UK Title Fight Ends With Boxer in a Coma.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so your saying if the corner says "hes ok to fight" and the fighter continues and dies, thats ok? comon now! the fighter has a right to preserve his own life and the final decision is up to him, not the corner, the ref, the Dr. or anyone else.

In MMA there are rules for stopping a fight, I can't see that there wouldn't be similar rules in boxing, the main rule is 'stop the fight the second a fighter cannot intelligently defend himself'.
In some cases the fighter is not in a position to intelligently decide whether he/she should continue, the fighter wants to fight, his will to win is telling him to fight, his heart is telling him to fight but his brain is foggy.
Elder is not saying it's okay if a fighters dies because the corner says he's okay to continue, there are three safeguards, the corners, the referee and the doctor. The final decision is not the fighters. I stopped an MMA fight when one lad's arm was bending too far and he wouldn't tap, he was mad at the time but thanked me afterwards because although his arm was very sore it wasn't wrecked. It was my responsibility for him and to him to make sure he wasn't hurt despite himself.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what i failed to remark on was the fighter himself, experienced or not, who knows better than anyone if some thing was not right, it is ultimately on the fighter themselves to either continue fighting or say wait a minute im not feeling right i should stop this fight before i die! look at the "greatest Boxer of all time" Ali who has irreversible brain damage, i also believe, MY favorite fighter Roy Jones Jr had a brain injury and decided to stop fighting, that may not have been reported as the actual reason he retired but that is my belief. i watched him fight one night and destroy his opponent and his very next fight was like watching a golfer beat the heck out of him as if he were a cripple and i found that very odd and still to this day have no good explanation for what actually happened. it was a sad time for me, i loved watching him fight even though i hated boxing.
The mindset of an athlete is to win no matter what torture they have to put their body through. Athletes will always push their body beyond reasonable limits and will always fight through the pain. Their focus isn't to be safe. Their focus is to win at all costs. We see this mentality in all sports. Because of this, it's up to the coaches and medical staff to stay grounded in reality and keep their athlete safe. They are the "fail safe logic" for an athletes extreme desire and drive to win.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The mindset of an athlete is to win no matter what torture they have to put their body through. Athletes will always push their body beyond reasonable limits and will always fight through the pain. Their focus isn't to be safe. Their focus is to win at all costs. We see this mentality in all sports. Because of this, it's up to the coaches and medical staff to stay grounded in reality and keep their athlete safe. They are the "fail safe logic" for an athletes extreme desire and drive to win.

This is exactly right. Fighters will also fight anyone who offers, one of the most important jobs that a coach/manager does is picking the right opponent for his/her fighter. A sensible fighter never chooses his own opponent. I've seen a lot of independent MMA fighters take any fight offered to them and this leads to trouble, the promoter is hopefully genuinely wanting good matches but often they just want a fight. Often they have a local fighter who is going to sell tickets, the trick is to get a fighter below the local one's level so there's a win for them. This leads to the less experienced or less prepared fighter getting hurt. Independent fighters all too often also take too many fights.
However, worse than a fighter doing his owning managing is a fighter who is pushed by his management into fights he's not ready for. MMA in the UK hasn't reached the point where managing a fighting brings in big money, even fighting doesn't bring in much but boxing does, it brings in very big money.
Blackwell has no amateur boxing experience and his first 8 fights were in white collar boxing, good boxers but not professionals. His 9th fighter he lost against an experienced professional boxer, his next four opponents he won against but back at white collar level then again another loss against an ex European champion. His opponents then were good but only good, nothing of Eubanks Jrs standard though. If you look at Chris Eubanks record he has been fighting pro boxers who have held or hold records on big shows not small leisure centres. Blackwell may be a good talented and have the heart to fight but he has been badly managed. He did win the Commonwealth title by dint of the fact his opponent's corners threw in the towel ironically enough.
The latest news on Blackwell is that he not deteriorating and will be brought out of the coma soon, so fingers crossed all goes well.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think many different things compelled Blackwell to completely defy logic. Most wouldn't have been in the thought processes though. I think simply that Blackwell should be commended for sticking it out. He did want to stop, or give up, knowing full well want the penalty is. Yeah he will be okay, but still hurting. He seems to, using that as I am kind of winging it here, but seems logical to me that the mental capacity is there. Just needs a little tactical overhall. Anyway, sincerely hope that his boxing licence is safe, and he makes a fighting recovery.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest I'm pretty sure he'll never fight again with a licence and not many unlicensed promoters will take a chance on having him fight.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah guess so, not a good way to go for sure. Suppose it would somewhat romantic to hope for a neurological mirical.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the UK press, Eubank Snr has said what was posted in the OP. The wasn't that clear, but I am inclined to believe Chris. Especially in light of that horrendous night back in 91.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the UK press, Eubank Snr has said what was posted in the OP. The wasn't that clear, but I am inclined to believe Chris. Especially in light of that horrendous night back in 91.

