Training Injured

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I would love to show up for class... I cant get there right now... No car, and I cant ride with my arm in the sling.

The tank got pretty trashed. Need to replace it.
Glad your ok, sorry about the bike. Maybe someone could pick you up for class? Even if youe unsure about training I am sure everyone would like to see you.....and if your other arm is working..:drinkbeer

Markk Bush

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I trained for three months with my arm in a long arm cast and pins sticking out. It was a good experience that I don't want to repeat. My surgeon did look oddly at me when I asked how long before I could punch full contact with that arm.

A physicians opinion is a good idea but look for one with experience at getting athletes back to training quickly and safely. the average physician who thinks that walking 9 holes of golf is a good hard work out probably knows little about getting serious athletes back to work. This is not a knock on those doctors, Medicine is extremely broad and complex and attorneys are always waiting in the wings. It is easier and safer to slow someones recovery from and injury than to speed it.

Jeff

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, my orthopedic surgeon gave me the same look when I showed him I could finally sit down on folded knees - completely - about 13 months after my midline ACL reconstruction. He said he never wanted to see me do that again. So ... I won't do it in front of him again. :)

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would be concerned if it were a knee or leg injury..but being that it is a shoulder injury it would be more dangerous for you to go grocery shopping than to go to class. If you have not seen Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu you wouldnt understand how our movement adapts to our situation......techniques can be done with one arm, while learning to position your injured area away from the attack.......of course your training partners will go slow....start tai chi style (slow and soft) to get a feel for the movement.

Markk Bush

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Techno,

I had the same injury to both of my AC joints. It sucks! I couldn't sleep on my side for about 4-6 months because of the pain. That being said, the injury takes a LONG time to heal completely. YOu need to keep it immobile for as long as the Dr. orders.

The first time I did it was what my wife referred to as a "single car accident". In other words, I did it to myself. The second time I did it, to the other shoulder, was an instructor doing a PERFECT throw. I couldn't roll out of it. I came down with a wonderful wet, squishy popping noise.

Both times, I would still come to class to at least watch. You pickup so much when you force yourself to step back and just watch what your instructor and other students are doing. I would work in on some of the techniques. I would do everything with one arm. It made me concentrate on using my legs and body to do everything instead of using my arms and hands.

Try doing Sanchin and Kihon with one arm. It will open up a whole new way to look at what you are doing.

DO NOT be an uke for quite some time. Your friends will understand the need for you to avid this for a while. Just work in with others. You don't need to be tough about it. If it hurts, stop. From experience, don't try to do Uke Nagashi at any speed other than super-slo-mo. Just about dropped me to my knees when I did it.

REst and get better.

Josh

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
althaur said:
The second time I did it, to the other shoulder, was an instructor doing a PERFECT throw. I couldn't roll out of it. I came down with a wonderful wet, squishy popping noise.

I remember you being out of commission for a bit with that one, but I don't recall just how it happened -- please tell me it was Patrick and not me!

althaur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Depends. What's the guilt gonna get me? ;)

It was Patrick. We had a tendency to go a little too close to full throttle. You only ever gave me bruises and busted lips. :)

E

Elizium

Tengu6 said:
I would be concerned if it were a knee or leg injury..but being that it is a shoulder injury it would be more dangerous for you to go grocery shopping than to go to class. If you have not seen Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu you wouldnt understand how our movement adapts to our situation......techniques can be done with one arm, while learning to position your injured area away from the attack.......of course your training partners will go slow....start tai chi style (slow and soft) to get a feel for the movement.

Markk Bush
Go slow in a Tai Chi style? Are you nuts? You have one good arm so why not use that instead of your damaged other. :uhyeah:

My arm was hurt at the socket the day before I had to cover for my instructor. So I done some one armed techniques like Musha, Gansake, Omote and foot placement ETC All can be done 1 armed. It is just a matter of placing yourself in to that way to use your arm better.

