Traffic Stop Gone Bad Video!

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cops have the potential to be killed in everything they do. Their job is to go towards danger; to go to the sound of the guns. Cops make "routine" contact with people under the worst possible situations, and, in the US, there's always a gun there when a cop is there. I've gone on calls that seemed to have no potential for violence, only to end up wrestling with someone... I've seen someone who had never been even uncooperative suddenly attack one of my partners... and seen someone known for fighting and resisting go meek as a kitten. You never know what's going to happen, yet, out of hundreds of traffic stops, Terry stops, and other contacts with people -- I've only had a handful of fights. That's why complacency becomes such an easy trap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of LEOs, but since my daughter was born I just can't put myself in harms way like that voluntarily.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Brian...And some folks wonder why you might see 2 or 3 cruisers on a traffic stop...

I understand it. Many see my size in the vehicle and call for a second vehicle. Be it for tail light out or what have you.

A friend of mine is a police officer in a larger SE Mich City which makes the charts for violence. He made a comment a few years ago to me. "Rich, I like training with you and your half speed and half contact level. I have been hit on the street at a lighter level by those whose were trying to hurt me." His point was that the level of contact was good for his training as well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I routinely back up other officers on traffic stops, even if it's with a 90-year old grandma. Why? Because that grannie can apply 2 to 8 pounds pressure to a trigger just as easily as an 18 year old banger. And because stupidity can happen anytime... I don't have a link handy, but I'm sure many have seen the clip where the cop tells a woman "let's step over here in case a car hits us..." just before a car blasts into his cruiser. The threat that time wasn't the person he stopped...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! That certainly was an eye opener. Now, its hard to know everything from a video, but you have to wonder why he officer made no attempt to call for backup sooner. Not sure how long ago this clip was taken, but many of the portable radios have panic buttons on them. Even if they can't talk into the mic and ask for help, the dispatcher will know their location and be able to send them a backup.

The cops in the dept. that I dispatch for are all very good about backing each other up. Its always better to be on the safe side.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "panic button" on many radios is this tiny recessed thing [to avoid accidental activation], not the easiest thing to do when fine motor skill goes bye-bye. and when its fight time, sometimes calling on the radio takes a backseat.

Regarding this situation, I cant be too critical about the fight itself, the guy survived a fight with a guy who drastically outsized him. Sometimes the real world doesnt work out the way you envision things no matter how much training you have. However I am critical about the decision to take a guy like that out of a car without back-up.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The "panic button" on many radios is this tiny recessed thing [to avoid accidental activation], not the easiest thing to do when fine motor skill goes bye-bye. and when its fight time, sometimes calling on the radio takes a backseat.

Regarding this situation, I cant be too critical about the fight itself, the guy survived a fight with a guy who drastically outsized him. Sometimes the real world doesnt work out the way you envision things no matter how much training you have. However I am critical about the decision to take a guy like that out of a car without back-up.

I'll have to take a look at the radios the cops use where I work to see the exact position and size of this button, but IMO, it can't be that small and out of reach because they're constantly hitting it by accident.

Even something such as keying up the mic a few times would be enough to draw attention. While I admit that in the heat of something, your mind is going a mile a minute, but looking at that video, there were a few times that would have allowed the officer to call or make some signal for help.

For myself, I usually make it a habit to check on them within a certain time frame when they're on a stop.

All in all, I'm glad that the officer in this clip came out ok.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Brian...And some folks wonder why you might see 2 or 3 cruisers on a traffic stop...

Exactly, better safe then sorry. I have to give the little guy credit as stated here, didn't give up. Sometimes, the bad guy is just bigger and stronger, training yes, an absolute for staying safe no, your mind is that.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score

Exactly, better safe then sorry. I have to give the little guy credit as stated here, didn't give up. Sometimes, the bad guy is just bigger and stronger, training yes, an absolute for staying safe no, your mind is that.

Latest Discussions