Tumbling

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
How much, if any, tumbling do you do when training?

I think its important to have some basic rolling and falling skills. Keep in mind though that not everyone that walks through the door is going to be able to do those things. Again, IMO, you go to a MA school to learn self defense. If you want to do gymnastics, then thats not the place.

Mike

grappling_mandala

Green Belt
Reaction score
If space is limited I can do a few basic rolls and break falls and call it good. Wide open area I think you should warm up with a few rolls and breakfalls in all directions. It gets you thinking on your feet. Something as easy as loosing footing down the stairs can be dampened by good awareness to rolling and breakfalling. You can break fall and roll off of walls just like the floor to. Just my .03 cents. Good training to you.

Dave in Oregon

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
How much, if any, tumbling do you do when training?
We don't tumble, and I am always amazed when I watch Martial Arts demonstrations that look so :ultracool with lots of handsprings and such, but I often wonder how practical it all is. We once in a while work shoulder rolls, but people have complained so much when doing it that it seems we don't do it enough. I think learning how to fall properly and roll out are important and practical aspects of tumbling to add to your bag of MA tricks.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rolls and falls are very important to everyone. They can really save your butt in time of need. Cartwheels, and handsprings, and flip have no real value in the martial arts other that flash, and possibly helping you understand your spatial orientation.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
We don't tumble, and I am always amazed when I watch Martial Arts demonstrations that look so :ultracool with lots of handsprings and such, but I often wonder how practical it all is. We once in a while work shoulder rolls, but people have complained so much when doing it that it seems we don't do it enough. I think learning how to fall properly and roll out are important and practical aspects of tumbling to add to your bag of MA tricks.

Good post! As I said before, teaching someone the basics of a fall and roll are one thing, but once you start doing cartwheels, handsprings, etc. that can get dangerous if not done properly.

You're right. I've gone to alot of tournaments, and that is mostly what you see....fancy jumping, spinning, cartwheels, etc. but if you think about it, thats really all its good for is show. Would you honestly do a cartwheel in a street fight??? I know I wouldnt!

Mike

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Learning how to fall is, I think, different than tumbling.

I agree that tumbling has little if any value in martial arts other than "parlor tricks" to look good at a tournament.

MJ is correct in that we don't learn it as part of our ma training in kenpo, and it is an integral part of ma (I was fortunate to have been taught how to fall while training in tkd.) She's also correct in saying that a lot of people in our school don't enjoy doing the shoulder roll drill but -- I think one's instructor should insist on some type of training in falling. I once read an article by a female martial artist which spoke about the importance of knowing how to fall and roll within the context of a motorcycle accident she was involved in. She maintained that knowing how saved her life after she was thrown off her bike - had only a broken shoulder, some bumps and bruises, and road burn. (see the comment about falling down the stairs above in this thread.)

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Coming from a strong Gymnastics background into the martial arts rolling and falling were natural to me. To help anyone unfamiliar withteh topic rolling is a continuation of momentum into a safe position, breakfalling is a stopping of motion into a safe position.

I prefer the Rolling over stopping any day of the week. When rlling you can normal move into a standing position, and there is are problems sometimes with trying to stop your momentum.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my current school we do more training in shoulder rolls and falling than in my previous school. Fortunately being a yoga instructor, i'm a bit more flexible than most and have been able to adapt fairly quickly. We train shoulder rolls as part of techs - as though being pushed from behind and coming back up to a guard.

However the handsprings and cartwheels are left to the demo kids and the younger adults!

Donna :ultracool

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone has said about cartwheel and handsprings having no real place in training. And I classify tumbling as the rolls and falls. I have found rolls to be great part of the warm up. Ofcourse you will get adults complaining that thsi stuff is for children, but if you introduce the rolls so that they don't realize that they are learning how to roll things get a little easier. I use log rolls as part of the cool down exercise, I let them know that it will help iron out any kinks they developed during the class.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Ofcourse you will get adults complaining that thsi stuff is for children, but if you introduce the rolls so that they don't realize that they are learning how to roll things get a little easier. I use log rolls as part of the cool down exercise, I let them know that it will help iron out any kinks they developed during the class.
Great tip Rob! :cool: I'd love to hear other ideas on how to incorporate this into our training. I like the log rolls. I think if it's done more regularly eventually it's accepted and the complaining stops. :asian:

Thanks Mike :) And no, I couldn't do a cartwheel if my life depended on it! At least...it wouldn't really look like one! :rofl: I do love watching those exhibitions though! :boing1:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was training in Hapkido, the hardest part was learning the forward rolls and falls. I worked really hard at it, and became pretty good at taking falls. That skill has helped me more times than I can remember in my other MA training - even in arts where you don't typically learn how to fall, if I am put on the floor, I usually don't get hurt. (Of course, I have nice people trying to throw me, too!)

I think it's extremely valuable to learn how to take a fall.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have done rolling - over one shoulder, or sideways over both, as well as dive rolling. I have found the skills to be quite useful is some surprising ways. I think that the most important part of it is training you to be comfortable with the movement, so that if you must apply it in combat, you don't need to think about it. Rather, you are able to focus on other things. For example, when a sideways wrist lock is applied on me with a little downward direction, I can usually roll right out of it. Because I am comfortable in the roll, I can focus on counter attacking while executing the roll, usually by kicking, or attempting to lock the locking arm with my legs.

Once you get used to the dynamics of the roll, they can become excellent options for countering locks, and just generally add to your mobility and body awareness.

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I approach rolls and falls for beginners in 3 phases. Each phase ususally has a couple of levels to help the student become accustomed to the ground. Once a person is no longer scared of the ground they usually end up rolling better.

Here are some pointers I give when I go to a school to teach rolls & falls.

1. When beginners learn to roll and fall, the closer to the ground they are the safer they are and the easier it is for them.

2. NEVER let them to let their heads touch the ground.

3. Rolie Polies are the best introduction to shoulder rols and back rolls.

4. Roll on a diagonal axis never down the spine.

Latest Discussions