UK Title Fight Ends With Boxer in a Coma.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no disrespect. I even stated that they may talk with broken grammar because of the small amount of time that they have in between lines. This is something that I've noticed from all cornermen. Iong proper sentences probably don't register when you are pumped up with adrenaline or dizzy from punches. even though the grammar is broken, it's straight to the point. take a look at clips of corner men and you'll see the same way. Not sure how that is disrespectful for me to point that out.

Oh don't need to look at corner man clips. Thanks

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was no disrespect. I even stated that they may talk with broken grammar because of the small amount of time that they have in between lines. This is something that I've noticed from all cornermen. Iong proper sentences probably don't register when you are pumped up with adrenaline or dizzy from punches. even though the grammar is broken, it's straight to the point. take a look at clips of corner men and you'll see the same way. Not sure how that is disrespectful for me to point that out.
I think it actually helps the boxer more. They have their adrenaline all pumped and may be pretty dizzy a couple rounds in. Definitely not going to want to decipher long articulate sentences. A short, straight to the point message with no extra fluff is exactly what they want.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it actually helps the boxer more. They have their adrenaline all pumped and may be pretty dizzy a couple rounds in. Definitely not going to want to decipher long articulate sentences. A short, straight to the point message with no extra fluff is exactly what they want.

I'm sure it does but I will repeat that Eubank senior was not cornering, he came into the ring specifically for one reason, to tell his son not to hit to the other boxer's head.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure it does but I will repeat that Eubank senior was not cornering, he came into the ring specially to tell his son not to hit to the other boxer's head.
Yup. I realize that, I wasn't commenting on Eubank, his speech, or his intentions. He was very clearly trying to help blackwell, which is the only reason he had to go into the ring, and he was pretty obviously frustrated. JowGa said that it's something he noticed about cornermen in general, so I was giving a reason.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all those cornering fighters are male btw, I've cornered MMA fighters and kickboxers many times over the years, there's an art to it, not shouting very much is best, they rarely hear you anyway though a female voice will carry and penetrate the crowd noise better. There's also much more to the job than 'shouting', you need to be prepared for a lot of things. Many corners just come up with the tired old clichés anyway 'he's tiring, he's losing, you won that round, you've got him now'. A good corner will pick up on 'tells' from the other fighter, will watch for opening their fighter maybe can't see and often in MMA when on the ground to remind your fighter to punch and knee their opponent.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. I realize that, I wasn't commenting on Eubank, his speech, or his intentions. He was very clearly trying to help blackwell, which is the only reason he had to go into the ring, and he was pretty obviously frustrated. JowGa said that it's something he noticed about cornermen in general, so I was giving a reason.

JowGa response whatever, you have to know boxing. General does not apply. I see what you are saying The Eubanks situation is sensitive

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not all those cornering fighters are male btw, I've cornered MMA fighters and kickboxers many times over the years,
I actually thought about this while I was writing, and considered writing cornerpeople, but figured it was unnecessarily pc since 'cornerman' is an established phrase. Guess I was wrong :rolleyes:
A good corner will pick up on 'tells' from the other fighter, will watch for opening their fighter maybe can't see and often in MMA when on the ground to remind your fighter to punch and knee their opponent.
This is true, but at the same time you don't want to be overly wordy when you're doing this. However, this is based on what I have been told from friends who have fought and been cornerpeople, I have no personal experience, and you have more experience than I have been alive, so I will very readily defer to you in this.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mostly communication during the rounds is a sort of shorthand code, you build it up during training. No point in shouting for your fighter to do some thing if the other fighter can hear lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
totally agree.

I used to really like boxing a lot but I lost interest in it once all of the great fighters left retired. I don't know who the top dog is these days. I just know that Don King pretty much soured my stomach with his promotions.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not all those cornering fighters are male btw, I've cornered MMA fighters and kickboxers many times over the years, there's an art to it, not shouting very much is best, they rarely hear you anyway though a female voice will carry and penetrate the crowd noise better. There's also much more to the job than 'shouting', you need to be prepared for a lot of things. Many corners just come up with the tired old clichés anyway 'he's tiring, he's losing, you won that round, you've got him now'. A good corner will pick up on 'tells' from the other fighter, will watch for opening their fighter maybe can't see and often in MMA when on the ground to remind your fighter to punch and knee their opponent.
How different is it with MMA compared to Boxing?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
it was him I was speaking about.

