi, and I'm giving it some time to shrink on its own. If it doesn't shrink by a sufficient amount after 4 or 5 washes, I'm dropping it off at the alterations shop.

It's not so much that ballcaps are a reflection of illegitimacy, but the dogi is Japanese wear meant for a formal setting (i.e., the dojo). Adding a ballcap kind of bastardizes it.
Fair point with the cap. Outdoor seminar in the summer I think all the schools involved were making a suggestion.

As for the hemming. Also fair. I wear my workshirts the same way. Could just be a habit maybe in my desire to be blue collar, I Bruce Spingsteened my gi and just forgot about it :)

However I am in no way an influence on anyone. So I think that's not going to be a worry.

For the record. I spent the majority of my years in an org that is a laughing stock of the world. Many masters, shihan etc etc. 15th dans. I left after seeing the shame that they exhibited at the Budokan and I had the piss taken out of me in the changeroom by some more local practitioners for being a part of it. I left as soon as I hit Canadian soil. Possibly at the time I was so used to it, it seemed normal.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention about the first person - the fact that a ballcap is being worn. I can't see exactly what's on the ballcap due to the low quality of the image, but it does look like one of those military veteran ball caps (but why would anyone wear a ballcap on with a martial arts uniform?).

Might just be me, but when a martial arts instructor advertises their military service as a credential, it doesn't mean a thing to me, unless they're teaching military combatives such as MCMAP. But, apparently, some people see it as a credential, because they keep advertising it. Hell, John Kreese even had a picture of himself as a Green Beret in Vietnam on the wall of his dojo in the first Karate Kid.
Well, as I said we dont have a uniform per se only optional tshirts and cotton soled slippers. I’m not sure what any costume has to do with martial arts, but hey it’s cool if that’s the deal in whatever style. I think of military dress uniforms in a similar manner, it’s indicative of rank and time invested but not necessarily related to skill. Aside from that, if it’s snazzy and nifty, then all the better. Just for the record, I personally think that the United States Marine Corps have the best dress uniform, but that’s just fashion opinion.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I'm not allowed to teach anyone below 4th Dan????? That seems harsh... :(

Or do I get around this rule by just having people call me Mark?
Tsk. It means anyone under 4 th Dan isn’t worthy of your teaching. Lord Mark, why do I need to remind you? Lord Mark, say it after me. Now shake the ice in the empty glass and lift a disdainful eyebrow at the delay of the refill.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I gotta admit, this one is pretty cool looking. But only respectable if either all students can wear this, or all black belts can wear it. If you have to be a grandmaster to wear this (and I'll bet money that you do), then it's pure megalomaniacal wear.
View attachment 30633
Here's the thing. I've only had one instructor who wore something different from students and other BB (other than the stripes on his belt). He chose a black gi, which only he could wear. That isn't all that different from what you're talking about - he chose to wear what nobody else could - and there was nothing particularly flashy about it. He just liked black, and the association unifrom code was white.

Your posts are full of assumptions about people's skill based on their clothing and health. Some people are tacky, but still reasonable teachers. If the flashy acoutrements are a symptom of an attitude issue, it's the attude that's the issue, not the clothing. As for the health thing, people's health changes, and sometimes in ways they have little control over at the time (though sometimes it's because they didn't take proper care when they were young and dumb).

If I see someone dressed flashier than their school, it raises questions. But I hold judgment until I see how they teach. Girth has little impact on my initial judgment. I've been kicked in the head at close range (closer than I thought a kick could do that) by a guy who was significantly overweight - and apparently a lot faster than me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What if it's "doesn't bother me"?

Or what if it is just low funds. No rank comes with a paycheck, and lots of folks teach without making any real money off it.

Meh. The dogi is for training. If someone wants to put a cap with it when walking around, because they're used to wearing a cap, what's the big deal?

Personally, I'm of the "only wear your dogi when training" camp, but I no longer judge those who wear them to and from training, even if they stop at the grocery store on the way home. It's just clothes, not a religious vestment.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's the thing. I've only had one instructor who wore something different from students and other BB (other than the stripes on his belt). He chose a black gi, which only he could wear. That isn't all that different from what you're talking about - he chose to wear what nobody else could - and there was nothing particularly flashy about it. He just liked black, and the association unifrom code was white.
It is. Your instructor is wearing the same uniform as everyone else, just in a different color. If it turns out that either all of the students or all of the black belts under the guy in the pic wear the same uniform but in different colors, I'll drink a shot of my own toilet water.

Your posts are full of assumptions about people's skill based on their clothing and health. Some people are tacky, but still reasonable teachers. If the flashy acoutrements are a symptom of an attitude issue, it's the attude that's the issue, not the clothing.
I get it, but what's the motive behind all the bling? Is it to look more "credible" by dazzling people with belts that are more gold than black? Can you possibly think of a motive that shouldn't turn off a rational person?

