True Parker?

Rich_Hale

Green Belt
Reaction score
Anyone interested in reviewing the Kenpo Journal may do so at:

www.KenpoJournal.com

A (very brief) history of the Kenpo Journal:

A number of years ago I decided to put together a relational database of the Kenpo system for my personal study.

Having been given a considerable amount of material by Mr. Parker I had a good start, but creating the Kenpo Journal took a more work and a lot longer than I ever imagined. But eventually I got it together and started using it as my personal study guide.

Then, as I started to see how many new, up-and-coming martial artists were searching for "True Parker" material and coming up empty handed, I decided to make it available to the public.

This, of course, meant I had to improve/simplify the interface in such a way as someone with just basic computer skills could use it . . . I eventually got that done as well and started offering it to the public.

Although my Kenpo Journal isn't the only reference available many people do seem to appreciate the database format and some of the extras I have included. And for those who don’t realize it, the Kenpo Journal is not just a database, but also includes printable PDF documents of all the techniques, sets and forms.

For the record, Kevin Lamkin's manuals (available in a PDF format) are very similar to the information contained in the Kenpo Journal and Skip Hancock also offers written manuals which contain information from the same source.

I often use Kevin and Skips manuals to cross reference my own work, whenever I make minor corrections and adjustments to the Kenpo Journal.

Both of these men have worked as diligently as I have in an effort to preserve and advance the Ed Parker System of Kenpo.

I greatly admire and respect both of these men for their contribution to the art.

There has also been some mention as the value of Mr. Parker’s other books, such as the Infinite Insight series. My journal is in no way meant to replace these works.

I own and have studied all of Mr. Parker’s books and though you may not learn how to do a form or a technique directly from these books, you will lean about the man himself and how he thinks and feels. This will in turn help you become qualified to interrupt his manuals and become more proficient in his art.

On a final note, you may have noticed, I shy away from discussing the Kenpo Journal in a public forum, as I don’t want to come off sounding self serving, so please understand when I don’t chime in on conversations about my work.

On the other hand you are most welcome to e-mail me with any questions or comments you may have about the Kenpo Journal.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

www.KenpoJournal.com

A number of years ago I decided to put together a relational database of the Kenpo system for my personal study.

Having been given a considerable amount of material by Mr. Parker I had a good start, but creating the Kenpo Journal took a more work and a lot longer than I ever imagined. But eventually I got it together and started using it as my personal study guide.

Then, as I started to see how many new, up-and-coming martial artists were searching for "True Parker" material and coming up empty handed, I decided to make it available to the public.

This, of course, meant I had to improve/simplify the interface in such a way as someone with just basic computer skills could use it . . . I eventually got that done as well and started offering it to the public.

Although my Kenpo Journal isn't the only reference available many people do seem to appreciate the database format and some of the extras I have included. And for those who don’t realize it, the Kenpo Journal is not just a database, but also includes printable PDF documents of all the techniques, sets and forms.

For the record, Kevin Lamkin's manuals (available in a PDF format) are very similar to the information contained in the Kenpo Journal and Skip Hancock also offers written manuals which contain information from the same source.

I often use Kevin and Skips manuals to cross reference my own work, whenever I make minor corrections and adjustments to the Kenpo Journal.

Both of these men have worked as diligently as I have in an effort to preserve and advance the Ed Parker System of Kenpo.

I greatly admire and respect both of these men for their contribution to the art.

There has also been some mention as the value of Mr. Parker’s other books, such as the Infinite Insight series. My journal is in no way meant to replace these works.

I own and have studied all of Mr. Parker’s books and though you may not learn how to do a form or a technique directly from these books, you will lean about the man himself and how he thinks and feels. This will in turn help you become qualified to interrupt his manuals and become more proficient in his art.

On a final note, you may have noticed, I shy away from discussing the Kenpo Journal in a public forum, as I don’t want to come off sounding self serving, so please understand when I don’t chime in on conversations about my work.

On the other hand you are most welcome to e-mail me with any questions or comments you may have about the Kenpo Journal.
Mr. Hale, your too damn humble! I admire you for that.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
My background in kenpo is mostly based on Shaolin Kempo but my instructor threw in a number of Parker techniques over the years. But he limited my Parker knowledge with only techniques that he felt were worth learning.

So I am left with learning from books and videos, and yes, I know that that is not the ideal way to learn a system but it's all I have right now.

My situation, too. Fun to go back and fill in, tho, isn't it? :)

The two main sources of information I have are Jody Sasaki's video series and a collection of manuals written by Kevin and Eric Lamkin. I have copies of videos that go along with the manuals.

Thanks for the tip.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

www.KenpoJournal.com

WOW! An awesome achievement, made more so by your simply offering it to any and all. A true exhibition of the martial spirit at its best. Thank you, sir.

Latest Discussions