Bar Fight and Random Violence!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay take a look at how quickly a situation can change. Two people get layed out by one person in a matter of moments.

[yt]pKdZgeesw68[/yt]

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if the first guy had much of a chance, but the 2nd guy had plenty of time to react. Looks like he was trying to calm him down or talk to him, and froze for too long when the attacker grabbed him.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
One good punch when you aren't ready for it can ruin your whole day.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know if the first guy had much of a chance, but the 2nd guy had plenty of time to react. Looks like he was trying to calm him down or talk to him

Too many Verbal Judo and Tounge-Fu lessons

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It'd be good to know what the circumstances were that lead up to it? But yeah, one punch -- done right definitely wipes out the day's agenda.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks to me like he head but the first guy and the second guy tried to hold him but left him in a good position. I dobn't think he'll be welcome in that bar in the near future.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
how many of us practice our 2-handed grabs like that?

what's that noise? oh yeah - that's a wake-up call.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Very few people would have been able to defend themselves in this sitution. The push and punch was unexpected.

Like the False crack? ...almost impossible to defend? ...and the guy ran away...very smart move!

Aloha, (things can happen so fast and unexpectedly)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Falling down is easy.

Getting back up is hard.

Having been taken by surprise before it sucks. Lucky for me or my think skull I did not go down.

As to the video, the guys who got it first seemed to be a part of the problem. He was moving around a lot. Made motions and also was handling the women present. Some of the women even approached him first in what I would consider to be possible a non friendly body expression.

The guy was grabbed and slammed in the head. The other guy could have been just trying to avoid an issue. I agree he did hesitate too long.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's one of my favorite videos (it's been out for a few years). Don't know the circumstances, but it's a perfect example of "speed and violence of action."

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This just underscores the point that I try to make with my students. You need to be able to take a shot or two and keep going. A good flinch or defensive turn can keep you on your feet and in the action. The reality is that is all anyone had time for. Both shots landed clean and hard because of the lack of these reflexes.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
how many of us practice our 2-handed grabs like that?

what's that noise? oh yeah - that's a wake-up call.
We do at our dojo. Our childrens white belt curriculum is about half grabs like that. The adults will work that two hand grab from both a static and a lunging attack with both hands going for the throat or the chest. Close in it's a real ***** ...gives you a true wake up call on keeping your distance as best as possible.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It definitely appears that the one guy was the problem, and the guy who took the others out was solving it. I'd really like to know the back story.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We do but we call that one a two handed offensive push. Soft vison awareness should be on at all times, that was his mistake.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
yep, a push as a result of the agressive grab, and then an immediate pull into the headbutt, which I believe was the intended attack... the pushing it appears may be just a by-product of the grab.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Judo you are taught to sometimes to push an opponent away from you before you redirect and pull him forward into a throw. If you are pushed backwards your natural reflex will be to try and counter by pushing forward.
In the street many street wise fighters will pull you inward then push you backward.
Only that guy knows for sure.

Latest Discussions