How is your injury doing? Better I hope! Mine is feeling better
everyday, I am even going to begin lifting weights again this
week after seeing my physician and getting the okay! If your
injury is not doing good right now, a friend of mine recommended
that you ask your instructor if he would like you to videotape
some of your groups training! The instructor gets the tape,
(valuable footage) and you get to see things from the lens which often
really helps your movement as well! All of course must be okay
with your instructor as some people do not want to be videotaped!

Brian R. VanCise

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Went back to class last week... had to bow out of some stuff I tried doing, but its getting better every day.

Ive been practice cutting with my Boken most of the week, trying to "work out" the kinks in my shoulder before sunday, since we are doing Tameshigiri and I dont want to miss that...

So far, so good!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I frequently work out with people that are injured. As long as they tell me ahead of time, there has been no problem. Of course, many of these people are visiting Japan and got injured while here. One recent guy had surgery on his knee two weeks before he was schedualed to come. Of course the idea of missing training after all they went through to get here is a bit different from what you may be facing.

sandan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
live to fight another day. There are benefits to training injured sometimes, however, but don't be stupid about it. An attacker on the street is not really going to care if you're hurt or not. If you feel you cannot train or your doctor recommends you not to train, by all means don't train, but do attend classes so you can at least observe and visualize techniques.

P

paradoxbox

Hi Technopunk, I had the same kind of injury as you about a year and a half ago. It was uncomfortable for me for about 3 months. I restarted training after about 2 weeks. I can sympathize with the pain, it's worse than gout or being impaled, I know.. The dull ache you have will probably go away in another month or so, and you probably will no longer feel any more 'acute' or piercing pains if you move your arm to the sensitive spots (like accross your chest).

Just be careful in the future not to land on your shoulders in ukemi as this will aggrivate the injury. I'm not sure if you're the same as I am, but it took a lot of guts for me to start doing ukemi over the damaged shoulder again. I had to start by doing ukemi from seiza...

Wish you luck in your recovery! In a few months you won't even notice any pain anymore.

Latest Discussions