Here's a video of Eubanks snr talking about his son. He has some interesting views on boxing.

I'm impressed. I still don't hear the lisp.. lol probably my American ears lol. Our it could be all of the mumbling (specifically Young Thug) that has become popular with the younger generation's rap music that makes Eubanks voice music to my ears. lol
For those who don't know of Young Thug, consider yourself lucky.

But back to Eubanks. He sounds very down to earth.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed. I still don't hear the lisp.. lol probably my American ears lol. Our it could be all of the mumbling (specifically Young Thug) that has become popular with the younger generation's rap music that makes Eubanks voice music to my ears. lol
For those who don't know of Young Thug, consider yourself lucky.

But back to Eubanks. He sounds very down to earth.

He's like Marmite you either love him or hate him but he's never ignored.

How different is it with MMA compared to Boxing?

In what ways? there's often more time to shout at your fighters in MMA! :)

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Boxer Nick Blackwell in coma after title fight defeat

There's a lot of criticism of the referee for not stopping the fight sooner, the medical services for not jumping in sooner and the promotion for making the fighter parade around while waiting for the decision. Chris Eubank Snr. who is himself a well known boxer, told his son to target his opponent's body after fearing something was wrong after the heavy pounding he'd taken with the ref showing no sign of stopping the fight. Eubank Snr was banging on the mat telling them to stop the fight. It was stopped by the doctor eventually.
Eubank Sr. knows exactly what he's talking about, 25 years ago during one of his fights his opponent Michael Watson was hurt so badly he collapsed in the ring and was on the point of death. It took him years to recover but what happened to him changed the way athletes here are treated.Boxing: The night Michael Watson's career was ended
My thoughts and prayers are with Nick Blackwell, for a speedy and full recovery but while he fought bravely he really shouldn't have been in that ring, he simply wasn't ready for a fight with Eubank.
Fact is yes what happened sucked but let's be honest yes he was getting hit hard but he was defending himself and fighting back it's not like he was staggering around the ring with his hands down barely able to stand. He was throwing hard punches back and no he wasn't winning but he wasnt getting absolutely dominated either

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fact is yes what happened sucked but let's be honest yes he was getting hit hard but he was defending himself and fighting back it's not like he was staggering around the ring with his hands down barely able to stand. He was throwing hard punches back and no he wasn't winning but he wasnt getting absolutely dominated either

You don't wait until a fighter is staggering around or unable to defend himself before pausing the fight to get the doctor in when the fighter has a lump that size on his forehead. It wasn't the usual swollen eye it was a lump on his head, a look at his eyes would have told the ref there was a concern then the doctor should have looked. Perhaps boxing refs don't do this, perhaps that's another difference between boxing and MMA.
The damage may well have been accumulating, while he is a talented boxer Blackwell is basically an amateur who came into pro boxing from white collar, there was no amateur career to prepare him, he wasn't on an England youth or senior squad, never fought for his country in any European, World, Olympic or Commonwealth games all the usual routes, tried and tested ways to prepare for a pro career. He has taken a lot of punches to the head over his short career.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the ref stop the fight by calling a TKO, just stop it to have a doctor look at it and let the doctor make a call.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I may have missed it but has anyone asked the ref and the doctor why they didn't stop it to examine the fighter? If so, what was their response?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I may have missed it but has anyone asked the ref and the doctor why they didn't stop it to examine the fighter? If so, what was their response?
It's a judgement call and no one is 100% accurate with those type of calls

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, the ref didn't stop it primarily because hindsights a *****, and he thought blackwell wasn't being 100% dominated.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've gathered, the ref didn't stop it primarily because hindsights a *****, and he thought blackwell wasn't being 100% dominated.

As MMA refs we tend to watch the fighters reactions and injuries more, perhaps because of the likelihood of different injuries and things like chokes. I guess we just watch faces/eyes more by habit than boxing refs do because nearly all of my MMA mates thought the lump should have been looked at, perhaps too because we don't have standing counts we like to make sure a person is 'out' or unable to continue before declaring the fight finished. A boxing ref can do standing counts so can take the risks we can't. We also don't do 'dominated' as such, our criteria is 'intelligently defending himself' that mean no putting hands up out of habit or reflex, they have to be defending themselves properly, another reason we look at faces and eyes to make sure the fighter is 'all there' and not just being a robot.