Ultimate Fighter...

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Their is a lot more fighting in the house this year do you all think it for the ratings or do these guys really act this unprofessional?:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say its a little of both. The viewers like to see the tension, the posturing, etc., and of course, I'm sure you get a bunch of guys, all living in the same house, all thinking that they're the biggest bad ***, thats going to add fuel to the fire as well.

Could this image that they portray, give a bad taste to some? I'm sure it does.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You got a bunch of guys who like to fight and almost certainly were selected as much for drawing viewers as for their ring skills. You give 'em too much time on their hands, with too little structure around it, and bind 'em to the house when they aren't training or on sponsored activities.

Yeah, you got a recipe for stupidity. If Dana was smarter, he'd put 'em all to work in the office for several hours out of the day, in addition to training. Or do something else to keep 'em busy... but then again, that might not be smart 'cause it wouldn't make for ratings!

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That was the whole point of this structure, to create drama. The fighters in the house have no outside contact, can't play on the internet, can't really watch TV, can't do a thing except train. Oh, and one of the sponsors is a booze company so they supply it for free.

Testosterone, competitive drive, booze and high stress. A recipe for fights and drama.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Drama, drama and more drama. That definitely brings in the ratings. Like everyone else I echo that you put a bunch of young fighter's in a house and only allow them out to train add in some alcohol here and there and you have some serious antics.

On the side note I like that the first two shows have this many fights with people trying to get into the house. Definitely an improvement in this season and last seasons beginning shows.
icon14.gif

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The drama and violence gets old. Dana's desire for ratings will be his eventual downfall.

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Making them fight their way into the house has been a big improvement. The slackers in the previous seasons always annoyed me.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah... remember that guy who was dating a girl for 6 months, and wanted to leave the house because "he missed her." He cried himself off the show.

Come on! I'd never root for that guy if he actually made it.

Just like there's "No Crying in Baseball" there should be "No Missing Your Half-a-Girlfriend Too Much at The Ultimate Fighter House."

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The drama is what has kept the show going. Other reality fight style shows have flopped because they didn't have the drama and buildup.

Which completely sucks, I'd rather see the coaching and training myself.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Tapout could be a great show about up and coming fighters, but then it's got the Tapout Crew annoying the crap out of everyone in their way.

Sadly enough, their infectious laughter/antics grow on you. And there definitely IS a lack of drama on that show in comparison to other reality shows... They focus on the fighter, which is a better thing than focus on the House. I'll admit I've Tivo-ed the season... But it's going to take me a while to get around to watching the new season.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
no doubt they encourage a lot of it. these guys tear that house apart and never get in trouble.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Their is a lot more fighting in the house this year do you all think it for the ratings or do these guys really act this unprofessional?:asian:

I'd say its a little of both. The viewers like to see the tension, the posturing, etc., and of course, I'm sure you get a bunch of guys, all living in the same house, all thinking that they're the biggest bad ***, thats going to add fuel to the fire as well.

Could this image that they portray, give a bad taste to some? I'm sure it does.

I just watched my recorded copy form this week.

I have a bad taste in my mouth and I was thinking of stopping the program to record more.

I was glad the one guy who ran his mouth lost. The other guy (Junie) should have been off the show. With the pool cue and bottle those weapons turned his "Fun" into legal issue. While I understand people not wanting to loose their spot on the show by fighting with him, I sure do hope he finally runs into that guy at the bar that puts him into the hospital for months and lots of therapy for his recover just to walk.

But that is my opinion of the little punk.

I am thinking of boycotting the show and the next few UFC events to show my displeasure. I am even thinking of trying to find a way to contact Dana or someone in the organization to express my distaste.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You got a bunch of guys who like to fight and almost certainly were selected as much for drawing viewers as for their ring skills. You give 'em too much time on their hands, with too little structure around it, and bind 'em to the house when they aren't training or on sponsored activities.

Yeah, you got a recipe for stupidity. If Dana was smarter, he'd put 'em all to work in the office for several hours out of the day, in addition to training. Or do something else to keep 'em busy... but then again, that might not be smart 'cause it wouldn't make for ratings!
I like the idea of having them doing something else constructive. If nothing else, mandatory classes on management of a fighter, ground rules for what types of things could REALLY embarrass the MMA community if you pull them in the real world and other skills/knowledge which would help them out in a career. But, as you say, that wouldn't draw much attention.

As for me, I haven't watched since season one. I can't stand "reality tv" in any of it's incarnations... unless you count the History channel as reality tv. I'll watch the UFC fights when they're on free tv but won't pay for one and certainly have no desire to watch TUF.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also like the idea that they (the ufc) should be training these fighter's on on camera interviewing, managing their career, behaving properly in public, etc. I also would like them to bring back the team challenge where they make them work like dogs for some type of comfort or control of the fights.

Last nights episode was so drama laced. It was good to see that one of the drama instigators lost his fight and hopefully the other will be eventually thrown off. I imagine that Dana cannot give him another chance after last night as he was wayyyyy of the hinge.

Journeyman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, Junie may be the biggest jack-*** TUF has ever had on. I couldn't believe he had just almost been kicked off then immediately after that he was trying to provoke trouble again. I think it'll be a miracle if he lasts out the show.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea this is pretty much been great watching someone like Junie make an *** out of himself.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just watched my recorded copy form this week.

I have a bad taste in my mouth and I was thinking of stopping the program to record more.

I was glad the one guy who ran his mouth lost. The other guy (Junie) should have been off the show. With the pool cue and bottle those weapons turned his "Fun" into legal issue. While I understand people not wanting to loose their spot on the show by fighting with him, I sure do hope he finally runs into that guy at the bar that puts him into the hospital for months and lots of therapy for his recover just to walk.

But that is my opinion of the little punk.

I am thinking of boycotting the show and the next few UFC events to show my displeasure. I am even thinking of trying to find a way to contact Dana or someone in the organization to express my distaste.

Ditto. Junie is a little pukewad. He should be banned form all competetion for life.

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Junie has some very real issues (Mental Health and/or otherwise).
He should not be allowed to get into the Octagon and fight until he has gotten the professional help he needs.

Dana White has worked long and hard to change the image of the UFC into an image of highly dedicated, highly trained, highly professional athletes. Junie does not portay this image at all.

Latest Discussions