But yesterday the docs have told me to go and rest, not for my arm, but for this tumor/cancer thing on my kidney. Oh well, who want to buy a diced up liver?

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Elizium said:
Go slow in a Tai Chi style? Are you nuts? You have one good arm so why not use that instead of your damaged other. :uhyeah:
Where did I ever say to use the injured arm? I clearly explain not use it, and keep it positioned away from the attacker.

Markk Bush

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
Where did I ever say to use the injured arm? I clearly explain not use it, and keep it positioned away from the attacker.

Markk Bush

I think you missed his sarcasm. Training slowly being a hotbutton topic and all . . .

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I think you missed his sarcasm. Training slowly being a hotbutton topic and all . . .
I saw the sarcasm in the going slow part, it's the "using the damaged arm" part that I was refering to.....doesnt make sense in a sarcastic application......he furthur goes on to explain that our techniques can be done one armed, which I had already alluded to making me think he didn,t read my post and just responded to it.

I appologize if it entirely went over my head.

Markk Bush

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
At the West Coast Buyu Camp this past weekend (see http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=407347#post407347) Ed Martin taught a session on training "around" injuries during the afternoon 'breakout sessions" on Saturday. I missed it, as I was scheduled to teach a session at the same time. However, in class last night I started off by asking everyone who'd been to the camp if there was anything that had really impressed them from any of the training sessions that they'd like to share with everyone.

A couple of people mentioned Ed's class, so we started off with a couple of things he'd shown with only one arm usable as a base to work from; and I gave them a lot of henka and further concepts to play with as well.

After the mid-class break I got into an area Ed hadn't had time for: What if you can only use one leg? I used my obi to make a "sling" for my right leg: Normally it's worn wrapped twice around the waist, but I wrapped it once around, moved the knot around to my right side, tied the ends and looped my right ankle through.

Everyone was surprised to see how well you can evade, strike, and grapple while bouncing around on one leg. . .Yes, you can even do a really devastating ganseki-nage while dropping into seiza. :boing1:

We finished up with a bunch of suwari-type stuff, the idea being that -- with only one leg available -- you'd fallen or been knocked down and the opponent is coming at you.

I also made sure everyone got to do some free-form "randori' for a while at the end of class.

I think it's important to do this kind of training occasionally. . .and it also happens to be fun, though I'll admit that it's probably more fun when you're not actually injured.

Reactions: MJS

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dale that sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. At one of Ed's seminars we had a gentleman with 2 prosthetic legs and one prosthetic arm (he removes the arm for training and uses his one natural arm), this guywas amazing.....we did some Suwari Gata and he removed the legs for that as well......I believe his legs stop just above the knee.....and let me tell you no one treated him any different and he could hold his own...........he was one hell of an inspiration for sure!

Here is a pic
Piss_on_Pity.jpg
http://www.earthwayjourney.com/Images/
Markk Bush

Reactions: MJS
OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes! He was very good! I was quite impressed.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pic. was awesome!!! I give this guy a huge amount of credit for keeping up with his training!!! He certainly is an inspiration for everyone!! :asian:

Mike

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Markk, thanks so much for posting that -- this guy is fanfreakin'tastic!!!

Number me among those who love his shirt, too.

:asian:

D

dscott

I would have to say that you have to do what's comfortable for you to do. I've been training for the last 7 months with a good size bone chip in my elbow (I'm getting surgery this winter). I wear a neoprene sleeve during training, not because it helps with the pain, but because it helps others to remember that I'm injured and to watch out. If something bothers my elbow, I simply don't do it. It's not worth screwing your arm up.

I didn't take my own advice. When I first injured my elbow (hyperextended due to an overzelous armbar) I rushed back into using it. I should have taken time off of physical activities but I didn't. I think that's now why it requires surgery.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've trained with him a few times, he's very good. One note however: do NOT kick him in the shins. They're metal and it hurts!