I watched it on the BBC news where they had a clearer recording, he definitely said that. They had experts on saying that's what was said. Chris Eubank Snr, speaks in a very distinct way, I don't know anyone else who speaks as he does. he doesn't act or dress like anyone else either for that matter, he's unique.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched it on the BBC news where they had a clearer recording, he definitely said that. They had experts on saying that's what was said. Chris Eubank Snr, speaks in a very distinct way, I don't know anyone else who speaks as he does. he doesn't act or dress like anyone else either for that matter, he's unique.

I concur sounds somewhat underwhelming. I had a very all to brief contact with Chris in the marina. Yeah unique individual and more intelligent than given credit for IMHO.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching Sky news ( other half wanting T20 scores, England in the final now yay!) and Blackwell is still in the coma. Hopefully things are still on track though for him.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just read this article on it. Suggests that he'll come out of coma on his on (doesn't cite anyone saying that), along with a video talking to his fighter with clear audio.
"If the referee doesn't want to stop it then...I don't know what to tell you. But I will tell you this: If he doesn't stop it, and you keep on beating him like this 1. He is getting hurt 2. If it goes to a decision...Why doesn't the referee stop the fight? I don't get why. So maybe you shouldn't leave it to the referee. You're not going to take him out to the face you're going to take him out to the body."
No idea what he said during the round, but that is very clearly what he is telling Chris Jr. in between rounds (after the 8th I believe).
Boxing fans launch Just Giving page for Nick Blackwell

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just read this article on it. Suggests that he'll come out of coma on his on (doesn't cite anyone saying that), along with a video talking to his fighter with clear audio.
"If the referee doesn't want to stop it then...I don't know what to tell you. But I will tell you this: If he doesn't stop it, and you keep on beating him like this 1. He is getting hurt 2. If it goes to a decision...Why doesn't the referee stop the fight? I don't get why. So maybe you shouldn't leave it to the referee. You're not going to take him out to the face you're going to take him out to the body."
No idea what he said during the round, but that is very clearly what he is telling Chris Jr. in between rounds (after the 8th I believe).
Boxing fans launch Just Giving page for Nick Blackwell
Boxers and cornermen talk funny. I guess it's broken grammar because on the amount of time the have to get their point across. sorry of like a verbal short hand.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxers and cornermen talk funny. I guess it's broken grammar because on the amount of time the have to get their point across. sorry of like a verbal short hand.

Chris Eubank always speaks with perfect grammar and perfect diction albeit with a slight lisp, that's what makes his speech distinctive lol. He was at the pre fight press conference with a cup of tea in a bone china cup and saucer with his little finger up. He dresses like a gentleman from the early 1900s, he has always done this, he is very much a character. He was also world champion for five years so knows what he's talking about.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With Tez. Like him or lothe him, Chris Eubank is a superb boxer, with a chin made of granite. Do not disrespect a superb British boxer. I thank you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Should be "sort of" instead of "sorry." Tez3 I didn't hear his lisp in the clips I watched. Is it a heavy lisp?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With Tez. Like him or lothe him, Chris Eubank is a superb boxer, with a chin made of granite. Do not disrespect a superb British boxer. I thank you.
There was no disrespect. I even stated that they may talk with broken grammar because of the small amount of time that they have in between lines. This is something that I've noticed from all cornermen. Iong proper sentences probably don't register when you are pumped up with adrenaline or dizzy from punches. even though the grammar is broken, it's straight to the point. take a look at clips of corner men and you'll see the same way. Not sure how that is disrespectful for me to point that out.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no disrespect. I even stated that they may talk with broken grammar because of the small amount of time that they have in between lines. This is something that I've noticed from all cornermen. Iong proper sentences probably don't register when you are pumped up with adrenaline or dizzy from punches. even though the grammar is broken, it's straight to the point. take a look at clips of corner men and you'll see the same way. Not sure how that is disrespectful for me to point that out.

It's a slight lisp. Eubank Snr wasn't cornering. He came into the ring especially to tell his son to hit to the body because he could see the other fighter was hurt. I don't think he's ever cornered a fighter.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry, jumped the gun . Corner men are tune with their charges. They know their boxers. Yes you are right, it is fight speak

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a slight lisp. Eubank Snr wasn't cornering. He came into the ring especially to tell his son to hit to the body because he could see the other fighter was hurt. I don't think he's ever cornered a fighter.

Nor did Snr.

Latest Discussions