Training exercise to strengthen tendon and ligaments

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a topic on "Training exercise to strengthen tendon and ligaments" already,if so can someone point me to that thread?
otherwise my question is, are there any exercise that can help achieve it? i heard that the YJKYM trains the ligaments and tendons, but that is only to lower half what about the top?

Thanks in advance.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure if there is a topic on "Training exercise to strengthen tendon and ligaments" already,if so can someone point me to that thread?
otherwise my question is, are there any exercise that can help achieve it? i heard that the YJKYM trains the ligaments and tendons, but that is only to lower half what about the top?

Thanks in advance.
why have you come to the conclusion your tendons need strengthening? That are already pretty tough by design, they are the bodies equivalent of steel cables, you have to go well outside your normal activerty range to damage them. The normal problem to is getting them to lengthen, not making them stronger

do active things to increase your muscle strengh and flexability and the tendons and ligaments will develop in sympathy to to the muscles, OR its impossible to develop tendons with out doing the muscles, and impossible to develop muscles with out doing the tendons

if you have,a specific problem , like say the ankle tendon, then puts lots of ankle exercises in to your routeen

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say that you will find this built into the system already. The first form is going to help build functional flexibility in the body, the third form is going to help build elasticity into the body, and the weapons will help strengthen the body as a whole.

Add to that pull ups, push ups, some reasonable weight training and yoga type stretching movements and I think you've got a pretty good recipe.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

From a medical point of view, there is no such thing as exercise to strengthen ligaments and tendons. Ligaments are not a contractile tissue and are not connected to contractile tissue. Any work to focus on ligaments is simply going to stretch them out. Tendons are not contractile either. The muscle fibers are coated and supported by fascia. This fascia comes together at the end of the muscle to form the tendon which anchors the muscle. Typically, when martial artists are talking about developing "tendon strength" what they really mean is that they are learning to recruit muscle fibers closer to the attachments of the muscle rather than at the belly of the muscle. It can also mean they are developing better motor control over the muscle so that they are recruiting more of the muscle fibers at once without having to bulk up.

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
THANKS Jobo, Y Sao and KPM, This is great advice, thanks everyone!! This is heaps better then what google gave me.
so in summery, focuse on stretches and general fitness.

So as a off topic, in addition to doing the forms. Will free weights or body weight training yield better results for martial arts in WC. Im still slightly confused, in WC we focus on structure so "technically" i do not need muscels right?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
in WC we focus on structure so "technically" i do not need muscels right?

Not that I know anything about WC, but without working muscles how do you hold structure?

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not that I know anything about WC, but without working muscles how do you hold structure?

well there are muscels involved but not emphasize to a point where ill look like a body builder........ not saying thats a bad thing, im sure more muscles will pack more punch. then i also read somewhere saying more muscels slow u down.
The internet is a wonderful place for information right or wrong.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
THANKS Jobo, Y Sao and KPM, This is great advice, thanks everyone!! This is heaps better then what google gave me.
so in summery, focuse on stretches and general fitness.

So as a off topic, in addition to doing the forms. Will free weights or body weight training yield better results for martial arts in WC. Im still slightly confused, in WC we focus on structure so "technically" i do not need muscels right?
either or a combination of both is fine, you won't end up looking like a body builder, body builders have a lot of trouble looking like body builders

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
What Jobo said! :) Building strength and flexibility is a good thing, regardless of what your athletic activity may be. When working on strength just focus on resistance that allows a moderate amount of repetitions (10-15). Using a large amount of weight such that you can only do 5 or 6 reps at a time is what builds bulk and can slow you down.

