Trust and inner circle

M

Mickey

How long does a student have to study or train to be trusted and / or moved into the inner circle?

Is it just time?

Is it just a subjectve feeling?

Is it something that the student does?

I mean for example when the young adult moves to adulthood, one of the signs is when the parents trust the young adult and or treat them as an adult and with respect.

How and when or why is it done with a student ?

Curious

Mick

OP
K

kenposcum

Depends.
It's really got more to do with the personality of the instructor and the personalities of the students.
By "inner circle" you mean those students who manage the direction of the school, yes?
:asian:

OP
M

Master of Blades

Me personally I think that it depends on the person but I feel that a studant should only be let into the "circle" if he is trustworthy and respectful as well as responsible. If you dont have any of that I will not let you anywhere near my school and nor will my teacher :eek:

:rofl: :shrug: :asian:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*nudging thread :)

I know our inner circle is very very tight.. and it is difficult to earn the group trust.. but it's definitely a bunch that once you're in.. they will protect you with their lives and it's a good feeling..

Newbies coming to our school are watched by all... not only for how they act during class but how they react to certain situations..
it's a tough call when someone inside the inner circle does something to one.. they do it to all.. and that's pretty hurtful.

OP
K

Kroy

Originally posted by Mickey
How long does a student have to study or train to be trusted and / or moved into the inner circle?

Is it just time?

Is it just a subjectve feeling?

Is it something that the student does?

I mean for example when the young adult moves to adulthood, one of the signs is when the parents trust the young adult and or treat them as an adult and with respect.

How and when or why is it done with a student ?

Curious

Time, the more you show up, the more you train and the more you help.

Mick

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrong or right...for me it is purely subjective feeling. I am the instructor, when I feel that someone is trustworthy enough, then I let them "in."

Part of it too with me is that I don't push anybody "out." I have a small, tightly knit group that I teach. I screen them at first, but once screened, they are a part of the group with all of my knowledge right out in the open for all to take. It is just up to them to take it, or how far they want to go with it. So...I let the student decide where they want to go, but they still have to go down the path to get there. If that makes sense...;)

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thread Nudger!!!
Seriously, it is purely subjective. And getting more difficult as I grow to trust people less and less.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
while time is one factor, so is what kind of contributor are they, what are their motives, can you trust them when they think you are not watching!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*quite guilty of being a thread nudger * :)

True.. every person that comes through the doors will have to be examined and judged.. it's unfortunate but true.. we are putting ourselves and students on the line when a new student begins training. When we get a new male adult student.. I refrain from sparring them the first time.. Is this a protective mechanism I have put up? Probably, I want to see how he moves- his aggression level, control if any before I put myself in front of him. That's just me though, and rather digressing from the topic *G*

All in all, each person has to earn my trust...

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I'm the head instructor, but I do not dictate the inner circle. The Inner Circle dictates it. I did not create the IC, it created itself. The IC decides when to let someone in, it is a collective consciousness. When one member lets someone in, the rest accept them. It's kind of interesting to watch. hat is plainly evident though is that some newbies try to force their way in and are met with stiff resistance. Others do not try and are accepted immeiately. I have some students that have been with me from day 1 that are still not accepted by the IC. I feel it is totally subjective.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Speaking as an American, I think in my discipline, and where I've been trained, if you advance beyond a 1st dan and start nudging into at least 4th BLACK dan territory, or better yet even get promoted to that rank, then yeah, I think that then maybe you'll perhaps be considered as a potential inner circle candidate.

At least those that are in that inner circle will realize that you are strongly driven, even though you are an American. IMHO, it comes down to what type of perserverence you possess within yourself, and if you demonstrate it to those practitioners already in that inner circle.

It also helps tremendiously if you know how to speak the language of your art's origins.

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

I've seen a lot of styles where you have to get into the "circle" before they let you hit black belt. That, in my opinion, is just wrong. The students are not there to necessarily be your confidantes and best buds... they're there to train and become better, regardless of whether you let them into the inner circle or not. But then, what do I know, I'm just a wandering ronin.

OP
M

MisterMike

In the Japanese style I study, there are those referred to as disciples. It isn't something taken lightly or given for political reasons. I am not 100% sure what the reasons are for offering this invitation but I'm sure that the student has expressed complete respect for the Sensei and the Art.

There are many levels to training, and I think that this is the highest.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are dangers to getting into the IC as well. Shortly after being drafted into the IC at my last school I began to realize just who/what my instructor truly was. I did NOT like what I saw. While not a member of the IC I was able to pass off a lot of the things that he did as "I quess that's what all instructors do" or "I guess pain drills are on the schedule for tonight" once on the inside I realized that "pain drills" just replaced what ever was on the schedule when he and his wife were having an argument (his excuse for legally beating on her), I got to know him way too well to continue training with him. As a result I have no desire to be accepted into the IC at my new school even though I researched my new instructor as well as I could before joining.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well since I am of the inner circle.. or shall I say I am the inner circle.. if that makes sense.. I'm pretty darn choosey only because I'm protective of all who are a part of the IC.. at my old school.. a yellow belt never interrupted a BB or brown.. never ... never was invited to functions.. etc.. we're not discrimantory according to rank.. only personality.. if someone just doesn't fit in because they are mean and obnoxious.. well they won't be allowed in..
I'm rambling :)