Ugh. . . Innovative Firing Stances for the AK

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm guessing there isn't much or a sight picture.

Attachments

• $untitleddd.bmp.jpg
    $untitleddd.bmp.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 190
  • $untitledfff.bmp.jpg
    $untitledfff.bmp.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 196
  • $untitledgag.bmp.jpg
    $untitledgag.bmp.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 191
  • $untitledggg.bmp.jpg
    $untitledggg.bmp.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 190
  • $untitledss.bmp.jpg
    $untitledss.bmp.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 194
OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I couldn't resist this one either. The "over the head" technique seems to be quite dominant.

Attachments

• $ww.bmp.jpg
    $ww.bmp.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 203

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw this on another forum...it's pretty pathetic. If you had to be in a gunfight, you'd want it to be against someone like these morons

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
I saw this on another forum...it's pretty pathetic. If you had to be in a gunfight, you'd want it to be against someone like these morons

I would suggest that unless you spent your childhood growing up in a chaotic, war-torn environment in which you have known nothing but fear and rage for your entire life, your family and friends are being killed and your home is being destroyed, you just might want to refrain from making such judgemental comments.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You would think they would have better technique then wouldnt you?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
You would think they would have better technique then wouldnt you?

I suspect in a true firefight technique is bound to deteriorate as the chaos increases. Technique aside however, I guess I was referring more to the bit about "these morons". "These morons" are a product of horrible circumstances and events that I am sure Kenpotex cannot relate to.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Take a look at our troops in Iraq, they at least shoulder their weapons...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Take a look at our troops in Iraq, they at least shoulder their weapons...

Once again, I am not arguing technique. While I am competent with a rifle, I have no military experience, nor have I myself ever been in anything even resembling a firefight.

I am suggesting that arrogantly referring to these people as morons is inappropriate. I doubt the individual who made this reference would fair any better in a real firefight, and I doubt he has any experience whatsoever with the type of conditions that made these people into who/what they are now. Therefor, calling them morons is juvenile, ignorant, and inappropriate.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well as this is the "Firing Range" and not the Study, I would think that technique is the point here. I do note your point. But based on the inhuman horror stories that come out of some of those third world cesspools Im not breaking out my violin.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're right...this isn't the study. If you're wanting to discuss the geo-political situation in Africa then, by all means, start a thread there. However, let's just discuss how these folks are handling their weapons in here. I remember seeing film footage of US soldiers in Viet-nam laying an M-16 over a wall and just spraying back and forth with a supressing fire.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "state of the art" in combat stances is what I call the "center hold" stock close to sternum, elbows in tight to body, torso leaning forward and square to target.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
theletch1 said:
let's just discuss how these folks are handling their weapons in here. I remember seeing film footage of US soldiers in Viet-nam laying an M-16 over a wall and just spraying back and forth with a supressing fire.

A stray or unaimed bullet does as much damage as an aimed and purposeful shot. Cover fire has its merits. It seems these guys are running somewhere, perhaps using guns in that manor? Looks a little odd, but perhaps is effective?

MrH

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You see that technique a lot in the 3rd world. Its plain untrained technique. Theres no way those rounds are doing much effectively. Cover fire has to impact somewhere near the other guy to keep his head down. In combat if the troop can keep his weapon shouldered and is at least looking over/through his sights hes going to be much more effective than "sprayn' and prayn'"

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair enough. I just felt the initial comment that sparked my reply was also inappropriate to a discussion of shooting technique. I've said my part, don't mean to belabor the point.

I agree, the technique doesn't seem to be one that would get a lot of accurate results, but may have merit as a spraying "cover fire" or shooting on the run when the goal is to keep the opponents pinned down by unpredictable fire.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
You see that technique a lot in the 3rd world. Its plain untrained technique.

Well, that is one problem with the civil wars and political upheaval that goes on in the 3rd world. Most of these combatants are not soldiers with any actual military training.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive run firing with an M16/M4 in the center hold method while at least having the front sight post in the neighborhood of the target. IMO this technique shown has zero merit and is asking for friendly fire causalities when doing fire and maneuver.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember doing live fire drills while in the Corps and remember that it scared the hell out of me knowing that some of the guys I was running with really thought that the sprayin and prayin method had it's merits during house clearing ops. As far as the US military goes I know that there is a basic difference between the Army stance and the Marine stance. While the Army has a "more lead down range means a better chance of a hit" mentality the Marine Corps still practices the "one shot one kill" ideology. Now, does that mean that you won't see any Marines just sprayin down a building when the stuff hits the fan? No, but given the most basic of training most soldiers (professional or not) would understand proper weapon control.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
I suspect in a true firefight technique is bound to deteriorate as the chaos increases. Technique aside however, I guess I was referring more to the bit about "these morons". "These morons" are a product of horrible circumstances and events that I am sure Kenpotex cannot relate to.
:sadsong:
No I can't relate to their horrible circumstances. Frankly, I don't give a flip about their circumstances, I was commenting on their [lack of] shooting technique. My comments would have been the same regarding the way gangbangers here in the US tend to turn their handguns 90-degrees to the side.

Flying Crane said:
I doubt the individual who made this reference would fair any better in a real firefight, and I doubt he has any experience whatsoever with the type of conditions that made these people into who/what they are now.
Thank you for that ASSumption. I admit that I have not been subjected to the types of conditions they face (see the previous paragraph for my level of concern). However, while I have not been in the military, I have had enough training/experience with firearms to be able to state with confidence that my skills would be better that the ones we've seen displayed.

As the others have said: this is the "Firing Range." The purpose of this board is to discuss firearms, and techniques for using them. If you want to discuss the sociological issues surrounding these people, start a thread in the study. I don't particularly appreciate the fact that what appear to be your only posts in the firearms board, are off-topic reprimands aimed at me.

Okay, I'm done, I'm not going to waste any more time on this nonsense.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
:sadsong:
No I can't relate to their horrible circumstances. Frankly, I don't give a flip about their circumstances, I was commenting on their [lack of] shooting technique. My comments would have been the same regarding the way gangbangers here in the US tend to turn their handguns 90-degrees to the side.

Thank you for that ASSumption. I admit that I have not been subjected to the types of conditions they face (see the previous paragraph for my level of concern). However, while I have not been in the military, I have had enough training/experience with firearms to be able to state with confidence that my skills would be better that the ones we've seen displayed.

As the others have said: this is the "Firing Range." The purpose of this board is to discuss firearms, and techniques for using them. If you want to discuss the sociological issues surrounding these people, start a thread in the study. I don't particularly appreciate the fact that what appear to be your only posts in the firearms board, are off-topic reprimands aimed at me.

Okay, I'm done, I'm not going to waste any more time on this nonsense.

The way your first posting was worded, it sounded to me like you were making implications beyond their shooting techniques. If I misunderstood your message, then I apologize. I agree, their shooting technique doesn't seem practical or effective. It was my perception that your comment was perhaps aimed more at who they were, than at their shooting technique, that caused my reaction. Again, if I was mistaken, then you have my apologies. Sometimes things written on the internet get honestly misinterpreted. It's one of the land mines that we all try to avoid, but sometimes step on.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys, you're getting real close to hi-jacking the thread into a discussion that could/should be taken to the study or to PM. Let's get back on to topic.

The style that gang bangers use here in the states was mentioned. Let's discuss possible reasons why they use the techs they use. Is it a carry over from media influences (movies etc) or do the movies mimic what the gangbangers were doing in the first place?

Latest Discussions