Training while travelling through Europe

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I'll be travelling through France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Italy, Greece, Spain from late August till early December. I've been training wing Chun 1 and a half years under Alan Orr while competing in semi pro MMA here in New Zealand. I'm also a purple belt in Bjj and have been training catch wrestling under Alan also.
I'm keen to see if there are any clubs or individuals that would be interested in training with me while I'm travelling. I'm always eager to share knowledge and learn as much as I can while meeting cool like minded people who live and breath Wing Chun.
I've also thrown my name down for a bare knuckle boxing match hosted by a MMA show in England on the 20th November so the sharper I can be for that the better - still need the all clear from the mrs but that's another story. Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey guys I'll be travelling through France, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia, Italy, Greece, Spain from late August till early December. I've been training wing Chun 1 and a half years under Alan Orr while competing in semi pro MMA here in New Zealand. I'm also a purple belt in Bjj and have been training catch wrestling under Alan also...

Sorry I can't help, since I'm in the States and don't have many contacts in Europe. You might try getting in touch with "Fighterman", AKA Paul Fernandez of "Wing Tsun Do" in Italy. He seems to have a somewhat open minded view about evolving his WC and testing out his ideas ...and he does speak English. He grew up somewhere down-under.

Another thing. When you take off on this journey, be sure to blog about it or at least keep posting here about your experiences. If you can post some video, that would be awesome. Like many here, I admire what your coach, Alan Orr is doing and would love to see how it goes when you work with other WC folk in Europe. Too bad you can't make it to the States.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've also thrown my name down for a bare knuckle boxing match hosted by a MMA show in England on the 20th November

Hi, sounds like quite a journey, I'm envious! Which MMA promotion is the bareknuckle fight on? Is it in the north of England?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How can you travel so much, and so long time??

So try the spanish KEYSI and the british DNA - DEFENCE LAB and tell us the difference.
In the Netherlands I would visit Mr. Perfect (Ernesto Hoost).

OP
B

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help, since I'm in the States and don't have many contacts in Europe. You might try getting in touch with "Fighterman", AKA Paul Fernandez of "Wing Tsun Do" in Italy. He seems to have a somewhat open minded view about evolving his WC and testing out his ideas ...and he does speak English. He grew up somewhere down-under.

Another thing. When you take off on this journey, be sure to blog about it or at least keep posting here about your experiences. If you can post some video, that would be awesome. Like many here, I admire what your coach, Alan Orr is doing and would love to see how it goes when you work with other WC folk in Europe. Too bad you can't make it to the States.
Thanks for the advice bro, The states is next on the list!! I already write a monthly column for mmauncaged magazine detailing the highs and lows of a 'weekend warrior' part time MMA fighter.
But yes I will for sure be writing a blog as I travel, train and compete abroad.

OP
B

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi, sounds like quite a journey, I'm envious! Which MMA promotion is the bareknuckle fight on? Is it in the north of England?
Yep it's in the north and it's a show being run by Duane Harper - not to sure what it's called but that's all minor details in my mind

OP
B

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How can you travel so much, and so long time??

So try the spanish KEYSI and the british DNA - DEFENCE LAB and tell us the difference.
In the Netherlands I would visit Mr. Perfect (Ernesto Hoost).

I live pretty humbly and have been saving for awhile, also my girlfriend is from England so we have places to crash there.
The Netherlands is going to be an interesting trip, I have a contact at Mikes gym.
Knowing the way they train its lucky I've been taking beatings from Alan for the last year so I should be conditioned to survive my time there, let's hope.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep it's in the north and it's a show being run by Duane Harper - not to sure what it's called but that's all minor details in my mind

We have a few bare knuckle fights that are held in straw bale 'rings' in fields, most of the fighters are gypsies, hard men ( and women) so I'd check carefully to see if it's a legit fight night.
I do know of Duane Harper but not as a promoter.

OP
B

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We have a few bare knuckle fights that are held in straw bale 'rings' in fields, most of the fighters are gypsies, hard men ( and women) so I'd check carefully to see if it's a legit fight night.
I do know of Duane Harper but not as a promoter.
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah here in NZ MMA is still like the Wild West, every opponent I've faced has had been a local guy. The promoter seems to neglect to give their proper record but you just gotta roll with the punches sometimes. I'm after a tough fight but as long as people are respectful afterwards then all cool.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah here in NZ MMA is still like the Wild West, every opponent I've faced has had been a local guy. The promoter seems to neglect to give their proper record but you just gotta roll with the punches sometimes. I'm after a tough fight but as long as people are respectful afterwards then all cool.

I'm asking around to see what show ( if it's close I'll come and watch :)) and who's promoting it. I do know someone who promotes bare knuckle fights though.

OP
B

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm asking around to see what show ( if it's close I'll come and watch :)) and who's promoting it. I do know someone who promotes bare knuckle fights though.
Cool thanks for the help. I'll get back to you when I have more info, I'm flying out tonight so will check back here once I get to London.
That be great if you could check it out, would be nice having at least a couple people cheering me on haha

OP
B

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After getting mangled by Leo And his guys in London, I'm off to Belgium next for a couple days. Anyone know guys there to train with?

Mac01

White Belt
Reaction score
It will be nice to touch hands with you, your Sifu is well known person in W.Chun comunity.
You are welcome to visit for BJJ at
Carlos Maia BJJ Macedonia
and also we can do some private Wing Chun "rolling" as well.
Place to visit Skopje-R.Macedonia.
(Contact: Zikov Marjan | Facebook)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It will be nice to touch hands with you, your Sifu is well known person in W.Chun comunity.
You are welcome to visit for BJJ at
Carlos Maia BJJ Macedonia
and also we can do some private Wing Chun "rolling" as well.
Place to visit Skopje-R.Macedonia.
(Contact: Zikov Marjan | Facebook)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the offer, yes it's been great training with different people from varying backgrounds/cultures. After a few minutes rolling the barriers come down and you leave with a new friend - nothing like being dropped with head kick then taken out for coffee afterwards haha. I will keep in touch, Greece was initially a must on this trip, which would make visiting your gym easy. The only thing holding us back from visiting is the cost of insurance, but I'll keep in contact regardless, cheers.

OP
B

Bkouba

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After too many cold showers post kettlebell training we're moving on from Belgium to Amsterdam. Booking into campground for much needed warm shower and check out the local WC scene!