Day #006 First Shadow boxing combo

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my mind a combination is any technique that is made of 3 or more actions (strikes, kicks, attacks, defenses). Put together 3 actions and you have a good path way. So in the video you see me in the creative stage of what I've been training so far:
  1. Straight punch
  2. Hook
  3. Lead punch
  4. Revers punch
  5. Forward movement
  6. Reverse Movement
  7. Cut Angle
  8. Turn /Pivot movement
  9. Pull guard
So far everything that's in is video are things that I've trained in 5 days. If you are a beginner then this is more than enough for you to work with for months before adding anything new. I'm training my son and today was the first day his mind exploded which is the sign that I need to only focus on #1 - #8. For me personally I could do a lot more but I'm going to stick with #1 -#9 I'm going to master these to some degree and start to learn how to position these techniques in a way that will allow me to blend into more complex attacks and defenses.

Today I mixed a few combos of my own along with some of the combos found in the beginner Jow Ga form. I want to mix as much as possible and to have these combos flow from me like air. You will seem me pause and restart. This is normal. It's just me getting my mind together and the feel together. Learning what works for me and what doesn't

The most difficult thing about shadow boxing, in my opinion, is figuring what comes next. If I hit you in the side of your head, what comes next? do you fall, stumble, duck before my punch reaches, block, dodge, tie me up. After you do what you do, then what comes next to me. How can I throw my strikes in a way that leaves me best prepared for what comes next, and best prepared to take the next opportunity.

How am I visualizing my opponent. Does my opponent just stand there? Is my opponent tall, short, fat, thin. Does my opponent have a longer reach? weaker or stronger. All of these things factor into my shadow boxing. It's stuff that I have to work out and understand and as I train, I'll be able to switch modes in mid process.

1 through 9 is ALOT. While I won't go through them all I will try to highlight just how vast the these basics are.

One more thing. I shake may arms because this was done after I did my weight training. I did 30 reps on the bench today so shoulders were tight. You'll get see me progress with speed and fluidity as well as combos.
You'll also see my son progress as well.

Latest Discussions