TUF: Why is Mayhem Miller such an Underdog against Bisping?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether or not Chris Leben is struggling with an addiction to pain killers has little to do with whether or not Bisping is going to engage with Miller.

Bisping has never had a lot of power. He's fast and fit, has decent take down defense, but typically his fights are boring and go to a decision.

[tangent]I think Leben is a tragic figure, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more addiction surface over the years. The fighters at that level put themselves through a lot of physical abuse. A few years back, the popular assertion was that MMA was safer than boxing, because of the repeated trauma, standing 8 counts and such found in boxing. While I do believe that head trauma is greatly reduced in MMA, the rest of the body is brutalized over years of intense physical training, and I won't be at all surprised to see more stories like this come to light in the years to come.

It's going to be like in Pro Wrestling. While the contact in pro wrestling is loosely choreographed and predetermined, the damage the athletes do to their bodies isn't, and the subsequent addiction to prescription pain killers is common. Mark my words, as the skill level improves across the board at the elite level of MMA, athletes are going to look for any physical advantage they can get, and we're going to see a lot of Leben's who are popping oxycontin and other pain killers so that they can train through injuries.[/tangent]

Why does Leben only get caught in the UK btw? If there's two fighters in a fight why do people always say that one fighters fights are always boring, surely the other fighters must also be boring or perhaps people only think they are boring.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah... that's right! :) I lived in Boston for 4 months for work a few years back. Beautiful city. I really got a kick out of how directions downtown were given relative to the Dunkin' Donuts.

Of course, I'm exaggerating, but that's pretty close to directions I got one time. They worked, too. Found what I was looking for without a hitch. Dunkin' Donuts are there like Starbucks are in Seattle. You can actually stand in some parking lots in Seattle and see three Starbucks. :)

And on the rare occasion that a dunkin donuts actually shut down, Then the directions are given With reference to where the dunkin donuts used to be. ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why does Leben only get caught in the UK btw?
Who knows? I don't. What's your conspiracy theory? What I do know is that oxycontin is
If there's two fighters in a fight why do people always say that one fighters fights are always boring, surely the other fighters must also be boring or perhaps people only think they are boring.
First, he is boring. The only thing exciting about him is his mouth, and that's only because he's a douchebag.

Second, when did you become a Bisping fan? I distinctly remember you trashing him both personally and professional. You disparaged his skills and his character. Why the change of heart? A few years ago, you would be arguing my side of this.

And third, I'm basing my observations on his body of fights. And I agree that if you take two boring fighters, it's going to be a boring fight. Historically, he's not a finisher. Since his fight with Matt Hamill in 2007, he's had 11 fights, and 6 of them have gone to a decision. Two, against Evans and Hamill, were split decisions. Both were slow, boring, rock em sock em robots fights. Granted, Hamill and Evans have also struggled with being boring. Lately, Evans has begun to finish his fights, but early on he was notorious for failing to engage, dancing around the outside and bringing fights to unsatisfying decisions. But a couple of his fights went to decisions against fighters we know are finishers. Leben, for all of his faults, is known for staying in the pocket and banging. He swings for the fences and it's well established that he intends to knock you out or get knocked out trying. Same with Wandi Silva. Taking a fight to a decision with those guys is telling.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Lost me on that one Tez. The point of the post was that Bisping talked beforehand about taking the fight to a JD, NOT trying to finish the fight with Leben. I'm not a Leben fan AT ALL, in fact, I like seeing Leben get beat (a la Munoz). At least Leben tries to go out and finish every fight.

Bisping is not an exciting fighter to me. I know some people like him, but I just don't like that style of sport. I would rather see two of them engage each other instead of running around the ring (exagerating) trying to score points and leave it to the judges. So, yes you can have one boring fighter and have a boring fight because one doesn't want to engage the other one. There have been several fighters in the UFC who were known for having boring fights because they used what became known as "lay and pray". They would take the other guy down and then just hold position and not do anything to advance it. This is the reason that the UFC started to have stand ups, it gets it back to the feet and hopefully have the fighters more engaged.

That aside, my dislike of Bisping is personal because of his unsportsmanlike conduct, which you and I have discussed before and were in agreement.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well its time to see who the better fighter really is

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Didn't see it. It was on Spike, a channel I don't get. Heard Mayhem gassed in the third round. Looks like Bisping finished, though. i'll download the fight today.

Benevolentbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Didn't see it. It was on Spike, a channel I don't get. Heard Mayhem gassed in the third round. Looks like Bisping finished, though. i'll download the fight today.
He actually gassed in the second round in my opinion. I think he got too excited and had too much emotional investment for this fight. He was doing really well in the first round, if he had kept that up he probably would have had the fight. He also showed off his granite chin this fight taking a lot of really strong hits without going down. Even when the judge called it, it was from body shots and Mayhem was still pretty there mentally. Mayhem was far too exhausted to carry on though and would have just continued to take a beating and Bisping would have ended up winning anyway by decision. I have to give Bisping credit though for acting surprisingly sportsmanlike after the fight ended. I think people give Bisping a lot more crap than he deserves and I've seen way more arrogant and rude fighters in MMA, I still wanted Mayhem to win though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bisping gets a lot of aggro from Americans, he responds because he hasn't the sense not to which gives them more ammunition against him. While he does have an arrogant attitude (it runs in the family, his father is worse) he was not unsportsmanlike after fights he's had before the UFC. It suits the UFC to wind him up of course and be the baddie. Theres two fighters in the cage, if one of them is 'boring' what does it say about the other?

Latest Discussions