UFC: Kimbo Slice signs joins the UFC via the Ultimate FIghter 10

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Dana White's first ever video blog for the WEC and talks about Kimbo Slice joining the UFC.

More...
The hardest hitting UFC news from MMARingReport.com

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
He said he would not do it, guess they need the type of fans he would bring in or something.:asian:

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Put Seth Petruzelli in the house for a second time. That would make it interesting. I think Dana would see it as good for ratings and it means Kimbo actually has to prove himself before getting a proper UFC gig. I don't rate him so and I hope he gets KO'ed in his first fight

Cheers
Sam:asian:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It will be interesting. Kimbo has been training with Bas Rutten to learn the MMA game. If he is on the TUF he will have to earn a spot into the UFC. This is a win/win for Dana....Kimbo gets the draws to watch the show and if he does win and get a contract, then Dana wins because Kimbo has shown that he now has some legit skills and he has him fight for the UFC and already has a huge fan recognition.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
For Kimbo it is a great opportunity, if he gets into the house. He will, at the least, get to spend some time training with some great fughters and will be learning MMA for the duration of the show.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
As if I weren't disgusted enough with Dana White's vision of the UFC already. :barf:

UFC is :flushed:

Dude still has to make it into the house. I don't see his participation as different from any other up-and-comer. At least he has to prove himself this time before getting a contract.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
What's to be disgusted about? It's a business and he can surly make money from this endeavor.

About the decline of quality match ups.

Perhaps I just expect better, but you enjoy it and spend your money for the PPV's if you like. I won't be, even though I get a huge discount. :)

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dude still has to make it into the house. I don't see his participation as different from any other up-and-comer. At least he has to prove himself this time before getting a contract.
Actually, according to an article by Kevin Iole, all sixteen participants invited to Vegas for TUF 10 will be in the house- there won't be any elimination match-ups to get into the house.

Last edited:

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I almost want to call this a win/not-much-of-a-loss situation.

Kimbo's presence will draw some attention in addition to TUF's current fanbase. Even people who want to see Kimbo get eliminated will most certainly tune in to at least catch the possiblity of it happening. Love him or hate him, people will tune in. A win for the company.

Now if he wins a contract or shows enough skill to be regarded as a UFC competitor (notice I did not say title contender), UFC has another potential fighter on the roster who may draw more fans to the events, and Kimbo will have at least shown himself to be more than a web-celebrity. A win for Kimbo and another win for the UFC.

However, if he loses- especially if it's in his first TUF match- he'll probably be back to whatever it is he was doing before, and UFC will chalk that up as a "not so great idea", but it probably won't put a major dent in the company's standing. In this scenario, it may not be a huge loss for the company, and the only entity who stands to lose anything might be Kimbo.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, according to an article by Kevin Iole, all sixteen participants invited to Vegas for TUF 10 will be in the house- there won't be any elimination match-ups to get into the house.

That's too bad, I liked the new format. Oh well, he'll still have to fight. I'd rather watch Kimbo than someone like, say, Junie Browning.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
About the decline of quality match ups.

Perhaps I just expect better, but you enjoy it and spend your money for the PPV's if you like. I won't be, even though I get a huge discount. :)

I don't watch fighting, I don't see the point so no I won't be watching their PPV.

I do see the advantage in getting someone who's a "name" fighter on your TV show. It's a business, don't think of it as anything but, money talks and what someone said yesterday may not hold true if there's profit to be made in the contrary.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
It will be interesting. Kimbo has been training with Bas Rutten to learn the MMA game. If he is on the TUF he will have to earn a spot into the UFC. This is a win/win for Dana....Kimbo gets the draws to watch the show and if he does win and get a contract, then Dana wins because Kimbo has shown that he now has some legit skills and he has him fight for the UFC and already has a huge fan recognition.

He hasn't been training with Bas for quite a while (unless Bas has taken him back and I don't know about it). There was some kind of issue with regards to his dedication and him doing as he was told I believe

Cheers

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
He hasn't been training with Bas for quite a while (unless Bas has taken him back and I don't know about it). There was some kind of issue with regards to his dedication and him doing as he was told I believe

Cheers

Ok, not sure, I was just going on the last time Kimbo fought, Bas was talking about training Kimbo. That does make it seem like more of a sideshow if he hasn't even been training with a good trainer since EliteXC though.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is a good move for Dana and the UFC and will probably make the show interesting. I am not a Kimbo fan at all and if he get's a bad match up he will lose early on. Still if he can fight and make his way to the UFC then there you go he had to earn it.

Kenpo1981

White Belt
Reaction score
In Kimbo, I see a rough guy with a lot of power. If this is something he really wants to do and is willing to show dedication, I wish him the best. TUF is a good proving ground and an opportunity to learn a lot about competing in these contests. I hope he sucks it up and works hard at it. I think it's great Dana White is willing to give him a shot.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think is a good move by the UFC, and if Kimbo can improve on his conditioning then he has a good shot of winning. He can't always rely on his power, and better hope that he has a ground game that's good enough to overcome his challengers.

He has to go by what his coaches tell him, He can't have it be the Kimbo show in the octagon or else his presence is going to be short lived.

Latest Discussions