Unable to see dollyo chagi's in sparring(tournament)

ditn

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,first post:)

I would like to ask for some tips.I just did my first tournament and there is one kick i never seem to see comming(Dollyo chagi).
When ever oppenent did a pikyo chagi or another kick i always saw them comming and could avoid and counter them, but a dollyo chagi i never saw those until they hit me,anyone know why this is and how i can improve that?

Btw for those who wanna know the results:

1ste round 12-5 win
2de round 9-6 win
final Doctor stoppage after a cut from a dollyo chagi. lose

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Second, it could be the way you're holding your hands in a guarding block - if your hands are at a certain angle, they will block your line of sight for techniques coming in from a particular direction. The easiest way to check this is to change your guarding stance and see what happens. You could also have someone videotape you while you're sparring and see if you can determine anything from the tape that will help you figure out why this one kick is so hard for you to see.

Other than that, it's really hard for me to say, without seeing you spar.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the foot is usually the last thing moving. You shouldn't be looking at the kick but more toward the shoulders. Well... not really looking at the shoulders per se as you should keep your eyes 'unfocused' if you will so you can pick up peripheral motions.

Like driving, you don't stare at the bumper of the car in front of you but your focus is wide enough to see that bumper and the cars in the lanes next to you and the traffic signs and lights coming up, etc...

Sparring is the same way, your gaze should be level on the other pieces head or upper chest, because that's usually where the motion for a kick will start, but your focus should be wide enough to see the position of the feet as well.

But by and large, the kick starts in the upper trunk of the body, so in general, you can usually pick up kicks faster by being aware of the center of the shoulders

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ditto, to what the others have said about watching the hips and shoulders the round house type kicks the power comes from the hips and snaping moves off the knee and lower leg. The best thing to do is if the fighter you are facing is faster,then pre-strike them with a kick or punch. But hey what do I know! Ha Ha! All the best in the arts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best way to see it is just reminding yourself that you must watch the hips and not the shoulder, when sparring it ia just like basketball where the hips go the kick will follow by seeing the hip movements you can see the kicks right away.

OP
D

ditn

White Belt
Reaction score
hi,

Thanks for the tips again:)

For the point of focus i usally look at shoulder/hips.It might be right that i look wrong but what i dont understand is,how can see every lower kick then.I think in the entire i countered every lower kick but got hit with every dollyo chagi higher kick:(

Latest Discussions