Turning/Roundhouse kick?

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I have to beat Terry to the punch here hehehehehehe :) He did all these good kicking threads, but left out the turning/roundhouse kick.

Anyways, how do you do the turning/roundhouse kick and why. Add your veiws on this kick as well (specially you higher ranked guys/gals).

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I do them in a linear fasion, other time I pick my knee up toward 2:00 before the body transition. I haven't quite committed myself to the Muay thai style, where you throw your body first, other than on a bag.
Sean

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Ok, I have to beat Terry to the punch here hehehehehehe :) He did all these good kicking threads, but left out the turning/roundhouse kick.

Anyways, how do you do the turning/roundhouse kick and why. Add your veiws on this kick as well (specially you higher ranked guys/gals).

KarateKid you beat me:rofl: oh well, let me ask you a question are talking the nanabaum or autobound by some. Thanks
Terry

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The standing roundhouse. Or the front leg roundhouse, or however you do it, and why (or how you were taught, and why) and your view on it. We'll get into the 360 later ;)

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
KarateKid you beat me:rofl: oh well, let me ask you a question are talking the nanabaum or autobound by some. Thanks
Terry

Yea, I would have to to beat you Terry ;)

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I throw them a number of ways. For demonstrating for say, a beginner, I'll break it down into separate moves. For a back leg, bring forward, knee up and aiming at the middle of the target, toes aiming down straightening the foot, hip forward and support foot begins rotating. Arms still in fighting stance, but relaxed. Roll hip over so your little toe is on top and your foot is paralell to your hip, while support foot finishes rotation. Swing kicking leg out. Whether you return it, drop it or follow through depends on what you're kicking and why.

For sparring, I throw it almost as a front snap kick but twist and roll my hip at the last moment, generating its power. Because I throw it too slow against a ready opponent, I tend to use it while they're either in between stances or resetting. It's proven very effective at those times. Even against a much faster opponent.

Front leg RH, I almost always use as a feint or fake, but it used to be my bread and butter kick. I prefer a skip front leg round house though. Not standing.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How i was taught, was aim at a bag, stand completely side ways, then turn your whole body over, to face the opposite direction, then kick the bag. After awile i started getting faster, and faster, and woot i can do a roundhouse now heh. Sadly alot of Martial Artists use round kicks, but they dont turn their hips over.

Laborn.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

Please describe each if you will. We don't use those terms. Just curious. TW

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to keep my hips either facing forward or at an angle when sparring (I don't like the side or "closed" stance when sparring) and using the kick as more of a battering ram. I don't use a full snap, but rather use my hips to launch the kick and I prefer to hit with either the instep of my foot or shin depending on what I am hitting. Sometimes I will use the ball of my foot to hit someone in the nose or in the padding on the head.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
They are korean terms for the 360 roundhouse. I believe.
You are the winner Big Nick you get to go to Go collect $200.00 and drink all night.
terry

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, my turn (since I started the thread LOL). I do the roundhouse so many different ways. It depends on what I'm doing. If we are doing bag work, or air shield drills for power, I do the Thai style roundhouse (leading with my hip). If it's forms, one steps, technique drills, ect I use the normal roundhouse (chamber, turn my hip over, kick and rechamber). If I'm sparring, I do the TKD style 45 degree kick for speed. I also employ the front leg roundhouse in sparring (less telegraphed ... I fight south paw).

Latest Discussions