Training alone

wade11

White Belt
Reaction score
This subject has always fascinated me.

Imagine the following 2 things:

1 - In one month you will fight empty-handed to the death (literally) against an adversary you know nothing about. No gear, no referee, no rules. Someone will die.

2 - You have no access to sparring partners or anyone to practice on.

How would you train?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No rules? But you said empty-handed. That's a rule.

If I know that in one month someone is going to fight me to the death (and I can't avoid them like @Headhunter suggests), then in 1 month I'm going to have my Mossberg 930 and my Springfield XDM on hand.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or I’d call mr miyagi to give me instructions to wash his cars and paint his house lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
w

1 - In one month you will fight empty-handed to the death (literally) against an adversary you know nothing about. No gear, no referee, no rules. Someone will die.

How would you train?
well it may actually happen, in the next month or so, you could end up fighting someone, you currently know nothing about,if not to the death then to a serius beating.

so where are you now?

it really matters, as to what you do next.

your not going to get a lot of skill development in a few weeks. , how ever 9n a month or two you can dramtically improve yoyr cardio and your strength , if these are in anyway lacking, then thats what id spend most of my time and effort on

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

How would you train?
#1 In one month you will fight. Rule.
#2 Empty-handed. Rule
#3 To the Death. Rule
#4 Adversary you know nothing about. Rule
$5 No Gear. Rule
#6 No Rules. Rule
#7 Someone will die. Uh...see your rule #3.

Hmm, several rules for a no rule event.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

How would you train?
- Get a coconut.
- Drill 2 holes in it.
- Tie it between 2 trees.

You try to punch the coconut that bouncing between 2 trees 1,000 times daily.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No rules? But you said empty-handed. That's a rule.

If I know that in one month someone is going to fight me to the death (and I can't avoid them like @Headhunter suggests), then in 1 month I'm going to have my Mossberg 930 and my Springfield XDM on hand.
That's what I thought too. The moment he said No Rules, is the moment it stop being an empty hand fight for me. lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Easy....I wouldn’t show up
If this was in an area where I had no choice but to show up, then I'm looking to pay someone to poison that guy or catch him when he's sleeping lol Who would willingly show up for a death match? I think roman gladiators pretty much answers that question. "I"m not here because I want to be." lol.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. Well, I got one intelligent reply.
Mate,,..you asked a question about how we’d train for a fight to the death with no rules...as the saying goes “ask a stupid question get a stupid answer”

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry but hypothetical questions as above are a waste of time.
If one is fighting for their life then they are in fear for their life and/or grave bodily harm.
That is one of the things I train for anyway. Not 'all' my training is done with that mindset at the time of training more often than not it is just plain enjoyable. However, I never forget that the training is about saving my life or the life of a love one at its core.
When it comes to self defense; be aware, leave, if you can't leave evade, stun, create and maintain distance if possible, if you can't do that then be as violent as you are able until you can leave. Hopefully your training with help. If it comes to that you'll need cardio, strength, mobility and luck on your side. Just train.

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry but hypothetical questions as above are a waste of time.
If one is fighting for their life then they are in fear for their life and/or grave bodily harm.
That is one of the things I train for anyway. Not 'all' my training is done with that mindset at the time of training more often than not it is just plain enjoyable. However, I never forget that the training is about saving my life or the life of a loved one at its core.
When it comes to self-defense; be aware, leave, if you can't leave evade, stun, create and maintain distance if possible, if you can't do that then be as violent as you are able until you can leave. Hopefully your training with help. If it comes to that you'll need cardio, strength, mobility, and luck on your side. Just train.
I agree with Danny, You can't understand the mindset and power of your opponent, you just need to train as hard as you can to save your life.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think you should have asked 'How would you change your everyday training'

I train alone 5days out of 7, two days with two other people and eventually, once a month with people I never train with. (Sparring, various techniques and skills).

But to the death, knowing it was coming, I wouldn't do the fight at all, but my daily training wouldn't change.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would just keep doing exactly what I am already doing. My training is perfect and complete. There is nothing that needs to be changed.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

How would you train?

Your post is confessing to me.
Why would I fight someone I did not know?
I have been in alot of fights, but I never wanted them dead.
Any fight I got in ,I used what ever was avaible such as a pool cue.

Out side of a movie, I have never seen people fight to the death.
I guess a cage fight is what you are discribing.

Training for a cage fight in a month, you have to be crazy.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why would I fight someone I did not know?
Many many years ago when I was young. Someone knocked on my window around the middle of the night. One of my neighbors said, "My brother got beaten up badly. We need to take revenge." I took a stick with me, went out with him along with many other neighbors. I had no idea who I was going to fight against that night.

Silly thing like that does happen in our life time.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

how would you train?

There is a story (I think I've told this one before) of a tea master who found himself in just this position, except he only had a week to prepare for a duel with a Samurai warrior. So, he went to a warrior friend of his to ask for help in training for the fight. His friend said no way can it be done - not enough time to teach your body. But he pointed out to the tea master that he was already trained in spirit. "Just approach the duel as you would tea ceremony." So on the day of the duel the two combatants approached each other. The Samurai saw the calm serenity and presence of mind of his opponent and was so shaken, he fled.

So, in the absence of technique, spirit can be an equalizer. Of course, the tea master was a "master" to begin with. For most untrained people in this given scenario, I would suggest the following 30 day (every day) training regimen:

#1. Accept the fact there is a good chance you'll die and get comfortable with it.
#2. Practice a single technique - a hand feint to the head and a knee breaking / wrenching kick would be my personal choice.
#3. Foster a fighting spirit - attack a heavy bag intent on killing; break and rip things apart with hands, teeth, head and feet and fingers.

Approach the fight with #1 with a look that says "I'm ready to die.".......... Execute #2........... Regardless of the results, proceed to #3.
Given the parameters of the scenario, I think this plan would give an untrained person the best shot. For trained people there are more options - I'll leave that to other posters.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very hard to ingrain any techniques I don't already know in muscle memory, in just a month. Personally, I would perfect the techniques I already have, and focus on physical preparation such as cardio. Also shadowboxing and maybe some sort of blocking drill with a pitching machine to iron out any flinching.

Latest Discussions