Train with your dog?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say depends on the dog and what you're thinking as far as him training with you. I've had German shepherds most of my life. I train solo with my dog around. You can use it to help obedience training. Specifically working the dogs impulse control. The dog I have now hit a double end bag and ripped it down when he was younger. I hit the bag a couple of times then the furry missile flew in. I can say that impulse control is a big part of training certain dogs, and is an immense help in overall obedience. The same dog can now hold a down while I'm doing bag work. Which translates to him being able to control his impulses to chase/bite etc other things. I don't do any type of partner work with him around. For one, muzzled he'd still be a danger to my partner, and two, I don't want to desensitize him to someone "acting aggressively" towards me.
Just my two cents
i think this fits under my last post, but there are ways to make your dog enjoy it. If you ignore your dog for an hour as you train, no breed will be happy with that. But if you break every 5-10 minutes (which is helpful anyway) and spend the break playong with your dog, most dogs will be more than happy to wait for playtime. Once they learn the routine.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On a trip to Ohai, California, a bastion of 30-something hippies at the time, my wife and I were walking amongst the candle and incense shops, boutiques and health food restaurants, and came across a "New Age crystal shop that we stepped into. And there was a woman with a crystal standing over a dog laying on a table, aligning his spiritual chakras! (I think she charged $15.) Maybe there's a market for doggy tai chi. Colored collars could denote rank. I know, I know, they don't care about rank, but that's another thread.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a trip to Ohai, California, a bastion of 30-something hippies at the time, my wife and I were walking amongst the candle and incense shops, boutiques and health food restaurants, and came across a "New Age crystal shop that we stepped into. And there was a woman with a crystal standing over a dog laying on a table, aligning his spiritual chakras! (I think she charged $15.) Maybe there's a market for doggy tai chi. Colored collars could denote rank. I know, I know, they don't care about rank, but that's another thread.
Actually, dogs are obsessed with ranking and being an 8th level ‘Good Boy’ is much coveted.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
We have two Great Pyrenees, both turned 1 this month, plus a Border/Pyr who is 8, a 4 year old Cairn Terrier, and a cat. I play with them all a lot, but I do not train with them. Were I to spar with the Pyrenees, I'd probably lose. The small one is about 130 pounds. The Polar Bear is about 150.
419876361_10232210387866655_6572587992035542698_n.jpg
While our son and daughter-in-law were on their Switzerland honeymoon for 2-weeks we (I) kept their English Bulldog. A pleasant enough animal and experience. But he is an inside dog, which I am just not used to. We used to have hunting dogs, which, or course, stayed outside. And had a purpose.
This is a sincere question. How do you handle or get used to the shedding and furniture destruction? He never chews on anything but is rough on the surfaces. I imagine your shedding is several orders higher than just the single Bulldog.
I love the Pyrenees breed.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have two Great Pyrenees, both turned 1 this month, plus a Border/Pyr who is 8, a 4 year old Cairn Terrier, and a cat. I play with them all a lot, but I do not train with them. Were I to spar with the Pyrenees, I'd probably lose. The small one is about 130 pounds. The Polar Bear is about 150.
419876361_10232210387866655_6572587992035542698_n.jpg
Oh my goodness….9th level ‘Good dogs’…so cute.🥰

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks,
Trolls and others occasionally do get through the doors. When they do, please don't engage them. Simply use the Report function to let the Staff know, and we'll deal with it. If you engage them, were often forced to clean up the exchange, and it's even possible that you could create a new violation of The Rules for yourself.

jks9199
MT Administrator

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone train with your dog? My 10 month old wants to involve himself in my training. I'm thinking of working him into my routine.
Does anyone do this? Does it help? I'm new at Karate and the dog is a pup so we can learn together. Am I nuts?
I train my dog to read my body language. If I hear a certain noise then I will go to where my dog is and I act as If I'm alert about the noise I heard outside.

Dogs are excellent readers of body language. However, your dong can only read what you show them. If they can tell when you are in fight mode then they will work out the best plan of attack.

By nature most dogs want humans to follow their agressive behavior. When they bark at a stranger then they want you to get into alert mode too.

Some dogs do a better job with reading people than others. I also play rough with my dogs. A lot of wrestling and as long as their bites are playful then it's fine. The moment my dog loses control, I stop and discipline the dog. Discipline may be me doing a yelp or a laundry no in a deep voice.

Other than that, the only real integration of martial arts training and pet dogs would be cardio training. Go have fun with your dog and chase your dog. See if you can make the dog tired before the dog makes you tired.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You joke but let's see what Google says.

OP
O

Old CJ

White Belt
Reaction score
I train my dog to read my body language. If I hear a certain noise then I will go to where my dog is and I act as If I'm alert about the noise I heard outside.

Dogs are excellent readers of body language. However, your dong can only read what you show them. If they can tell when you are in fight mode then they will work out the best plan of attack.

By nature most dogs want humans to follow their agressive behavior. When they bark at a stranger then they want you to get into alert mode too.

Some dogs do a better job with reading people than others. I also play rough with my dogs. A lot of wrestling and as long as their bites are playful then it's fine. The moment my dog loses control, I stop and discipline the dog. Discipline may be me doing a yelp or a laundry no in a deep voice.

Other than that, the only real integration of martial arts training and pet dogs would be cardio training. Go have fun with your dog and chase your dog. See if you can make the dog tired before the dog makes you tired.
This is good advice. Thank you.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Actually, dogs are obsessed with ranking and being an 8th level ‘Good Boy’ is much coveted.
Maybe it was a statement of self declared rank when he once peed on my newly washed Gi?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While our son and daughter-in-law were on their Switzerland honeymoon for 2-weeks we (I) kept their English Bulldog. A pleasant enough animal and experience. But he is an inside dog, which I am just not used to. We used to have hunting dogs, which, or course, stayed outside. And had a purpose.
This is a sincere question. How do you handle or get used to the shedding and furniture destruction? He never chews on anything but is rough on the surfaces. I imagine your shedding is several orders higher than just the single Bulldog.
I love the Pyrenees breed.
All three of the big dogs can open the back door and let themselves in and out. And the Border/Pyr will hold it open for the little dog.
They have plenty of things they can chew on and we have a robot vacuum. Daily brushing is a must. I generally do that outside so the hair can just blow away.
We are fairly rural, and there are a ton of coyotes out here. Also fox and raccoon. They don't come near out property thanks to these guys.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The dojo is in between house and the backyard so my dog comes through to go do his business and says a quick hello to the students. But that is about it. Kind of sucks when the yard is muddy and he tracks it over the mats but that's life.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use to have a big red pit bull named Puck that would pee on guys he didn’t like. He would also decide to guard visiting children from their own parents. I had to get your kids for you if you wanted to leave.
I think those are just clear signs that he was the goodest boy ever!

Latest Discussions