Train what you carry?

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
How many of you train with a knife that is even close to your carry blade?
Or for that matter train to deploy it?

I've been working with the idea and this is what I've come up with.
These went to an East coast FMA guy.
Les_trainers.jpg

So what do you think?
Is it important to train the blade you would like to carry?
Or is a generic blade shaped object good enough?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
CRUCIAL!
and something that not a lot of people think of.
Sort of like 'blade deployment skills'. The BEST knife and the BEST knife fighting skills do you NO good if the belt can't be accessed and deployed in time.

Your Brother
John

OP
B

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
CRUCIAL!
and something that not a lot of people think of.
Sort of like 'blade deployment skills'. The BEST knife and the BEST knife fighting skills do you NO good if the belt can't be accessed and deployed in time.

Your Brother
John

That is my feeling too John.
Too often training starts with knives out and that's ok for the aspects being covered.
But it totally ignores the access of the blade which is JUST as important maybe as you said more so.

Look at JMA, they have Kendo and they have Iaido.
While the sword is not reasonable for carry in our society the ideas they trained still have value.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
don't know why I said 'belt'
I meant blade.

sorry...
the best keyboard in the world does me NO good if I'm sleepy as hell.

Your Brother
John

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is very important to train with a trainer that approximates what you regularly carry. In the moment it can only help!
icon6.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian,
Do your people do deployment drills? Or do you mix deployment into existing drills?

Hey Bill,

We absolutely do alot of deployment drills plus mix them in with other
drills. Nothing like having a single stick drill that rolls right into a spontaneous stick & dagger drill or trapping hands that goes from empty hands to tools based training. (lots of variations) That keeps it fresh and lots of fun for everyone.
icon6.gif

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Deployment is a big part of the knife course at our school. A lot of the time we start with an empty hand flow drill, and then, once you've got a good flow goin', someone pulls a knife. Gotta' be quick!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that it is very important to practice with what you carry. It's particularly important to practice deploying the knife under dynamic circumstances.

I have a trainer for all of the knives I carry on a regular basis.

Attachments

• $Picture1 021.jpg
    $Picture1 021.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 214

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that it is very important to practice with what you carry. It's particularly important to practice deploying the knife under dynamic circumstances.

I'm always frustrated by how hard it is to get an exact match trainer for my blades. Why don't companies make them as a matter-of-course?

OP
B

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm always frustrated by how hard it is to get an exact match trainer for my blades. Why don't companies make them as a matter-of-course?

Well, as a person who solves this problem for people on a regular basis I'm in the position to comment.

Trainers take almost as much time to make as a live blade does.
Most knife companies deal with things on a volume basis, hence the constant changing models and outsourcing for cheaper manufacturing.
The people that buy trainers do not represent enough volume for alot of the mainstream companies.

There are a few notable exceptions that do a great job, but most would rather not bother.

Then there is the very real need to match the carry system to the training blade.

OP
B

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score

Nice Goldsworthy. :D
Did he do the trainer?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard of people buying two knives and grinding the edge and point off of one to make a trainer.

What do you all think of this practice?

OP
B

Bill Bednarick

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've heard of people buying two knives and grinding the edge and point off of one to make a trainer.

What do you all think of this practice?

I think it's not going to happen with a 150 dollar knife. ;)
Well that and even if you take off the edge and point the blade is still thin enough to cut pretty easily.

Heck the 1/4" aluminum trainers will hurt and break the skin if not used with control. Then figure the increase of damage from a ground down live blade.

For solo use to prevent injury to yourself I like them.
For partner drills I like some thing thicker and or softer.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice Goldsworthy. :D
Did he do the trainer?

nice to see a fellow aficionado :D Yeah, he did the trainer as well. Do you have any of his stuff? If so, which one(s)?

arnisador said:
I think the main reason is pretty much what Bill said (cost of manufacturing vs. demand). Most people who carry a knife for self-defense don't bother to actually train with what they carry. When I've told people that the trainers often cost as much as the live-blades, they just don't understand why I'd spend that much for a "fake knife" :rolleyes:

I doubt that the companies will ever offer trainers for every model but it'd be nice if more companies would have trainers for most of their popular models. Benchmade, Emerson, Spyderco, and some of the semi-custom companies/makers are pretty good about this but many of the others are not.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what do you think? Is it important to train the blade you would like to carry?
Or is a generic blade shaped object good enough?

I think its REAL important to train that way, it only make sense..But what do I know, I'm just a dumb street cop..Now for disarming practice I don't mind using the aluminum fixed blade trainers..The LE community needs a quality folder trainer for realistic training...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its REAL important to train that way, it only make sense..But what do I know, I'm just a dumb street cop..Now for disarming practice I don't mind using the aluminum fixed blade trainers..The LE community needs a quality folder trainer for realistic training...
I'm putting a little work on one you can deploy and strike with Drac!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, as a person who solves this problem for people on a regular basis I'm in the position to comment.

Trainers take almost as much time to make as a live blade does.
Most knife companies deal with things on a volume basis, hence the constant changing models and outsourcing for cheaper manufacturing.
The people that buy trainers do not represent enough volume for alot of the mainstream companies.

There are a few notable exceptions that do a great job, but most would rather not bother.

Then there is the very real need to match the carry system to the training blade.

Add in the fact of cost as in the trainer costs as much as the blade to make, so to market them at the near same cost also makes it out of the price for the average person to spend. As stated by Bill those who train what they carry is not the large amount of the population. And those that do think sometimes they could get a second knife versus the trainer.

Latest Discussions