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thanks all, off to the gym i go to get that "Bruce lee" body. an 8 pack, big chest and lats :woot:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks all, off to the gym i go to get that "Bruce lee" body. an 8 pack, big chest and lats :woot:

I've got one of those 8 packs - problem is that it's hidden behind a family pack :(

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

its a funny thing, but the Bruce lee look is what most people, even body builders want to look like, ir rather they want to have that " toned" look. so that visible muscle and relatively low body fat. Which is more or less what you will get, if you work out to a sensible degree, don't consume 5000 calories a,day and keep off anabolic steroid.

which is what a lot of " body builders " do, which is how they get to look like a prize bull. If you take a look at a natural body builders class, apart from looking really silly as they have covered themselfs in gold paint , youl notice they look more like Bruce than arnie

Reactions: KPM
OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
its a funny thing, but the Bruce lee look is what most people, even body builders want to look like, ir rather they want to have that " toned" look. so that visible muscle and relatively low body fat. Which is more or less what you will get, if you work out to a sensible degree, don't consume 5000 calories a,day and keep off anabolic steroid.

which is what a lot of " body builders " do, which is how they get to look like a prize bull. If you take a look at a natural body builders class, apart from looking really silly as they have covered themselfs in gold paint , youl notice they look more like Bruce than arnie

i could never get how they are able to consume so much yet not gain fat. Weight lifting cannot possibly burn that much energy, and i dont think I've ever seen a body builder do cardio.

exercise to a "sensible degree" is open to all sorts of interpretations, ill try my best to be sensible lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i could never get how they are able to consume so much yet not gain fat. Weight lifting cannot possibly burn that much energy, and i dont think I've ever seen a body builder do cardio.

exercise to a "sensible degree" is open to all sorts of interpretations, ill try my best to be sensible lol
they are in an unholy cycle of taking steroids, doing quite ridiculasly heavy exercises, which you can only do on steroids and eating VAST,amounts of food, to " bulk" . Then when they are the size of a,double,wardrobe, they " cut" which means they drop to 800 calories a,day and take,another,cocktail of drugs to get the fat off, but then they loose a lot of muscle, so they go back to the beginning and,start the,steroids again.

repeat, repeat repeat, steroids are,wonderful, apart from the,skin ulceration, erectile dysfunction and the violent mood swings and deep depression, obviously.

god god NO, cardio gives you female hormones and steals your muscles, then you need more steroids

sensible for you, its fairly obvious if you are walking like a,crab all week you might have over done it

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i t
they are in an unholy cycle of taking steroids, doing quite ridiculasly heavy exercises, which you can only do on steroids and eating VAST,amounts of food, to " bulk" . Then when they are the size of a,double,wardrobe, they " cut" which means they drop to 800 calories a,day and take,another,cocktail of drugs to get the fat off, but then they loose a lot of muscle, so they go back to the beginning and,start the,steroids again.

repeat, repeat repeat, steroids are,wonderful, apart from the,skin ulceration, erectile dysfunction and the violent mood swings and deep depression, obviously.

god god NO, cardio gives you female hormones and steals your muscles, then you need more steroids

sensible for you, its fairly obvious if you are walking like a,crab all week you might have over done it

i think ill just stick to 100% natural exercise and MA. give the steroids a miss those side effects are not worth it, i want EVERYTHING to be functioning (if u know what i mean). Body buildings seems like a lot of work to make ur shirt look tight ;) lol

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had a few friends who are powerlifters, and they would do specific exercises to strengthen tendons and ligaments, not for lifting purposes (contractile) but for stability in joints.

For example, just holding very heavy dumbbells (like a farmers walk, but not moving) until you can’t. I am told that this helped with wrists, elbows and shoulders.

Outside of that, there is a set of exercises called I Chin Ching in a book that Yang Jwing Ming out a number of years back...”Muscle/Tendon Changing Classic,” I believe.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well there are muscels involved but not emphasize to a point where ill look like a body builder........ not saying thats a bad thing, im sure more muscles will pack more punch. then i also read somewhere saying more muscels slow u down.
The internet is a wonderful place for information right or wrong.

Look at a sprinter.

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
meaning they are lean and fast? i have never seen a muscular sprinter.....well not a successful one anyway LOL

Latest Discussions