As for the health thing, people's health changes, and sometimes in ways they have little control over at the time (though sometimes it's because they didn't take proper care when they were young and dumb).
Shouldn't their martial arts training have prevented their condition? Remember, prospective students are going to look at this.

If I see someone dressed flashier than their school, it raises questions. But I hold judgment until I see how they teach. Girth has little impact on my initial judgment. I've been kicked in the head at close range (closer than I thought a kick could do that) by a guy who was significantly overweight - and apparently a lot faster than me.
One thing that's important to me is that all of the students should be able to look at any of the instructors - all the way up to the head of the association - and be able to see themselves. They shouldn't see a god among men who's far removed from them.

Last edited:

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Or what if it is just low funds. No rank comes with a paycheck, and lots of folks teach without making any real money off it.
The low funds don't stop them from buying all the other crap and getting it all sewn on. Getting the sleeves hemmed should take precedence over all of that other stuff, wouldn't you agree?

Meh. The dogi is for training. If someone wants to put a cap with it when walking around, because they're used to wearing a cap, what's the big deal?

Personally, I'm of the "only wear your dogi when training" camp, but I no longer judge those who wear them to and from training, even if they stop at the grocery store on the way home. It's just clothes, not a religious vestment.
Maybe, but at least they're not posing for photos looking like that.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess karate fashion goes out of style like any other. When I started training gi pants and top came to only 2/3 of the way down the forearm and lower leg. If I wear my gi sized like that now I get strange looks, sort of like if I dressed in early 1960's style street clothes.

Of course, there was a reason for that style. Japan, especially Okinawa, is very warm and humid in summer, the less clothes the better. 1930 Okinawan karateka wore tank tops and shorts (approaching Jockey briefs).

Gaudy uniforms hurt my old-fashioned sensibilities. I see the uniform as a functional MA tool with no need (other than an organization and style patch) for flash. I've seen that some tournaments require sleeves and belts to be in a specific length range. IMO, too much regulation.

More importantly, perhaps, was that the shorter cut made grabbing more difficult when sparring. The longer cuts now popular may look more fashionable, but are they practical? I guess if the weather is cool and grabbing is not part of one's style it doesn't matter.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL. Verbal aikido. He provided all the energy. I just redirected. My aiki must be on point, because it was effortless.

ok I admit I might have a snicker at a grown man in the market wearing a gi.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Your posts are full of assumptions about people's skill based on their clothing and health. Some people are tacky, but still reasonable teachers. If the flashy acoutrements are a symptom of an attitude issue, it's the attude that's the issue, not the clothing. As for the health thing, people's health changes, and sometimes in ways they have little control over at the time (though sometimes it's because they didn't take proper care when they were young and dumb).

I have seen pictographic evidence that drop bear wears a tie dyed BJJ kimono from time to time. I think he may be somewhat skilled.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen pictographic evidence that drop bear wears a tie dyed BJJ kimono from time to time. I think he may be somewhat skilled.
To be fair, everyone in BJJ is allowed to put whatever they want on their gi - I suppose, unless it depicts nudity, drugs, profanity, etc. If you want your gi to make you look like a Napoleonic Era prince, you can do that as a white belt on your very first day of class if you want. That's what makes BJJ an exception to the rule. You're allowed to look as equally as flamboyant as your instructor. You're even allowed to look more flamboyant than your instructor..

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
To be fair, everyone in BJJ is allowed to put whatever they want on their gi - I suppose, unless it depicts nudity, drugs, profanity, etc. If you want your gi to make you look like a Napoleonic Era prince, you can do that as a white belt on your very first day of class if you want. That's what makes BJJ an exception to the rule. You're allowed to look as equally as flamboyant as your instructor. You're even allowed to look more flamboyant than your instructor..
I hear you. Speaking just for myself, I mention it specifically because I’m not sure if it’s an exception to a rule, or confirmation bias. Simply put, I’m not sure the clothes are much of an indicator either way. When charlatans wear flashy clothes, it just hits differently (if you can forgive the pun).

Part of me also wants to make sure all the newer posters know that @drop bear has a tie dyed gi. 😅

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t being flamboyant get you in ‘trouble‘ on the mat?

When I practised Kendo, if somebody turned up with a gold-flecked lacquered chest protector (‘Do’) or something flashier than the usual black, everyone made it their number one objective to strike ’Do’ to scratch it up a bit or hit the wearer slightly above it’s upper rim, and under your armpit…that is painful!

When someone turned up with a white sword sheath (‘saya’) at an Iaido seminar, he was approached by a senior grade with the comment, “You’re brave, aren’t you?” The student’s inability to read people and situations meant he retorted with, “I’ve ordered a pink one, too.” We never saw him after that seminar as he failed his shodan grading.

Latest Discussions